-Gews-

The Campaign for Iron Sight Zoom

I always imagined the zoom function was more along the lines of the player squinting in order to see something in the distance better. Obviously you're not actually zooming in your vision at all.

I can see the zoom feature coming back when optics are utilized on the weapon, such as how the long range scope currently works. Without the zoom function, these optics end up being detrimental due to the reduced peripheral vision of the area surrounding what you're aiming at. Being allowed to "squint" while using these optics will offset the drawback of having reduced peripheral vision in comparison to using the superior backup iron sights.

• Like 6

Remove zooming from game.

What frosti you mean you don't like having elf vision?

I mean thought this was amer...a REALISTIC zombie survival simulator...

• Like 2

I have a feeling you might actually get your wish. The PSU scope for the Mosin Nagant currently has the same native zoom you get when not aiming down sight. I think the correct zoom for that scope is 3.4x, not 1x. I think this might be an alpha issue, and you will soon be able to go to from 0x to 1x with irons and 1x to 3.4x with the PSU.

As for zooming out, your wish is already granted. Hold "-" on your numpad to zoom back a bit and double tap it to lock the view there.

• Like 2

Hi.

Like you already said, the zoom, if you want to call it that, is actually a more true representation of the world. They only default to a 'zoomed out' view to try and make up for the lack of FOV when using average sized computer monitors.

I tend to keep it 'zoomed in' most of the time, with a finger more or less always on freelook, it somewhat helps with guessing distances, so those guns being 'zoomed' by default doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is the ones like Mosin which stay at the default or not zoomed view.

So yeah, overall I give your campaign a big +1(guess I could have just did that without the rambling)

Regards.

I agree with everything you said except... oh wait, nope, i agree with everything you said! 

People need to stop calling it zoom / zooming though and call it focus / focusing or something, seeing a lot seem to think that "zooming" is unrealistic when i think not being able to see 20 feet in front of me is unrealistic, BUT if we use our gypsy magic and change the word "zooming" to "focusing" i think people will better understand that it's not your eyes physically ejecting themselves a foot from your body! (sorry i got in an off topic rant) 

Good post you used facts science and pictures i did want a graph but i can't have everything BEANZED!

Edited by twingunz
  • Like 9

I don't think ANY of you ever tested the field of view option, did you?

Turn the field of view option down to zero, get alot ALOT more zoom in first person, and increase view distance when zooming in. LRS zoom's in about 6 times more when you use it to snipe and turn the FOV to zero.

Want to zoom out?

Turn the field of you option UP. But your aim with any kind of sight's will be reduced too. ((  "...say, room clearing. You don't want to be zoomed in ..." ))

Yeah, I too think that they should remove the right click zoom.

I don't think ANY of you ever tested the field of view option, did you?

Turn the field of view option down to zero, get alot ALOT more zoom in first person, and increase view distance when zooming in. LRS zoom's in about 6 times more when you use it to snipe and turn the FOV to zero.

Want to zoom out?

Turn the field of you option UP. But your aim with any kind of sight's will be reduced too. ((  "...say, room clearing. You don't want to be zoomed in ..." ))

Because this wouldn't become incredibly tedious after the second time.

Edited by Areos
  • Like 2

Um as far away from arma this game wants to get this is one thing that should stay exactly as arma did it ..

It worked and it just seems strange to have it auto zoomed for some things and no zoom on others ( again i to feel the zoom is actually zooming into what the eyes would see focusing in the distance)

Great post OP, I thought I had bionic eyes until I saw this and you made me understand...

I noticed the iron sight thing before reading this, though. It always felt weird in SA and I didn't know why, but now I do and I hope the devs have an answer... =/

Remove zooming from game.

It´s not about removing zoome, it´s about restore how it should be.

• Like 1

I would love to have this option back.  But really makes no difference to me, ill play either way.

Made an account just so that I could reply to this! I been playing the Arma series from the OFP days and this is the only real problem I have with DayZ:SA atm, I think this is really something that needs to be fixed. 

Lets keep this moving...Gews is the arma weapons master, also has a great handle on IRL vs playability.

Rocket acknowledged Gew's awesomeness on the latest patch notes...lets get the eyesight and zooming fixed!

keep up the great work Gews

• Like 1

In addition something I failed to mention was faster zooming. Zooming in shouldn't be slow like in A2 and in the current SA, it should be much more snappy and responsive like in ARMA 3, or even more so.

Not sure why this feature was removed in the first place, two possibilities occur to me.

One, it could be a simple oversight - it hasn't actually been changed, it's just been left out entirely, so it's possible it wasn't deliberate.

Two, either the devs either prefer it this way themselves, or they think that simplifying the classic ARMA controls by removing the variable zoom will appeal to more players.

• Like 4