Sign in to follow this  
dashx73 (DayZ)

How to improve Loot Spawns / Item placement

Currently individual items are being scattered throughout the world, many of which are floating or cannot be reached "on top of locker or under bed, or floating halfway between wall, or do not appear until walking up to empty space and they suddenly appear in front of you on the ground or slightly above it.

Create objects that can be searched instead of individual items placed on the ground

These objects can be programmed to randomly "dispense items" that only appear while "looting the object"

such as cupboards, trashcans, bins, dumpsters, lockers, crates, boxes, weapon lockers, tool kits, and have items randomly spawned inside of "said containers" based on the area found and type of container being searched

It should be: When a player searches an object, a search animation begins, and depending on the object being searched items relative to the type of container will appear in the loot menu"

Lets say a player walks into a house, and there are 4 containers, a kitchen fridge, a storage shed toolbox,  an old weapon display case, and a pantry.

The player walks up to the fridge and begins to loot, after a small animation and wait time, the fridge randomly generates items, "some old cheese, stale bread, a lightbulb, and food container. These items  will only show to that player, and have a chance to be different if another player searches it, but have a very high chance of being similar.  Instead of these items showing up on the floor or actually inside the fridge, they only show up in the "loot menu that appears when pressing "tab" the player can then drag the items into their inventory or choose to leave them. 

If the player leaves and comes back the fridge could have new items after a certain time has passed, or just has a percentage to generate items each time. and then a container cool down timer, if a player recently searched the object, only those items would appear until the cool down timer expires and then new items could appear.

these containers can automatically clean themselves, if one person searches objects they might produce something different than another item, for the simple fact that one person could be better at looking or even implemented as a hidden skill.

I don't feel that spawning individual objects across the world is the best way to go about it.

Lets make containers instead!

Edited by dashx73
  • Like 2

Recently played 'State of Decay'?

No but seriously I find this someway good, someway bad.

Bad news first:

-This would automatically make open shelfs or boards unusable.

-Three people searching the same shelf, everyone finds something different. That wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

Pros:

-Items need not to be in the server cache all the time and it can be utilized for other things.

-Pants wouldn't just lie in an alleyway. Or maybe this is intended in some storytelling aspect. Did anyone ever see a pantless zombie?

Seriously what do you think?

My beans to op for making a constructive post!

I remember rocket talking about a hidden skill tree,

that took place while preforming actions, heal your buddy and suddenly you become better with medical supplies, do alot of running and you get higher stamina, loot objects and you have a better chance of finding something useful.

Bad news first:

-This would automatically make open shelfs or boards unusable.

-Three people searching the same shelf, everyone finds something different. That wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

How i see it, is the same thing can happen In real life you would have three people open the same fridge

one would open the fridge and see the shelves were empty and close and walk away

one would open and notice a single slice of cheese in the bottom rack of the fridge and an old apple in the bottom drawer,

the third would open the fridge, and actually take the tray out of the fridge and use it as a container, while also removing the lightbulb from the top of the fridge and fitting it in his flashlight..

Pros:

-Items need not to be in the server cache all the time and it can be utilized for other things.

-Pants wouldn't just lie in an alleyway. Or maybe this is intended in some storytelling aspect. Did anyone ever see a pantless zombie?

Seriously what do you think?

More Pros would be that this would take a huge load off of the server cache, and I have other ideas for even improving it further that could ultimatly remove "server resetting as a something that has to occur constantly"

Items could still appear in the alleyway if a player actually put them there. 

Edited by dashx73

I think this is something they will be doing down the road at least I hope but right now its so early alpha you know. I know, I know every one says it alpha and I know you know that and it is just a suggestion so I am not trying to say "shut up its alpha". I think containers will be something once we get tents/construction in the game. Also when we have more ways of eating drinking and crafting items he might lower spawn rates and put in containers. It would be nice to go in a damn house and open a fridge or shelf to get my stuff not be like ooo a pile of shit someone left behind in a hurry.

I guess I just want to be on the payroll to help actually see these suggestions end up in the game.

Instead of simply just accepting that it is alpha and not at least having an expression or give input.

I know that most of these ideas that I have could probably be covered if they have a bigger dev team, but I worry still.

Yes it is alpha, but they need to make sure that they go in the right direction, starting with hiring people who can help to maintain that direction, starting with the very very basic system optimizations so that one day you will have a really solid game.

Even when I walk into houses I am like, okay I should be able to search this fridge, instead of pickup items that are floating everywhere

then I think, okay this door in this room needs to be removed because it doesn't lead anywhere.

and I think, okay how many people are working on this game, there is alot of work to do.. how do I get on payroll

Edited by dashx73