Sign in to follow this  
G-h0p

The Irony of Medecine (story)

January 16th, 2014 @0700 Halifax, Nova Scotia,Canada

The alarm clock rang, it was time to enjoy my first day off in a while. I had been putting in overtime at the lab because of this new virus that has been spreading overseas in Chernarus. The last thing intelligence told us was that there aren't many survivors remaining, well... they assumed the lather since there had not been any communications in over a week. Although we could not replicate the virus even knowing the strain,  I personally believed the infection was so fierce that it had consumed all life form in Eastern Europe.

My life over this past month has be so hectic, it affected my personal relationship with my wife Stephanie. I couldn't share what I had been doing during my work day due to the top secret nature of the events. This caused tension between us. She watched the news, yet I couldn't give her any more details. She kept begging me to tell her more, the more she asked, the more hours I put in at work to escape the daily interrogation. We did not even kiss this morning. Do I ever regret.

January 16th, 2014 @0800 Halifax, Nova Scotia,Canada

I went outside for my daily jog, listening to fast beats with my cellphone to keep me going. The sweat just had started to pour down on my face when the beats got replaced by my ring tone. It was my boss. I had to report to the lab ASAP. I ran back home. I wondered what had happened. This they finally made a breakthrough? Did they find a way to replicate the virus so that a vaccine could be produced? I jumped in my Audi. I was in such a rush, so excited. The tire would of spun, but the limited slip of my german engineered AWD is just that amazing!

January 16th, 2014 @0900 Halifax, Nova Scotia,Canada

Upon entering the lab, they were people in the room I did not recognize but one: The Canadian Chief of Defense Staff. I knew something big would be happening then. A firm handshake was made, I was praised at being the best at what I did. CDS: "Our experts told us you were the best candidate for this mission. With your previous military and medical training, and being one of the most involved scientist with regards to this virus, it is your duty to go on the scene to get a sample from the virus so that we can manufacture a vaccine that will stop the infection." He then followed by how I would be paired with a unit of Special Operation Force (SOF)... that I would be safe... blah blah blah. I have gotten Warning Orders before, I knew the drill.

January 16th, 2014 @1000 Shearweater, Nova Scotia,Canada

I was at the military airport, just outside Halifax. I just sat on my seat, we got one more word, but from the Prime Minister himself. My heart is pumping at this time. I always hated flying. On the good side, it was a warmer than normal day for January, it was above freezing temperature, the sky was clear and the sun shining. We departed. 

During the flight, I got to meet Mac, Scott, Terry, and Andrew. All athletic, top shape individual. They questioned me on the virus. I explained to them how we thought the virus worked... but I got confused looks. With simpler words, I told them the virus made the brain produce this chemical substance that controls the affected's body. The heart is no longer pumping blood, and it is that substance the keeps the body going. I hate the word zombie, but I used it and now the light turned on. They started talking about their favorite Z movies... at least it is better than boot camp stories which always turns to Full Metal Jacket.

January 16th, 2014 @1800 Chernarus, Eastern Europe

As we approached our destination. There was suddenly heavy turbulence which triggered many alarms in the cockpit. Mac carefully moved towards the pilots but he quickly turned around after the pilot gave him the signal, ordering us to get to the rear cargo hatch for emergency evacuation. Terry jumped first, then Andrew. It was now my turn.I jumped outside the plane, it had been a long time since I had free-fall. It was getting dark already and I lost sight of Terry and Andrew. My chute deployed, but violent winds took me curse. Not long after, everything went black. 

January ?, 2014@?, Chernarus, Eastern Europe

I woke up on the coast. It was sunny. My head was throbbing, my body was weak. All I had on were my clothes, and my clip-on flashlight. I looked for my parachute, it somehow disappeared. How could this possibly happen? It was no time to answer that question. All I could think then was survival. I started walking along the coast. Nothing in sight for miles. Exhausted, suffering of a probable concussion, I managed to make my way to this small town. My russian limited to asking a woman for oral sex, I could not make out the name of the town... but at this point, I could care less of the name. I needed fresh water. I spotted this small farm. I entered the small house and found a medical mask. I carefully dust it off and trap it on my face. I knew the virus wasn't airborne but since I had not spotted any signs of life, I wasn't going to take that chance. Under a table, I found a water bottle, but it was empty. The lid was also broken. I saw a rustic water pump outside and luckily enough, I drank as much water as I could. I used a thread from my shirt along with a sock to secure the lid, alloowing me to put the water in my back pocket. I made my way to the stable when I spotted someone in the distance. I yelled for help and the person came running at me. I quickly heard moaning and grunting, the woman did not look healthy. As she approached, I noticed she was infected and immediately started running. My feet and my back were sore from the fall, I could not outrun her. I took shelter inside a small shed where I found a fire axe. I could not think about possibly killing someone, even infected as I knew I could find a cure. So I put the axe on my back and hid just beside the door. The woman walked in and using my fist, knocked her on her back. I ran away as fast as I could.

After what seemed to be a couple hours, I saw a sign with a picture of a plane on it. I headed for that direction, hoping that our pilot had managed to land the plane after we had evacuated. Once I got to the airport, I noticed it was a military facility. I looted around the barracks and facilities and scored a full uniform, an M4 automatic rifle, ammo. I was a soldier again! I decided to go back on the coast in order to find rescue. 

I arrived at this city. I spotted a tall building beside a tall crane. I decided to carefully make my way to it, wishing I could get a good view of my surrounding. Once I got close enough, Someone fire a round at me. I turned around and ran as fast as I could, he kept on firing at me and missing. Once I got to a small tree farm, I started thinking: why would someone just shoot at me? Maybe he thought I was infected. But if he thought I was struck with the virus, why would he keep on firing at me after I'm running away? An infected sure wouldn't turn around scared for his life! A part of me wanted vengeance, but the scientist wanted to understand why. So I decided to take the long way around, in the hopes of flanking him so that I could get some answers. If I could point my gun at him before he points his at me, he would have no choice but to answer me, and if he tries to shoot me again, then I would simply kill him in self defense.

Once I return to the construction site, he had moved from the top of the building to ground level. I spotted him before he could spot me. I pointed my gun at him and said: "Sir, do you speak English?" He answered with a russian accent but I could understand him. He said: "I put my gun on my back, you put yours ok? I'm friendly!" 

I knew I could not trust him, he attempted to murder me about an hour ago. And I knew it was the same guy, I had kept my eyes on him all along. He had the single shot rifle, had the same blue shirt. But I could simply not kill him if he puts his weapon away... so I decided to put mine on my back as well. He said it was a good thing I spoke to him because he thought I was infected at first. He slowly approached me. I asked him if there more survivors and he pointed in a direction along the coast line. When I looked, he took out handcuffs out of it pocket and attempted to put them on me. I took a few step back, withdrew my weapon at the same time he did and put 10 rounds into him as he attempted to take a shot at me.

I checked for a pulse, he died on the spot. I grabbed a can opener and a couple cans of beans from him and made my was inside the building to take shelter. Inside, a found a pen and paper where I started writing my story. How could I kill someone, when I was here to save people in the first place?

• Like 2

This is really great! I assume this is based from your own gameplay. I wrote something similar myself. After reading this, I think you must be the luckiest survivor out there because you immediately found a water bottle and a fire axe. Then you got m4 and can opener soon after.

Constructive Critique:

The protagonist is too heroic. A scientist and soldier with no serious personal problems other than a curious wife. To make him more human, vulnerability makes him relatable.

Very little personal background about the protagonist and his buddies.

The plane just crashed due to turbulence? Kinda impossible.

The bandit died without anything for me to care about him.

His current problems are not too concerning, I want to see more serious pain!

Great Points:

Your story began with intrigue not just a "I woke up in the shores of Chernarus and began my adventures" which is a breath of life to me. (I did the same mistakes) It can still be improved.

The ending line shows a conflict of principles, I am looking forward to his downward decent to being a monster or a true hero that sticks to his personal code.

This is really great! I assume this is based from your own gameplay. I wrote something similar myself. After reading this, I think you must be the luckiest survivor out there because you immediately found a water bottle and a fire axe. Then you got m4 and can opener soon after.

Constructive Critique:

The protagonist is too heroic. A scientist and soldier with no serious personal problems other than a curious wife. To make him more human, vulnerability makes him relatable.

Very little personal background about the protagonist and his buddies.

The plane just crashed due to turbulence? Kinda impossible.

The bandit died without anything for me to care about him.

His current problems are not too concerning, I want to see more serious pain!

Great Points:

Your story began with intrigue not just a "I woke up in the shores of Chernarus and began my adventures" which is a breath of life to me. (I did the same mistakes) It can still be improved.

The ending line shows a conflict of principles, I am looking forward to his downward decent to being a monster or a true hero that sticks to his personal code.

Story was good, only English professors ask that it be perfect.

^ hahaha. Thanks. I wrote that in about 30 mins. Just a background on myself... Im an engineer and the ladt tume I wrote a story goes back to highschool 14 years ago. Since then, I have read one book only: The zombie survival guide by max brooks. I was away for work for a month without internet... so I bought that book to entertain myself.

I accept the critiques above and will work on that once I carry in with the in-game character. What I wrote is actually what happened... exeption being I slaughter the zombie with my axe... heheheh I had to modify that otherwise that would of been the "first kill".

The player who I actually killed was my very first DayZ kill. That's why I figure I could base a story around that. I actually got very lucky playing with 26 other players, being able to loot the NWAF first.m withiut any encounters.

Oh and french is my native tongue. I learned english in school in living in an english environment since 2001

Oh and french is my native tongue. I learned english in school in living in an english environment since 2001

Well, that's impressive. I thought you were Canadian since the story revolves around the Canadian armed forces!

Your english actually matches someone for Nova Scotia, so I think it adds realism to the story.

Great story by the way... My first life ended with me pounding on the door of a train station yelling why won't you open!!!!

I starved to death...