Garz

DayZ character bug has made the game pretty much unplayable, really need some help or a fix.

About 6 days ago me and a friend along with others in the server all got teleported into the ocean, after about 6 hours my friend died of de-hydration and about an hour later so did I, but when I pressed respawn it put me in the same spot in the ocean dying of de-hydration, skip forward way over 24 IRL hours of swimming and I'm still not dead. I have been dying of de-hydration and starvation for over 20 hours aswell, my screen has gone as grey as it possibly can but I'm still not dead.

With this new patch it has rolled me back but because of how long it I have been in the sea it has just rolled me back in the same situation I was in before the patch, in the middle of the sea dying of both de-hydration and starvation.

I have also tried every trick in the book to wipe the character, the steam name change, reinstalling, deleting profile files, server hopping to try and de-sync from the hive and trying to set a new default character, pretty much every tip and trick I could find on reddit and here on the forums.

I was hoping this patch could of been my saving grace with a character wipe but it's not quite gone that way haha, so does anyone have ANY idea on what to do? I would love some input from someone who is heavily involved with the game but I obviously understand they will be getting spammed daily with 'my character is gone' etc messages so I understand if they are busy.

Thanks in advance for any replys, Garz.

• Like 1

Well there was a character wipe however some servers are still running on the old hive settings (i.e. haven't updated to new hive) and therefore your old character on those servers will still be active. I suggest hopping around servers for now until you find one with the new hive (until all the servers update)

Well you can just re-gear your dude in 2 - 4 hours. I don't get what all the fuss is about.

• Like 2

Well there was a character wipe however some servers are still running on the old hive settings (i.e. haven't updated to new hive) and therefore your old character on those servers will still be active. I suggest hopping around servers for now until you find one with the new hive (until all the servers update)

I have read about these servers with different hives, but so far what I have read people are saying the hive the servers are all going to be put on is the rollback character hive, not with the one with the fresh characters, but I hope I am wrong.

Well you can just re-gear your dude in 2 - 4 hours. I don't get what all the fuss is about.

I dont mind regearing my character, the probelem is he is stuck in the middle of the sea dying of de-hydration and starvation but will not die, and I don't mean I have waited an hour and he hasnt died, I have been swimming for nearly 24 hours real time, while dying of de-hydration and starvation and he isn't dying with a full grey screen, thats the issue.

Did you actually read his post? He is stuck in the middle of the water. He mentions nothing about gearing up. :huh:

I have read about these servers with different hives, but so far what I have read people are saying the hive the servers are all going to be put on is the rollback character hive, not with the one with the fresh characters, but I hope I am wrong.

That is wishful thinking for some (the loot nutters as I call them) but I highly doubt that.

Hi.

Have you tried switching to the hardcore servers. Your supposed to have different characters for regular/hardcore servers so it might work.

Regards.

Did you actually read his post? He is stuck in the middle of the water. He mentions nothing about gearing up. :huh:

ha i just read character bug and assumed he was referring to the whole hive mess xD shame on me

...and where on earth did you get stuck in the water that you cant reach land ANYWHERE? Like there's no shore to swim to and die peacefully upon the sands? hmm that blows...well did you ever think of telling someone where you're at, and then someone can come put you out of your misery?

So you believe that all the servers will eventually be updated to the new hive that has the fresh spawns? I hope so haha.

Hi.

Have you tried switching to the hardcore servers. Your supposed to have different characters for regular/hardcore servers so it might work.

Regards.

Thanks for the response, yeah I have a fresh character on the hardcore server, yeah this makes the game 'playable' for me but i'm sure you understand I still want my regular character fixed aswell, not only incase I can't get into a hardcore server but when playing with friends it makes it harder to all get into a hardcore server with multiple people and they might not want to play hardcore.

So you believe that all the servers will eventually be updated to the new hive that has the fresh spawns? I hope so haha.

Thanks for the response, yeah I have a fresh character on the hardcore server, yeah this makes the game 'playable' for me but i'm sure you understand I still want my regular character fixed aswell, not only incase I can't get into a hardcore server but when playing with friends it makes it harder to all get into a hardcore server with multiple people and they might not want to play hardcore.

Well my question is do you know where you are at? Because if you do, I would be glad to come and put a bullet in you and help you out :D 

ha i just read character bug and assumed he was referring to the whole hive mess xD shame on me

...and where on earth did you get stuck in the water that you cant reach land ANYWHERE? Like there's no shore to swim to and die peacefully upon the sands? hmm that blows...well did you ever think of telling someone where you're at, and then someone can come put you out of your misery?

Don't worry mate just a simple misunderstanding, I have no idea where to go to land, someone linked me a server saying the sun was always over the east cost on his server so if I swam towards it I would reach land no matter where I was in the sea, after 10 hours of swimming my friend joined the server and said the sun was in the south, so I had been swimming away from land, and after this rollback I have no idea where I am in the sea. With me being so far out aswell I can't really get anyone to shoot me either so thats out the question. Sure I could perhaps start swimming away from the sun but with no idea where abouts I currently am I'm sure you understand after all this fucking swimming i've done over the past 6 days I'm really sick of it haha.

If you're running into character loading issues on servers, report the IP to the server so that they can work with the providers to help fix them. Dean just posted this here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/167343-servers-with-connection-issues-to-central-hive/

Don't worry mate just a simple misunderstanding, I have no idea where to go to land, someone linked me a server saying the sun was always over the east cost on his server so if I swam towards it I would reach land no matter where I was in the sea, after 10 hours of swimming my friend joined the server and said the sun was in the south, so I had been swimming away from land, and after this rollback I have no idea where I am in the sea. With me being so far out aswell I can't really get anyone to shoot me either so thats out the question. Sure I could perhaps start swimming away from the sun but with no idea where abouts I currently am I'm sure you understand after all this fucking swimming i've done over the past 6 days I'm really sick of it haha.

I'm gonna come help you out. I'm sending you a message with my steam name and we'll figure this out!

Turn on the game - make char autorun (swim in this case) - go to bed. Should have died of starvation until you wake up?

Like I said in the original post, I have been swimming for over 24 hours real life time dying of de-hydration and starvation but the character just won't die, I'm pretty sure it's bugged as it died once but when I respawned it put me in the sea again still dying.

If you're running into character loading issues on servers, report the IP to the server so that they can work with the providers to help fix them. Dean just posted this here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/167343-servers-with-connection-issues-to-central-hive/

Thanks for the link but if anything I think it proves how fucked I am lol, the server I.P's he listed are the only servers I can actually play on, all the 'Working' ones with the correct hive are the ones on which I have the bugged character :/ I'm up shit creek without a paddle it would seem :(

Really needs a suicide option next to respawn.

always carry at least one piece of rotten fruit.

• Like 1

always carry at least one piece of rotten fruit.

I agree but it doesn't help when your character is invincible lol.

We will fix this issue for your characters (and others who might have it) during database maintenance this weekend. Unfortunately it is too risky for us to attempt a fix during the database going live, as it is very complex for us to find the blood value.

I investigated and I believe the issue is that on some very rare occasions, a players blood value gets so incredibly low that the method for dealing with blood lowering stops working. I.e. when you blood is very low, the floating point value of the blood reduction is so low that it is considered zero for calculation, therefore you never loose blood.

Sorry for this, I will make sure that system is changed to deal with this situation.

• Like 5

We will fix this issue for your characters (and others who might have it) during database maintenance this weekend. Unfortunately it is too risky for us to attempt a fix during the database going live, as it is very complex for us to find the blood value.

I investigated and I believe the issue is that on some very rare occasions, a players blood value gets so incredibly low that the method for dealing with blood lowering stops working. I.e. when you blood is very low, the floating point value of the blood reduction is so low that it is considered zero for calculation, therefore you never loose blood.

Sorry for this, I will make sure that system is changed to deal with this situation.

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated, I know you guys are hella busy with everything currently so I have no problem waiting, it's just nice to get some clarification on the matter. I agree that you should wait till the weekend aswell, no point trying to fix a rare issue while you are stabilizing a new build.

Once again thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

Edited by Garz

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated, I know you guys are hella busy with everything currently so I have no problem waiting, it's just nice to get some clarification on the matter. I agree that you should wait till the weekend aswell, no point trying to fix a rare issue while you are stabilizing a new build.

Once again thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

I really wanted to fix it now, but it involves a wildcard search of a text column in the database. It's outside the risk profile of what we're allowed to do outside of routine maintenance so our database team (quite rightly) told me it needed to wait until maintenance time. I'm quite sure that you're not the only one affected by it. The rough number that Brian told me was about 1:15000 people might be affected but most probably die via some other means without noticing.

Perhaps take comfort that your (unusual) plight has highlighted a rare issue and thus will allow it to be fixed.

Guess for the moment he has to live with it.....

(sorry :p)

Edited by ErichZann
  • Like 1

I really wanted to fix it now, but it involves a wildcard search of a text column in the database. It's outside the risk profile of what we're allowed to do outside of routine maintenance so our database team (quite rightly) told me it needed to wait until maintenance time. I'm quite sure that you're not the only one affected by it. The rough number that Brian told me was about 1:15000 people might be affected but most probably die via some other means without noticing.

Perhaps take comfort that your (unusual) plight has highlighted a rare issue and thus will allow it to be fixed.

Haha, good way to look at it, that I have highlighted a rare bug, that's what alphas for! :D

Any update on the current situation of this bug?

Good to know. However I lost my character twice today, can you confirm there are still issues with the hive and character saves?