Nagant M1895 - Poll

Nagant  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Would yoy like to see it in?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later in development
    • I don't care either way.

The Nagant M1895 fires a 108 grain (7 gram) bullet at 725 ft/s (220 m/s) for a muzzle energy of 126 foot-pounds (170 joules). The Makarov fires a 93 grain (6 gram) bullet at about 980 ft/s (298 m/s) for a muzzle energy of 198 foot-pounds (268 joules). This means that the Nagant M1895 carries slightly less than two thirds of the muzzle energy of the already weak Makarov. Why would anyone want that? Add the hassle of having to eject and load ammo through a loading gate. Have you ever timed yourself reloading your Nagant revolver? How long does it take you, less than 30 seconds?

This is a novelty gun. I hope it get the attributes it has from the real world, severely underpowered rounds and utterly slow to reload, if they ever add it.

Edited by oacceptabel

It can fire various .32 caliber cartridges, not .38 caliber. The Nagant is a .30 cal revolver so the bullets are slightly oversized. It's not recommended but that's up to you.

Need .38 special for .357

The Nagant M1895 fires a 108 grain (7 gram) bullet at 725 ft/s (220 m/s) for a muzzle energy of 126 foot-pounds (170 joules).

The military surplus ammunition has about 50% more energy. More, depending on the load. Modern commercial loads are underpowered.

That being said, a few more feet per second won't make much difference. Both are still going to poke a small .30-caliber hole. It is anemic by modern standards. Will probably have decent penetration though.

The military surplus ammunition has about 50% more energy. More, depending on the load. Modern commercial loads are underpowered.

That being said, a few more feet per second won't make much difference. Both are still going to poke a small .30-caliber hole. It is anemic by modern standards. Will probably have decent penetration though.

Not very effective, as were none of the typical handguns from that period in .30, .32 or 8 mm calibres.

What purpose will it fill in game other than being a part of an armchair gunshow? :)

It can fire various .32 caliber cartridges, not .38 caliber. The Nagant is a .30 cal revolver so the bullets are slightly oversized. It's not recommended but that's up to you.

Typo.. srry

The Nagant M1895 fires a 108 grain (7 gram) bullet at 725 ft/s (220 m/s) for a muzzle energy of 126 foot-pounds (170 joules). The Makarov fires a 93 grain (6 gram) bullet at about 980 ft/s (298 m/s) for a muzzle energy of 198 foot-pounds (268 joules). This means that the Nagant M1895 carries slightly less than two thirds of the muzzle energy of the already weak Makarov. Why would anyone want that? Add the hassle of having to eject and load ammo through a loading gate. Have you ever timed yourself reloading your Nagant revolver? How long does it take you, less than 30 seconds?

This is a novelty gun. I hope it get the attributes it has from the real world, severely underpowered rounds and utterly slow to reload, if they ever add it.

Really? As gews said, thats commercial ammo.

To reload it it takes around 30 secounds, not that much more than any other revolver without speedloaders. For unloading, you can just have a spare cylinder. I do. This isn't that effective for reloading, but it works well if a shell gets jammed in.

And so what? They're common, it doesn't matter if they're obsolete. It just forces players to search for another gun, or keep this becuase no magazines are needed. They are also pretty accurate, so it would have some use there.

In DayZ, we don't need top-of-the-line pythons. A common-ish, accurate but slow to reload revolver would fit well into the game 

What purpose will it fill in game other than being a part of an armchair gunshow? :)

Doesn't really matter to me, the only consideration is "would I find this in real life"?

Just want to add in at least three of the Russian news stories I found, the Nagants had been used or converted to fire other ammunition, in one case bored larger, in another case turned into a smoothbore, in another case the guy made his own ammo, which didn't work out very well for him. Not exactly common stuff these days.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

Hmm... Russian pigs sending it all to the US...

Edit: how many nagants did you see, Vs how many modern .45 guns or .357 guns?

Edited by thedogfoodyayho

In Russia not as many as more modern handguns, but still quite a few.

In other former Warsaw Pact countries, none or almost none.

Chernarus WAS russia, though, not another country.

But did you see FNXs and Pythons?

I doubt it..

But did you see FNXs and Pythons?

I doubt it..

No FNXs or Pythons. The Python is such a bad choice.

It looks pretty muchl ike what you'd expect. Mostly cheap guns, mostly older models./

u10eRzU.png

To reload it it takes around 30 secounds, not that much more than any other revolver without speedloaders. For unloading, you can just have a spare cylinder. I do. This isn't that effective for reloading, but it works well if a shell gets jammed in.

And so what? They're common, it doesn't matter if they're obsolete. It just forces players to search for another gun, or keep this becuase no magazines are needed. They are also pretty accurate, so it would have some use there.

In DayZ, we don't need top-of-the-line pythons. A common-ish, accurate but slow to reload revolver would fit well into the game 

You can load .357 Magnum performance in .38 Special cases too, but many guns in .38 Special will simply not hold up to the pressure. It would not be reasonable to "power up" guns a lot over their original designs. Yes, there are hotter loads than the original military load quoted by me above, but it's still just a very slow Makarov. I shoot with modern revolvers regularly, and I reload in just below 10 seconds without any kind of speedloader. Being able to eject all cases at once easily split reloading time in half.

The guns are may be common, but how common is the ammo? It's like Browning 1903's in 9x20mm Browning Long, many guns, very little ammo.

I completely agree that the Python was a horrible decision. Hmm, MAYBE a few pea shooters would fit in. But let's throw in a few Webley revolvers also? ;)

Chernarus IS fiction.

Doesn't really matter to me, the only consideration is "would I find this in real life"?

A gun without ammo is not very useful. How much ammo are there lying around for the Nagant revolver? I'd imagine it dried up really quick after they fell out of militart/police use in the USSR.

Many historically interesting guns share that common fate, falling into obsolence just because there is no ammo made for them anymore.

There is actaully quite alot left. They made it up to the late 70s and most was held in armories until recently.

Almost all the ammunition used in Mosins today was made in the same time period.

Btw, the Nagant is still used by security guards and in a few police agencys in russia.

Anyone got a clue what it is? Started comparing it to a few models from Colt and Taurus with vented barrel ribs, but the locking notches in the cylinder does not seem to match.

Who knows, I'll throw out some wild guesses: Ekol Viper 4.5, Zoraki R1 4.5.

Who knows, I'll throw out some wild guesses: Ekol Viper 4.5, Zoraki R1 4.5.

It does seem to share features with the Zoraki R1, but why take a pellet gun to a riot?

If you make yourself a primary target by brandishing a firearm, you'd better have the the ability to shoot too.

It does seem to share features with the Zoraki R1, but why take a pellet gun to a riot?

If you make yourself a primary target by brandishing a firearm, you'd better have the the ability to shoot too.

Who knows, wouldn't seem smart, but neither would a real gun. Just asking to be shot.

It's not quite a pellet pistol... It comes in 4mm Flobert (AKA 4mm Randz Curte) and various blank cartridges, the 9mm blank version can also fire "pepper" or CS rounds. The 4mm Flobert sends a 0.5 gram pellet at 280 m/s, that's 920 ft/s and 20 joules energy, so more like... a pellet rifle. Weak.

In some countries these guns are much easier to get or even entirely unregulated. I don't know if that's the case in the Ukraine and I don't care to look it up right now.

I'm not sure that's what this revolver is, just throwing the option out there.

A thousand times yes. Nagant Pistols should actually be fairly common so far as firearms go.

Also, i don't know if you know this, but the nagant's nearly unique gas seal cylinder and "unique"(read: annoyingly complex to manufacture and pathetically underpowered) ammunition (its ammo sucks and is about as powerful as 380acp if not less so. Better than .22lr though) allow it to be suppressed.

You read that right, despite shooting a stupidly weak caliber round, the nagant pistol is the only revolver in the world that was produced in sufficient numbers that can be effectively suppressed. See the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

Beans this post. Not sure if DayZ devs know about this.

A thousand times yes. Nagant Pistols should actually be fairly common so far as firearms go.

Also, i don't know if you know this, but the nagant's nearly unique gas seal cylinder and "unique"(read: annoyingly complex to manufacture and pathetically underpowered) ammunition (its ammo sucks and is about as powerful as 380acp if not less so. Better than .22lr though) allow it to be suppressed.

You read that right, despite shooting a stupidly weak caliber round, the nagant pistol is the only revolver in the world that was produced in sufficient numbers that can be effectively suppressed. See the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

Beans this post. Not sure if DayZ devs know about this.

Know about the gas seal, yes

I just didn't wanna go into explaining it.

Norris, have you linked this to a dev wet?

Pwetty pls??