phoboss

Horses, the almost perfect "vehicle"

Horses  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be horses in DayZ Standalone?

• Yes, it would be great.
    • No, it is kind of pointless.
    • Maybe, it is half and half.

Like I said, they would only require water, because I imagine horses can eat grass and other plants.

Ah right, so maybe you can take them to a stream or pond and they auto graze/drink?

i'd love it. when i see you riding your donkey, i'd so roadkill you both with my soviet truck.

how do you like that, cowboy?

Edited by komadose

Once i played "The Last of Us" the horses seem liked good idea to put in DayZ. However i do not believe it would work well with ArmA's engine,

but wouldnt mind if Dean proved me wrong on this, so let us see how complex the animal aspect becomes (mod animals are pretty braindead).

yeah not bad bro. Hope the dev will consider this feature.

Once i played "The Last of Us" the horses seem liked good idea to put in DayZ. However i do not believe it would work well with ArmA's engine,

but wouldnt mind if Dean proved me wrong on this, so let us see how complex the animal aspect becomes (mod animals are pretty braindead).

Well that's the beauty of the standalone. They can rewrite the engine as much as they want to implement a certain feature. I mean they rewrote the whole network architecture, doesn't get more complicate than that.

Creating the skeleton and animations for horses would, or will, surely be a difficult task. That's the only major drawback I can think of, but horses would definitely fit in DayZ

Creating the skeleton and animations for horses would, or will, surely be a difficult task. That's the only major drawback I can think of, but horses would definitely fit in DayZ

Well since they are implementing deers, I'd imagine it can't be that much harder to do a horse. Especially because I'd think mo'capping a horse would be a lot easier than mo'capping a deer. 

Edited by phoboss

I'd love to see horses, but seeing multiple GTA games with no horses, after R* made the masterpiece that is red dead redemption, I have lowered my expectations when it comes to horses.

Edited by bad_mojo

Just thought of something else. Adding to the loot system it would be great to find different saddle bags, saddles, bit and bridles, but also horseshoes. I think that would be something awesome because it would allow your horse to travel farther while remaining fresh.

I would also like to have some weapon slot to store an extra rifle, as a reserve, on the saddle.

Edited by xTITANx

Just thought of something else. Adding to the loot system it would be great to find different saddle bags, saddles, bit and bridles, but also horseshoes. I think that would be something awesome because it would allow your horse to travel farther while remaining fresh.

I would also like to have some weapon slot to store an extra rifle, as a reserve, on the saddle.

Saddlebags I already have in the first post, but horseshoes would also be pretty neat. You could have different kind's for different terrains. Making the horse perform better under specific circumstances. 

But what I really like is the weapon slot. That would be awsome. Will add to original post. 

Horse bumped.

Here's some fire art of mine to fuel some imagination. No Photoshop eh.

12109036304_15fb6683a6_m.jpg

Wow, that is so awesome. What an idea. Maybe it can be another inventory system. Horse saddles could spawn in barns and horses eat beans. When you log out you can tie your horse up or, your horse could be an entity that you log out with. It even can be in the menu like your character. He/she would be on it as well.

Wow, that is so awesome. What an idea. Maybe it can be another inventory system. Horse saddles could spawn in barns and horses eat beans. When you log out you can tie your horse up or, your horse could be an entity that you log out with. It even can be in the menu like your character. He/she would be on it as well.

Yeah all that would be great. I think I read somewhere that Rocket actually said that he'd like to do horses very much and it is on their todo list. So we can still hope! :D

ooo so now we can add more to barns! That's where you could find good tack and food for your horse. Maybe some hay or oats for it to much on. It would be awesome too if they added a new stable building and placed them around barns or farms.

Great idea! :thumbsup:
Also the most realistic form of transportation if you look at it with post apoc. perspective.

'Nm the apocalypse...my car runs on ..rotten kiwi's!!'  ^_^

I'll be honest, i was nevee really into the horse idea.

Then i sat down and thought about it, and now i'm pretty excited about them.

For some reason i have this image of running across a guy with a horse on the road near green mountain, his horse bucking, him wielding a sawed-off, and me with my Mosin with (hopefully working) bayonet pointed at him. 21st century pikeman...

But they wouldn't be very effective. To keep them from running off while you were gone, you would need a lead to tie them up. Don't got one? Well, you better hope it doesn't wander to far away.

Gunfire would spook them, but the more they're around it the better theg'll be with it. Adding a benefit to stealing a horse.

Some would be faster than others. Some would be stronger. Health shouldn't be much more than the players, though. 

And if your horse is shot, it won't just die. It will lie on the ground, whining, forcing you to finish it. 

A similar system of broken legs would also be nice.

They're bodies should also be useable as cover. 

And you should be able to have a friend ride behind you.

A few more images i had: gunning down a rider in the middle of a field, forcing him to take cover behind his dieing horse.

Groups riding horses and holding flaming torches riding up the coast, wearing clown masks and carrying shotguns, "exterminating" freshspawns.

Although even getting simple horses in would be a pain in the ass.

Edited by thedogfoodyayho

I dont think this is a bad idea, but in a post apocalyptic world, with raging infected people running around and screaming all over the place, i dont think the horses will ever trust humans enough to let them sit on theyre backs again :)

It would be extremly difficult to convince a horse, in such a situation, to be your friend and trust you will do the best for it.
Most, if not all of them, would run for they're lives and stay in packs, away from humans, in such a situation.

Dont get me wrong, it might be possible to actually get close to one, but to get on top of it is a totally different matter really.

Heck, just teaching a horse IRL to let you ride on it can take years and a hell of a lot of training.

Ive got mixed feeling about this tbh, dunno :)

I think I'd get too attached to my horse. I don't care about my gear or guns - just don't kill my horse!

• Like 2

Yes! Add mountie gear as well, I can finally ride off into the wasteland with my lads, trumpets and revolvers blaring. It'll be a large moving target for all bandits within 1,000 meters. Glorious!

First of this was a member named phobos's idea. This would definitely help in my opinion. Feed and watering an animal is realistic. It also shows that it is not just humans in the apocalypse. So, what do you think? Ya or Naaaaa? Haha like my pun!

Edited by ImmunePower
  • Like 1

I contend, for you, that the idea in it's form is great. 

I wonder however about the limitations of the game in a number of respects. First of all would be if the engine would allow such a thing in the first place. Secondly, should horses be added, will they add shooting from horses? I had damn well better be able to tout my magnum off a horse.

On that note, they really need to make drivebys happen.