phoboss

Horses, the almost perfect "vehicle"

Horses  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be horses in DayZ Standalone?

• Yes, it would be great.
    • No, it is kind of pointless.
    • Maybe, it is half and half.

Haven't found a topic in the suggestions forum about it, so here it is, really quick. I'm sure it has been mentioned before and this isn't an original thought but still I'm just going to put it out there.

People are talking about all kinds of different vehicles, but what I'd love to see are horses you can ride on and use for carrying heavy loads like engines for cars 'n shit. 

Thats all.

Discuss!

edit: Ok I'll try to make a list of things that have been mentioned in this thread. Of course all this is under the condition that they get well implemented. No one wants a poor implementation of a feature like this. Also I'm aware that this is a very big task, and will likely not happen during alpha or beta. But maybe once the game is out and they add new features over time. 

Horses should be a fast off road transportation. Slower on roads.

They can carry/pull heavy loads like engines and maybe even a broken down car (as long as the wheels are intact).

You could find saddlebags in different sizes where you can store loot in. Also a weapon slot would be nice. where you could store an additional rifle for example.

(Different kind's of horseshoes for different terrains. Making the horse perform better under specific circumstances. Like faster on road or off road depending on the kind the horse has on.) Don't know how realistic this is, since I don't have a horse.

They need to be balanced, so that cars don't get obsolete. So they need to have downsides. These would be: 

You need to give them water (they can eat grass, that you can find everywhere).

They can get shot.

They are shy, thus likely to attack you if you startle them, or throw you off if they get scared by a zombie or gunfire.

They can be stolen easily. 

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 20

I take it you never sat on a horse before? Those Bitches are fast ;)

But I get where you're coming from. But instead of nerfing them through speed I think there are better ways of making cars a better form of transportation. For example a horse is a very shy animal, so you could make them throw you off a lot if they hear shots or get attacked by zombies. Also they get wounded easily.

• Like 1

...as long as I can kill, grill and eat one. Whynot.

That would be the idea yes. 

But they should be the slowest means of transport in the game besides a bicycle.

On roads, sure. On rough or uneven terrain a horse will outrun pretty much any vehicle with the possible exception of ATV's.

phoboss I would love to beans, because I think it's a great idea, but I have to take into consideration the literally months of effort that would be needed from both developers and artists to pull this off. Modeling animal movement so it appears even remotely authentic is one of the most difficult tasks you could put to a 3D animator made doubly so because they're under player control and not just running around randomly.

I just don't think it's technically feasible.
  • Like 1

On roads, sure. On rough or uneven terrain a horse will outrun pretty much any vehicle with the possible exception of ATV's.

phoboss I would love to beans, because I think it's a great idea, but I have to take into consideration the literally months of effort that would be needed from both developers and artists to pull this off. Modeling animal movement so it appears even remotely authentic is one of the most difficult tasks you could put to a 3D animator made doubly so because they're under player control and not just running around randomly.

I just don't think it's technically feasible.

Yes I believe you're right, the list of more pressing matters is literally 2km (or 1.2 miles) long, BUT I don't believe its impossible. Even if its part of a DLC or big content patch after the full release. I think it would be a really great addition to DayZ. Transportation, load carrier, companion, food source ;)

Anyway, possible or not, I'd love to see it happen sometime. Even if its 2 years from now. 

Edited by phoboss

What happens to your compagnion if you die? Or if you disconnect? 

Are they going to be like vehicule? Anyone can tame them when you are not connected?

What happens to your compagnion if you die? Or if you disconnect? 

Are they going to be like vehicule? Anyone can tame them when you are not connected?

Absolutely! The horse for sure won't care. Like I said in the companion thread, they should also be eatable :D

Edited by phoboss

I also would like to see horses. If they are poorly implemented, I do not want them. :P

They would be easy to take down by a sniper.  That would be a fun series of videos to post on Youtube, but annoying for the rider.

you get beanz for a good idea, but i agree with zed. 

Lol. So a vehicle bandits can easily shoot down or force feed rotten bananas to. More animal cruelty.

And you can level them up and give them pristine gear, swords and helmets!!..

Although a horse is a good idea, it will just be frustrating, expect your horse to get shot down most likely as soon as someone with a gun sees you.

And the introduction to cars will be a big task, I'm doubting they can come up with a horse working properly (see other games that have horses).

I would love to see them in game, but don't really see it as something anytime soon or maybe at all, so don't get your hopes to high.

• Like 1

And you can level them up and give them pristine gear, swords and helmets!!..

Although a horse is a good idea, it will just be frustrating, expect your horse to get shot down most likely as soon as someone with a gun sees you.

If any car appears in a highly populated area it immediately gets shot at so what's your point? Horse is a vehicle like any other just works much better while going uphill or outside of padded roads.

I take it you never sat on a horse before? Those Bitches are fast ;)

I'd wager on a survivor winning the next Kentucky Derby if he puts his fists up and sprints.

Horse is a vehicle like any other just works much better while going uphill or outside of padded roads.

Most vehicles won't throw you off when a flock of starlings erupt from the grass... etc.

• Like 1

I imagine it like the one in the last of us, you can put gear on it and stuff! This would be so sick! Great idea, thanks for sharing! Would be so sick if it was implemented down the road.

I also would like to see horses. If they are poorly implemented, I do not want them. :P

This, there's plenty of great ideas put up (like this one), but if it's gonna be shitty/weird then there's no point.

OT they should be able to hurt you too, I mean if you pop out from around a corner and sprint right up to it it will kick you and run off

Added some of the valid points to the original post. Thanks for the great feedback. 

This is one of the best ideas i have read! :) Great idea. How would you feed them?

This is one of the best ideas i have read! :) Great idea. How would you feed them?

Like I said, they would only require water, because I imagine horses can eat grass and other plants.

• Like 1