Pille1

Compound bow

Compound bow  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a compound bow in DayZ?

• Yes, it would be a great addition to the game.
    • No, it would be a waste of developing time.

Rocket stated, that he wants to drastically reduce the military weapons spawn rate and add improvised weapons, throwing items and bow and arrow. (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vulr2/i_am_dean_rocket_hall_creator_of_dayz_and/cew49x5)

So I thought it would be a cool addition to have a compound bow in-game. It adds some variety to non-firearm weapons and would fit greatly into the current weapon attachement system.

A compound bow:

231695.jpg

Attachements:

Stabilizer:

IMG_pro_stabilizer.gif

1. A light stabilizer: 

+ The bow is more accurate than without a stabilizer

- The bow is heavier than without a stabilizer

2. A heavy stabilizer:

+ The bow is more accurate than a with a light a stabilizer

- The bow is heavier than with a light stabilizer

Bow sight:

ignitesight.jpg

340019.jpg

Different bow sights, which vary from a bow sight with pins to a red dot bow sight. The bow sights are adjustable to different ranges.

Bowstring:

western_rec_50_inch_recurve_bow_string_1

1. A light bow string:

+ faster drawing speed

- less range and damage

2. A heavy bow string:

+ more damage and range

- slower drawing speed

Quiver:

quiver-714068.jpg

1. A quiver attached to your bow (see the picture of the compound bow):

+ faster drawing speed

- contains only 4 arrows

2. A quiver attached to your belt/back:

+ can contain more arrows

- slower drawing speed

You can use both if you want, but you would have to deal with the extra weight and you would have to select which quiver gets drawn-off first.

Arrows:

fulllengtharrow.jpg

goldtip_xt-hunter-carbon-arrows-7595-400

1. A wooden arrow:

+ common loot

+ craftable

- less accurate, damage and range

- less stable

2. A carbon arrow:

+ more accurate, damage and range

+ more stable

- not craftable

- rare loot

Where to find?:

Overall its rarer to find than a normal wooden bow.

Locations:

Deer stands: common

Hunters huts: common

(Hunting) shops: medium

Residential houses: rare

Everywhere else: very rare

So what do you think about adding a compound bow to DayZ?

Edited by Pille1
  • Like 38

Great, but also, if you'd like to suggest an item, please remember to use the search function, they is a suggest an item thread in my signature

Very nice idea, i will be the new Robin Hood muahahahaha, save the players from bandits and give them beans

Very nice idea, i will be the new Robin Hood muahahahaha, save the players from bandits and give them beans

Or daryl dixon

Great, but also, if you'd like to suggest an item, please remember to use the search function, they is a suggest an item thread in my signature

Your thread isn't official in any way. As long as there haven't been another thread about compound bows he can make one.

• Like 2

Yea bows are cool and all but people really have a hard on for them...

Your thread isn't official in any way. As long as there haven't been another thread about compound bows he can make one.

Yes, i do know, sorry to interupt again, but if he wanted to make more suggestions he always could, and post them there.

Great suggestion man, you have my beans! ;) 

Recurves please along with improvised bows

I can think of a new use for duct tape string and a bundle of sticks

I have made one of these myself and they work fairly well as long as the sticks are bound tightly and you unstring the bow after use. They are relatively weak poundage wise something like 25-35lbs but are sufficient to kill an animal with proper stalking techniques and shot placement

These should be a low tier item that can be crafted at will with sticks ductape and rope

haradrim_bow.png

• Like 4

Not a bad idea. Strings and the 'wings' on the bow should also degrade with usage. I think the maximum usage on compound bows is somewhere around 3,000 shots (might have been 10,000 - been a while, correct me if I'm wrong) and 1,000 for recurves. Strings would be affected by wet weather and only last a few minutes before being rendered unusable unless oiled. Wooden recurves would need to be kept out of the rain or risk being ruined entirely.

I will be adding this to the Community's weapon suggestion list. You will receive full credit for your work!

That's an awesome, thanks and beans for the well thought out post, also hella yeah I'd love to see this in game.

I didn't know there was something like heavy or light strings. My bow has only one string and I can adjust it to shoot from 45 pounds to 60 pounds. If it is for gameplay sakes, I'm good with it. The only problem with compound bows is that you can't shoot improvised arrows unless you improvise them with aluminum or carbon fiber, which doesn't seem too much like an improvisation.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

wantwantwantwantwantwant

nownownownownownownow

beansbeansbeansbeansbeans

I reeeeeaaaaalllly cant wait for the day. Cannot happen soon enough. I SOOOOOOOO want to hunt down other players with a bow and arrow, uber sneaky skill shots to the head ftw.

hurryhurryhurryhurryhurryhurry

I would like to add that, if a compound bow (or any kind of bow) gets added, the reloading process should take a fair amount of time just like in real life. Many games (and LotR) have led many people to believe than you can shoot a bow as quickly as you can mimic the movement of taking an arrow out of you quiver and placing it in the bow. I was quite a quick shooter and was not even close to the reloading speeds you see on games or movies. I usually laugh my ass of when I watch movies like LotR or Hunger Games.

FIrst thing i thought when i saw that bow, is that it looks like something that belongs in a steampunk environment.

These bows are already a rare find in our society.

Sorry to be negative, you gave it much thought! But if you would ask me, i don't think they belong in this game.

I would expect something more rudimentary

Let's not focus on that particular model of compound bow, which may be easy to purchase in the United States or Europe, but I know I can't find it (let's not even talk about price) in Argentina or the rest of South America. Still, a simpler compound bow like mine can be quite effective for hunting or self defense and aren't THAT hard to find. Longbows or improvised bow are a must, at least for hunting without giving your position away. We can forget about all those fancy gadgets for the bow, I agree. I'm not that skilled with the bow and I was able to consistently hit a surface the size of a quarter at 20 meters and even hit something of the size of a tangerine at 40 meters. I would say it's enough to hunt something or hit a person in the head.

Edited by Corto

I would like to add that, if a compound bow (or any kind of bow) gets added, the reloading process should take a fair amount of time just like in real life. Many games (and LotR) have led many people to believe than you can shoot a bow as quickly as you can mimic the movement of taking an arrow out of you quiver and placing it in the bow. I was quite a quick shooter and was not even close to the reloading speeds you see on games or movies. I usually laugh my ass of when I watch movies like LotR or Hunger Games.

You could do it at that speed if you're used to a high poundage with an extremely low poundage bow... but you wouldn't have a hope in hell of hitting anything XD

• Like 1

Hahaha, indeed. I'm used to my bow set to 60 pounds (not a lot if you think about hunting, but it's a good balance between power and endurance). Still, you have to take the arrow from the quiver (I used it at my side, hanging from my belt) and attach the butt of the arrow correctly to the string. Perhaps I could find what an expert in bow tricks can do, but I doubt a regular Joe would be able to perform as fast or as accurate as an expert (I'm a regular Joe).

Let me just say that I think the idea of lowering the spawn rate of military weapons is a GREAT idea, and I like the idea of the compound bow and any other improvised weapon of the sort, especially if it takes multiple pieces to craft it.  HOWEVER, I don't like the idea of all of the fancy shmancy attachments.  Additional compound bow parts such as a simple quiver and a stabilizer would be sufficient.