Sign in to follow this  
SillyWilly

Potential solution to combat logging

Make players wait 10 seconds before exiting.

This would only work in close-ranged combat situations, though. If the distance between the two players is far enough the logger can probably spare 10 seconds to leave, but if it's closer ranged and you have to act quick, it would work with no downside effects i can think of.. though that's why i created the topic, what do you all think?

Also if you don't quite understand what I mean, take WoW for example. When you select "logout" or "exit" (i forget which one) your toon sits down and a countdown of 20 or so seconds begins until you actually logout.

See, the problem with this is, when you log off for the night someone might find you in that time which is unfair due to you weren't incombat with them, it also doesn't help when a hacker tped to you and is trying to kill you, i know i always had that problem with epoch with hackers

See, the problem with this is, when you log off for the night someone might find you in that time which is unfair due to you weren't incombat with them, it also doesn't help when a hacker tped to you and is trying to kill you, i know i always had that problem with epoch with hackers

Think of the odds though. If you just spent 30 minutes searching around the place and roaming about, 10 seconds is nothing. Especially if you can find a safe spot to log off in. And perhaps while the 10 seconds is counting down, the player can still have control over his char a bit so he's able to potentially defend.

About the hackers, i don't quite understand what you mean :/

Think of the odds though. If you just spent 30 minutes searching around the place and roaming about, 10 seconds is nothing. Especially if you can find a safe spot to log off in. And perhaps while the 10 seconds is counting down, the player can still have control over his char a bit so he's able to potentially defend.

About the hackers, i don't quite understand what you mean :/

During the mod there was a large increase of Teleporting hackers, which meant while logging off boom there he was/she was to kill you when 1 second from logging off, hense why most hate the Epoch system due to the lack of anti-hack systems.

Ahhh I see. Well, I suppose that'd have to be an obstacle we face when we get there.

But also, this isn't the mod, and the devs, i would think, have a lot more freedom to work with so i hopefully they'd be able to put a stop to anything like that on here.

Of course they have a lot more freedom. But  you MUST take in consideration as Rocket says, "Hacking is impossible ti eliminate, just make it less impossible" Or something along those lines. But I believe it gets the point across 

I've seen this topic before...

1. You do not design a game solely with hackers in mind, or you might as well stop making games.
  2. It's actually the fairest way to do it, why should you get a break for not being in combat after all?
  3. Why stop at 10 seconds? 10 minutes is good too.
Edited by Lady Kyrah

I've seen this topic before...

1. You do not design a game solely with hackers in mind, or you might as well stop making games.
  2. It's actually the fairest way to do it, why should you get a break for not being in combat after all?
  3. Why stop at 10 seconds? 10 minutes is good too.

Yea that's kinda what I think. I mean, you can't always worry about hackers for every little aspect of the game..

Though 10 minutes is a bit much lol

Edited by SillyWilly

If you have ever played breaking point and had to wait to log out to take a piss you would be against this as much as I am, There is a way to tell when a player is in combat. It worked well in arma 2 when you couldn't log because  your char was in combat , gunshots fired in a close enough proximity preventing logout, no timer is needed. Combat logging will never be solved whie ppl can just end the task thru task manager anyway.... combat logging will stop with private hives and the admin ban hammer.