Sign in to follow this  
marsmars

DayZ SA Equipment Guide: What Equipment you should be using to survive, and where to find it!

Hey so many players ask whats the best equipment to use, so figured I'd write a guide:

Clothes/Armor:

Shirt: TTsKO Jacket
Pants: TTsKO Pants

Note on clothes: The above clothes will give you maximum inventory slot space while at the same time camouflage you and make you harder to detect. If you can't find the exact colors then use similar colors, colors such as green grey and brown are best for camouflage, but never wear bright colors such as red or you will be a walking target!

If you are playing at night, then black would actually be a better color.

All items above can be found in military areas such as barracks and ATC towers (except for the working gloves which can be found anywhere)

Backpack:

It has 30 slots for items. Note that you sacrifice 5 slots compared to the Mountain Backpacks that have 35 slots, but you gain more stealth and camouflage. If you insist on wearing a mountain backpack, preferably use the green one but never the red.

A good place to find backpacks is a construction site. There is one near Berezino

Weapons:

The firefighter axe is the best melee weapon. It's easy to hit zombies with it and you will kill them with one shot. It's pretty common to find, though until you find it just use any other melee weapon. There is also a Splitting Axe, but it is a lot less accurate than the firefighter axe

For Pistol I chose the FNX45 since it has a bigger magazine

The M4A1 is an assault rifle and is one of the most sought after item in the game. Look for it in Barracks. I found one twice in the Barracks of the Krasnostav Airstrip

Medical:

Hospitals are a good place to look for Medical Equipment. There is a hospital in Berezino and some other cities. Until you get a First Aid Kit/Bandages, make sure you have rags. You can make rags from any piece of shirt, and other clothing. Apply the rags as soon as possible when bleeding because of a Zombie Hit.

Food/Drink:

Most food you find will be in cans, so you want to have a can opener. Sometimes those can be hard to come by, but in the meantime you can use your axe or other sharp weapons to open the cans. Just drag the weapon to the can to open it. If you open it this way though, some food will spill so its best to use a can opener.

For water, the best items are the refillable water bottle and canteen. You can refill those at any water pump. Water pumps can be found in many towns and cities. To refill, put the water bottle or canteen in your hand, face the water source, and use the mouse wheel to select the command to refill the bottle.

Anyway hope this help, I probably left something out so leave a comment if you have any more suggestions!
Edited by SurvivorX
  • Like 9

good start sir, nice guide and tidy, like it - but:

• ttsko shirt has 6 slot while tactical shirt only offers 4
  • instead of alcohol (wich usefull atm only to force drink others) u might add saline bags
  • whats bout the magnum, additional
  • roundboxes
  • compass
  • proctecting cases
  • attachments, especially when your only talkin bout the m4

as you see, there might several views on "best" gear - depending on the role you gonna play

Edited by Guest

• instead of alcohol (wich usefull atm only to force drink others) u might add saline bags
  • roundboxes
  • compass
  • proctecting cases

as you see, there might several views on "best" gear - depending on the role you gonna play

Good points,

Regarding the Alcohol Tincture, isn't it used to disinfect your wounds?

Also what attachments would you recommend for the M4?

Edited by SurvivorX
  • Like 1

I always carry an Acog + a red dot sight for my M4, switch when needed. Also, alcohol does desinfect wounds.

Edited by EchoZeero
  • Like 1

alcohol is important when wounds are infected, infected wounds are displayed by [sICK: I have infected wounds / My wounds are infected] - after hundreds of zombieattacks, shots to my body and broken legs - i never had infected wounds so far...guess its to be implemented.

Mosin: PU Scope & LRS & Bipod

M4: Acog & M68 CompM2 Optics, Buttstock MP, Handguard RIS, 2x 30Rnd STANAG (coupled), maybe a Bipod

Edited by Guest

Hi, nice guide!! Is it ok if i translate it for my spanish website? I’ll give you credit of course.

• Like 1

Hi, nice guide!! Is it ok if i translate it for my spanish website? I’ll give you credit of course.

yeah sure go ahead :)

• Like 1

I would choose .357 for its 1HK ability.

To me you either have to go Mosin and FNX or M4 and .357 to give yourself the best range of weaponry.

• Like 1

• roundboxes
  • compass
  • proctecting cases

Alcohol is useless, right.  Well, keep thinking that next to time you and your friend do an IV transfer all willy-nilly and end up getting each other sick and dying from it.

Roundboxes are only useful if you actually have more than 4 item slots worth of loose ammo to put in them, other than that it's just another box.

Bipods are great for both weapons currently in the game, essential for snipers.  Even a damaged optics will give you an advantage over an iron sights, IMO.  Silencers are worthless and pure cosmetic right now, but so are bayonets beyond being able to open a can, so take your pick if you already have a can opener.  If you're using a mosin, do NOT grab a bayonet unless you want to stick out like a sore thumb XD

I prefer to match my camos, but that's just me, I wouldn't turn down a black tactical vest because I was wearing a green camo shirt, though.  I personally prefer having the extra 5 slots on a backpack right now, but currently we're just a two man operation, so we need all the space we can get.

• Like 1

This isn't a 'Survival' equipment guide, it's a 'PvP' equipment guide. At least let's be honest about that!

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 2

Alcohol Tincture is a must have item.

It has saved me from sickness on a few occasions. 

• Like 3

What about Ammo? I'm always having trouble finding the right kind for the weapon I have at the time.

• Like 1

Alcohol is useless, right.  Well, keep thinking that next to time you and your friend do an IV transfer all willy-nilly and end up getting each other sick and dying from

Did that happend to you yet? What symptoms appeard?

What about Ammo? I'm always having trouble finding the right kind for the weapon I have at the time.

5.56 = M4 (Military bases/airfields)

7.62 = Mosin (Military bases/airfields and towns)

.357 = Magnum (Military bases/airfields and towns)

.45 ACP = FNX (Military bases/airfields and towns)

Edited by Jecto
  • Like 1

slots aside, is there any protection difference between tactical and regular shirts? also what about the assault and tactical vests?

When it comes to night time, grey clothing is WAY better camo than black. Black silhouettes you a night time whereas grey blends in better with shadows.  

• Like 3

by the way the Chest Holster  - should I add it to the list? I was not able to equip it with my vest.  And in the inventory it took the same number of slots as the pistol. Or was I doing anything wrong?

by the way the Chest Holster  - should I add it to the list? I was not able to equip it with my vest.  And in the inventory it took the same number of slots as the pistol. Or was I doing anything wrong?

You did nothing wrong. Once you got a vest you can't combine it with the holster.

slots aside, is there any protection difference between tactical and regular shirts? also what about the assault and tactical vests?

I really do hope they add something to this effect soon/ever.  Taking your t-shirt off for rags, or for fun, should net you the lowest "armor" possible, with your undershirt, and having something heavy and thick like a camo jacket or rain jacket, should at least give you more armor and protection than a regular colored short-sleeve t-shirt.

So far I haven't noticed any difference, but I'm not exactly too keen on testing it to find out either ;)

I really do hope they add something to this effect soon/ever.  Taking your t-shirt off for rags, or for fun, should net you the lowest "armor" possible, with your undershirt, and having something heavy and thick like a camo jacket or rain jacket, should at least give you more armor and protection than a regular colored short-sleeve t-shirt.

So far I haven't noticed any difference, but I'm not exactly too keen on testing it to find out either ;)

heh ya, i was hoping that someone did the testing, but i can see why it's a little hard to do since you either die or go unconscious in a shot or 2 lol

i've seen people do testing on the ballistic helmet so that's the only item i know so far that offers any sort of protection. i personally am not a fan of any of the tactical shirts so i'd rather wear one of the check shirts if i can get away with it (BUT if the tactical shirts are proven to save me from 1 extra bullet, i'd wear them). as for the vests, they all give 8 slots, so why not, but i'm not sure if there's a difference between all of them><

Edited by timoseewho

heh ya, i was hoping that someone did the testing, but i can see why it's a little hard to do since you either die or go unconscious in a shot or 2 lol

i've seen people do testing on the ballistic helmet so that's the only item i know so far that offers any sort of protection. i personally am not a fan of any of the tactical shirts so i'd rather wear one of the check shirts if i can get away with it (BUT if the tactical shirts are proven to save me from 1 extra bullet, i'd wear them). as for the vests, they all give 8 slots, so why not, but i'm not sure if there's a difference between all of them><

tbh, I think that would strive to far from the "survival" and "realism" aspect of DayZ, the tactical shirt is based off a system meant for military to protect from certain weather, the PCU level 5, which the tactical shirts are based off of, are more of a lightweight rainstyle coat. I haven't really played in the rain or at night that much, so I don't know if this already happens, but wet clothes should slow you down/make you sick, so people would have a reason to use the tactical shirts.

I was wearing a tactical vest and a ballistic helmet and a zombie hit me like five times and I didnt bleed (without those I bleed on first hit). Not sure if its the helmet that protected me or the vest or both?

hey guys, so any new items from latest patch that you think I Should add to this guide?

alcohol is important when wounds are infected, infected wounds are displayed by [sICK: I have infected wounds / My wounds are infected] - after hundreds of zombieattacks, shots to my body and broken legs - i never had infected wounds so far...guess its to be implemented.

Mosin: PU Scope & LRS & Bipod

M4: Acog & M68 CompM2 Optics, Buttstock MP, Handguard RIS, 2x 30Rnd STANAG (coupled), maybe a Bipod

If i am wounded and my guy is wincing in pain, I have put alchol on my wounds and once i get the green "My wounds are cleaner" my guy has stopped wincing in pain eventhough it never said they were infected.  Unless it was coincidence I would say alcohol tincture is useful.