Sign in to follow this  
noblue

why does one blow to head knock you out?

when you're wearing a helmet?

especially a ballistic helmet

just to be clear, I'm talking about a blunt object, or even fists

Edited by noblue

Maybe you were hit in the face.

Try wearing motorbike helmet.

Because silly. I was concerned about simple/unrealistic knockout mechanics since early 2013... looks like it happened after all.

The devs could make melee weapons have an unrealistically high chance of knocking people out. You can't magically knock someone out with a baseball bat. Unrealistic implementation.

I don't want to see many instant knockout weapons.

To make this work there needs to be a large chance of failing to knock them out, and also a chance of accidentally killing the player.
  • Like 2

Maybe you were hit in the face.

Try wearing motorbike helmet.

I wasn't

your posts are terrible

Last I heard, certain items give enough protection. But to be honest if someone gets that close, it might be too late anyway.

???

if you hit a helmeted person in the head, they are very unlikely to be knocked out

what's the point of a helmet if it doesn't work?

Edited by noblue

Because silly. I was concerned about simple/unrealistic knockout mechanics since early 2013... looks like it happened after all.

Sooo.... Did you ever get a full strenght baseball hit to the face and survived/stayed contious?

I got myself a pipe-like-item to the forhead at much lower speed, and was knocked out for a good 30 seconds. But feel free to try for yourself :P

@OP How many headshots do you think you can take? I'm fairly sure that that's gonna be a rather small number, but yeah, maybe ask a friend of yours to try it?

• Like 3

@OP How many headshots do you think you can take? I'm fairly sure that that's gonna be a rather small number, but yeah, maybe ask a friend of yours to try it?

with a helmet? plenty

and also a chance of accidentally killing the player.

If i swing a bat at your head and kill you .... its no accident. It was intended.

Not that a single blow will and chances are it wont. At best you will not feel like doing anything except moan and groan for a good while.

Edited by ShadowJack

Sooo.... Did you ever get a full strenght baseball hit to the face and survived/stayed contious?

In that thread I believe I was actually arguing you should have a large chance to cause death, cerebral hemorrhage and irreparable brain damage, etc, not just knockout as happens currently with a headshot.

when you're wearing a helmet?

especially a ballistic helmet

First it's in Alpha so ALOT of features are not working and wont be for sometime yet.

Secondly, helmets in general don't remove all possibility of losing conciousness... Rather they limit the overall long term damage obtained from a concussive head injury, eg brain damage, detached retinas, broken teeth to name a few.

Thirdly, ballistics helmets are not bullet proof, they aren't designed to be, they are bullet resistant. The chances of a ballistics helmet taking a direct hit from anything bigger than a pistol round and it NOT penetrating are actually quite slim.

As I was taught during basic training. Just because the guidelines state that "in the event of a nuclear attack, reduce your profile as much as possible by going prone, with your helmeted head pointed towards the explosion..." doesn't mean that it will guarantee that you'll live through the event. All you are doing by wearing a helmet is increasing your chances of survival, not guaranteeing it.

Edited by =FOX= Damocles
  • Like 2

First it's in Alpha so ALOT of features are not working and wont be for sometime yet.

Secondly, helmets in general don't remove the possibility of losing conciousness... Rather they limit the overall long term damage obtained from a concussive head injury, eg brain damage,detatched retinas, broken teeth to name a few.

the probability of losing consciousness when being struck in the head is far greater without a helmet than with a helmet

yet it's pretty reliable in dayz

What was the helmet pristine? Someone correct me if im wrong but I think it only protects you if its pristine any of the other qualities provide 0 protection I believe.

• Like 1

What was the helmet pristine? Someone correct me if im wrong but I think it only protects you if its pristine any of the other qualities provide 0 protection I believe.

yes

with a helmet? plenty

Uhhhmmmm.... No. You'll take one headshot and be gone, end of story (for you)

You may certainly counterargue me after showing me how you survive more than one single shot of either 5.56 or .30

In that thread I believe I was actually arguing you should have a large chance to cause death, cerebral hemorrhage and irreparable brain damage, etc, not just knockout as happens currently with a headshot.

Well, how else do you want to implement it? Or should you char just die after 40 minutes, with a message that reads "You got hit earlier and took some brain damage. Tough luck."

Knock out is the only viable option

we're not talking about a gunshot here, bud. We're talking about a baseball bat or comparable blunt object

Realistically you can be happy if you survive shots to vital areas. And happy if you don't get long term damage when wearing gear.

It's simply physics at work, I believe, without being a doctor. And the term "bulletproof vest" can be somewhat misleading depending on how you put it. All the items do is absorb power, basically. Not 100%, but mostly depending on many factors, even ingame. Regarding melee attacks, it might or should be a bit different however.

And I believe items do not have to be in pristine condition to give any protection at all. Rather, the condition determines how much they can take until ruined, where they give no benefit at all other than perhaps some slight camo due to color.

Edited by Combine

I have worn a Kevlar helmet before, AND taken a blow to the head (an accident, for which my junior marine paid for with 100s of pushups. Afterall, if you aren't going to be smart, your going to be strong).

It was a solid hit, and may have split my head open had I not been wearing it. yet it did little more than stun me for a moment. it rattled me a bit, but I was fine immediately after.

And as for punching???

I dare you. Go ahead and punch a Kevlar helmet with your bare hands, with enough force to knock out an unprotected person. Go on.....while your doing that, ill go get my car keys. Your gonna need a ride to the hospital for that broken hand. If the helmet had no cammo cover on it, you will probably have some nasty lacerations too...

• Like 3

Well, how else do you want to implement it? Or should you char just die after 40 minutes, with a message that reads "You got hit earlier and took some brain damage. Tough luck."

Knock out is the only viable option

That would be funny actually >: )

I'd like a chance of knockout, not the certainty of knockout. And a chance of death. And also a chance of knocking the person to the ground. And also an extremelyshaky/blurry screen effect in both third and first person if you get punched in the nose, etc.

• Like 2

with a helmet? plenty

But you were not wearing a helmet you were  wearing something that only covers your skull. When you knock someone out the force of the hit knocks your skull against the walls in your head and this is how you get knocked out hence why the more the head twists the better the knockout in boxing.

A ballistics helmet would not stop this from happening where as a  motorbike helmet would.

Only a motorbike helmet will guarantee stop you getting knocked out in one shot.

neither will guarantee anything if you're hit hard enough

both will make it very unlikely however

neither will guarantee anything if you're hit hard enough

both will make it very unlikely however

What do you mean hard enough there is no way to select the power of your hit.

I do believe that a motorcycle helmet offers you more protection against fists then a ballistics helmet actually.

Edited by africanhungergames

either a ballistic helmet or a motorcycle helmet will more or less fully protect against fists

as for the hardness of a blow, an ax will apply more force than a baseball bat