psyxizer

Hordes of zombies

Hello everybody. This is my suggestion.

Can we find hordes of zombies migrating over all map in future? It will be dangerous and make strong action. They can moves slowly from town to town over roads, forest, swamp and so on... Sometimes people can be trapped by hordes of zombies on the roof of building for some time... So, it will be great adventure.

• Like 3

I believe rocket is looking into that. could be wrong

As much as i'd like that idea, i -highly highly- doubt ever seeing it using the current engine, but i've been proven wrong before.

Also, woo 400.

• Like 1

Oh... it's so sad... maybe hordes of zombies may consists low-polygonal models of zombies... (only mad man comes to horde too close to do the wrong move :))  And the horde's core may consists only 1 element-horde makes with 1 big polygon, then it can be covers by 20-30 zombies around it... There are many ways to make the game engine could handle this kind of model. Haha... it looks like shit... :( sorry.

As much as i'd like that idea, i -highly highly- doubt ever seeing it using the current engine, but i've been proven wrong before.

Edited by psyxizer

I really don't like the idea of roving hordes of zombies, it doesn't really make any sense. We'll definitely see much larger numbers of zombies later in development though.

I really don't like the idea of roving hordes of zombies, it doesn't really make any sense. We'll definitely see much larger numbers of zombies later in development though.

1. It doesn't really make any sense in science? Yes, maybe... But in "hollywood" movies... it is quite common. What is prehistory game? I don't know... Please anybody give me link for DAYZ: SA prehistory.

2. Does your answer that zombies will not be able to move between the towns (if the hordes of zombies will not be implemented)?

Edited by psyxizer

Hello everybody. This is my suggestion.

Can we find hordes of zombies migrating over all map in future? It will be dangerous and make strong action. They can moves slowly from town to town over roads, forest, swamp and so on... Sometimes people can be trapped by hordes of zombies on the roof of building for some time... So, it will be great adventure.

add zombie loot - and it would be good. People might try to take out hordes of zombies for loot or 'securing' quadrant. 

It doesn't really make any sense in science? Yes, maybe... But in "hollywood" movies... it is quite common. What is prehistory game? I don't know... Please anybody give me link for DAYZ: SA prehistory.

The "zombies" are just humans infected with a virus. It makes more sense that they would just wander around where they were before the infection took hold.

Think 28 Days Later, not The Walking Dead.

The "zombies" are just humans infected with a virus. It makes more sense that they would just wander around where they were before the infection took hold.

completely agree! Why would some zombies "decide" to wander around the map and others wouldn't? And why would they band together in a horde? Where are they going and why?

A general increase in numbers is coming once the servers can handle it performance wise. And I hope they will add zombies all over the map not just the towns. But giant hordes don't make much sense I believe. 

Edited by phoboss

The "zombies" are just humans infected with a virus.

I only just learned this as of yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it... guess I should be feeling more guilty about shooting them or sticking an axe in their heads...

Also I LOVE the idea of the roaming zombie horde :(

Can we make them zombies instead? This is the second good idea I've seen insta-trashed because they're infected, not zombies... ok one of the ideas was mine but it was good! :P

I only just learned this as of yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it... guess I should be feeling more guilty about shooting them or sticking an axe in their heads...

Also I LOVE the idea of the roaming zombie horde :(

Can we make them zombies instead? This is the second good idea I've seen insta-trashed because they're infected, not zombies... ok one of the ideas was mine but it was good! :P

It wouldn't make much of a difference, see my answer above. Why are they banding together in a horde? Where are they going? 

It wouldn't make much of a difference, see my answer above. Why are they banding together in a horde? Where are they going? 

Yeah, that was pretty much my line of thinking. They aren't migrating caribou. :S

As much as i would like to run down the road and come across 100 Z's, coming straight for me, i have to agree with most of the others.
It does not make sense some of them do it :)

Either all of them are roamers or none of them tbh.

They are looking for food, looking for warm blood. They are hunters. They can use kollektinvy mind like ants. If there is no food for them in one area, they go to another... Is that make any sense? 

• Like 2

Shitload of zombies lured to 1 spot by sound/smell and you got yourself a horde

They are looking for food, looking for warm blood. They are hunters. They can use kollektinvy mind like ants. If there is no food for them in one area, they go to another... Is that make any sense? 

It does. But then ALL of them would be doing it. Not just some. 

Ok, that's good enough! Let them move erratically. :) It will be interesting feature.

Except maybe the ones who just ate..? :P

Tbh i dont think this will even be an issue, once we get 1000+ Z's on the map.
The dev team has already said, if they turn loot of, they can run several thousand Z's on the map, with no major performance issues.

Imagine what they can do, once they get the loot and Z systems written correctly :)

Still I don't think the issue here is an explanation of or justification for roaming infected/zombies.

How much do we know about the virus?

Why do some roam and others don't?
Why do they horde? Could it be the faint flicker of humanity that causes them to band together? Instinctual and all as it is to seek safety in numbers..
Are they looking for food? Maybe they are actually seeking help but when they see non-infected the virus takes over and they go into a blind rage.
Who knows?
Who cares?
It doesn't matter.

This is a great idea that would make for a great in game experiences. In my opinion of course :)

Edited by Jaybopper
  • Like 1

True. In the end, it's not like DayZ has a lore behind it like Warcraft. With books and hundreds of hours of content. Rocket never wrote "the lore of DayZ". Everybody just makes up their own stuff and their own explanation. 

So in the end, I guess you're right. There is no right or wrong here. 

I beleve they are already comfermed

rocket has at least said he intends to have hordes

It's really a non-issue about "why?". There are many plausible explanations. They are brain-fried. Maybe one saw a bird moving and thought it might be food so he went for a walk and some other zombies saw him set off and thought he might be looking for food and followed him lemming style.

The most compelling part of the horde idea is that it breaks up the travelling routes and make your time out of towns more exciting and dangerous. You want to make a bee-line for a loot spot but a roaming horde is passing. You either have to wait and hide, hoping they don't see you, or try another approach. Maybe you're observing a town or airbase from a treeline and zombies start moving through the trees, causing you to change your position.

It provides more variety, tension and interesting experiences to the game, and it isn't implausible, so it should be in. It is consistent with Rocket's vision and something he is working towards. There is no compelling reason not to do it as long as it is technologically feasible. I really hope they can make it work.

• Like 2

Just imagine yourself in a house, slumped down under a window clutching your rifle as a horde of infected pass outside :)