linfosoma

Question: What's the difference between Normal and Hardcore servers?

As the titles states, what's difference between one and the other? 

From what I have heard so far it's regarding the First / Third Person View discussion.

And I personally really like the idea of having different hives for the two variants. :)

• Like 3

For now it's only the difference between first person perspective and third. I can imagine it will affect Zombie damage/spawnrate and other things in the future. We'll see :) Really glad they split the hives though.

• Like 2

I was toying with the idea of 1st person, because deep down we all know 3rd person is a cop-out, but we take the easy option cos we can. The game is tough, we tell ourselves without not being able to see around corners either!

Now you have a choice. Hardcore or Normal. Or should that be Hardman or Noob?

Masterstroke from the devs, I have always wanted to play 1st person, but always pussied out and chose 3rd person, due to feeling the pressure and taking the easy route knowing I could justify it to myself.

Now the gauntlet has been thrown down. 1st or 3rd? Hardman or noob? Man or mouse?

I imagine the youtubers who make a killing from dayz will hate the thought of this, cos 3rd person is more fun for people who don't have the game to watch, but watching a man in 3rd person will now have their legions of followers ask, 'you can do it in 3rd person but its time to man up!

I had a fully geared up guy, but am glad now that hes been wiped and forced to accept the 1st person challenge. Its time to find out what Im really made of on this game.

• Like 9

Playing in first person only servers is definitely worth it once you get used to it, it's more immersive and while you do lose an advantage so does everybody else, so you end up feeling a little bit safer after a while.

My only concern here is figuring out if Hardcore servers have other effects like changing the balance and so on, if possible I would like to play in servers that are FPV only but remain with the default balance.

• Like 1

I don't mind first person but it makes me nauseous after awhile so i try to play in 3rd person and i don't get that issue.

My server is now listed as hardcore.

So far as I can tell, the only setting that makes it so is the 1st person option.  

I did seem to go from fresh spawn to starving in about fifteen minutes.  Which seems...retarded.  But I don't know if that's a product of the new HC listing, or just coincidental.   

• Like 2

I don't mind first person but it makes me nauseous after awhile so i try to play in 3rd person and i don't get that issue.

Turn headbob off? A mate of mine used to feel weird on 1st in the mod but once he turned bob off he was fine :)

• Like 1

there are a few more differences that where pointed out in the recent facebook post by the devs as well... for instance, all "hardcore" servers are to be synced to the same time. no more server jumping to get back to the light! they also run on a 19.5 hour day/night cycle so that if you play at a consistent time daily, your experience will be a little different each day as the time will be slightly different each day. this makes using the sun/moon to navigate a little (but not much, really) more difficult as well, as the time wont sync with the previous day. the post also stated that there will be more varied weather, from beautiful, blinding, annoyingly low sunlight to a heavy downpour. in future, i speculate this may lead to needing to have rain gear or getting sick. these are things that can be configured by the servers owner too. i cant find the original post, maybe ill edit it in after work. heres the link to their fb page tho (as if yall didnt like it already!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DayZ-Standalone/409612809086014

I have this same issue, I've actually stopped watching one of my favourite live-streamers because he switched to first-person and after ten minutes I'm running to the toilet to throw up.

That said, I won't lie and say that Third Person doesn't have some massive problems with exploiting, and I hope some compromise can be reached in the future that allows me to play in increments of longer than five minutes, while still keeping the game balanced. Though now that I think about it, is something truly an advantage is -everyone- is given the exact same advantage? 

Hmm, something to think on.

Turn head bob off, adjust to wider FOV and remove rotation blur. Shouldn't be any issues after that. I get sick at a drop of a hat but doing that I am fine.

One of the reasons in hardcore there is no 3rd person. It's just First person.

Despite the title, hardcore is actually safer.

The firefights are extremely intense though as you balance out the usage of cover and observation

This explains much, especially since I hardly use 3rd person in a regular server....