felo

Seasons

Even just a separate Winter variant of the Chernarus+ map would be amazing.

Everyone huddled up in the church with a little gas cooker keeping them warm til the Blizzard ends. Even when it ends it would be a tough choice to go out into the cold and risk pneumonia, frostbite or running straight into a pack of bandits due to the low visibility.

Would it be too complicated to add rain instead of seasons? 

There is rain, you just need to stop playing the 24/7 day servers. Everyone's missing out on some amazing weather effects.

There is rain, you just need to stop playing the 24/7 day servers. Everyone's missing out on some amazing weather effects.

You just taught me something there, I played at Dayz for less than a week and as flashlights and others are still in alpha and see through walls.
 I play only on servers daylight.

Ive witnessed the Rain & cold weather as when my play breathes steam/condensation what ever youll call it appears.

the game is impressive. I can fully understand that its MAY have come up before but then again.

Dean now has funding and a damn good dev team to use. Not like its impossible for them to do it, time consuming maybe but well i reckon it would be something they could look at or even a different part of the map at a higher altitude.

Reading up he wanted to develop an orienteering game well why not throw in a high alt part of the map with maybe the likes of a radio tower. Certainly something to think on

If it could not be implemented dynamically, it could be made as static change. One day, may be Dec 1, you will log on server and see sign on black screen "Winter" and compleetely different landscapes. As result it will be same database but different map. What do you think?

You should implement seasons of year, summer, winter... That would be really awesome

But that would be very hard, and it would need about a month or more to make one season, since the ArmA 2 map is in the season DayZ is in.

They would need to cover up detail by detail, texture by texture.

On an 276km2 (( About that, not sure totally )) map.

That is insane.

Especially for 4 seasons.

But that would be very hard, and it would need about a month or more to make one season, since the ArmA 2 map is in the season DayZ is in.

They would need to cover up detail by detail, texture by texture.

On an 276km2 (( About that, not sure totally )) map.

That is insane.

Especially for 4 seasons.

Yea, i know, but anyway, the effort putted into it would be worth it

I wouldn't be against this either, although it'd be a progamming nightmare.

Winter would definitely change the game, but would make it nearly impossible. All water sources frozen? Not fun.

At launch we could need seasons in-game. (summer, winter, autumn, spring periods.) 

And we could use some sort of body temprature system - you need to build a camp with fire because of cold weather etc.

-Ori

Edited by Ori42

I'm all for seasons, though I'm not sure how difficult that would be to implement. As for the second part? I'm pretty sure that's already on the way. It was a feature of the mod, and I'm all but sure it's an upcoming feature for the standalone.

Reported.

EDIT: Just realised that the text is black and the OP is in fact not empty.

However this has been suggested before and i hope you use the search function in future. Welcome to the forums.

Edited by Dchil

Nice idea my friend, maybe if we are in winter or summer in real life, on game added this! I HOPE IT :)

I'd like to see a winter/summer season change, kinda of making you take different approaches because of foliage/snow colour and needing to stay warm.

It's not possible without making the map again from scratch.

It's not possible without making the map again from scratch.

And some serious changes to the core engine aswell :)

I dont believe the RV engine can handle changing seasons.

Ive yet to see it in any Arma games, on any maps, what so ever.

Seasons have never been a part of the RV engine games, and i doubt it will ever be mate :)

Not a bad idea though, but the works vs. the outcome makes it "not worth it" tbh.

And some serious changes to the core engine aswell :)

I dont believe the RV engine can handle changing seasons.

Ive yet to see it in any Arma games, on any maps, what so ever.

Seasons have never been a part of the RV engine games, and i doubt it will ever be mate :)

Not a bad idea though, but the works vs. the outcome makes it "not worth it" tbh.

Rocket was asked about it in an interview ages ago and the only limitation that he mentioned was the map. If it wasn't possible in RV I think he would have just said that.

It's a shame really, it's a nice idea and Rocket seemed to like the thought too...

Rocket was asked about it in an interview ages ago and the only limitation that he mentioned was the map. If it wasn't possible in RV I think he would have just said that.

It's a shame really, it's a nice idea and Rocket seemed to like the thought too...

Ahh ok, im just talking from personal experience, with many years of Arma behind me.

Ive never seen any map makers do this, not even official BI maps.

Even people like Icebreakr have never released any kind of seasonal map, and he is one of the best map designers in the entire Arma community.

So im still gonna assume its not possible, or someone, at some point, would have made it tbh.

EDIT:

Just want to point out, im not 100% sure about my claim, but im thinking theres much more to it then a simple "map makeover" tbh.

Edited by Byrgesen

Ahh ok, im just talking from personal experience, with many years of Arma behind me.

Ive never seen any map makers do this, not even official BI maps.

Even people like Icebreakr have never released any kind of seasonal map, and he is one of the best map designers in the entire Arma community.

So im still gonna assume its not possible, or someone, at some point, would have made it tbh.

Creating a map on ArmA scale is a massive undertaking as it is. Chernarus took 5 years to build IIRC. Regardless of whether or not it's possible I can't say I blame anyone for not having tried.

Creating a map on ArmA scale is a massive undertaking as it is. Chernarus took 5 years to build IIRC. Regardless of whether or not it's possible I can't say I blame anyone for not having tried.

Thats very true mate, but im just thinking about some of the fantastic people who have been making Arma maps since OFP :)

Some of them are still around and working on maps for Arma 3 now, thats more then 10 years of experience, in the RV engine map making.

But even with a small map, nobody has ever made seasons or even tryed, to my knowledge.

Ofc i cant say for sure the engine doesnt support it, but i will assume thats why nobody has ever attempted it :)

it would be a repaint of the current map and some models, so it would be separate like chernarus_winter, not as massive as making the map from scratch, but still an impressive amount of work. maybe add a few different effects like footprints that last minutes not seconds and snow instead of rain. i'd love for them to do this after release for next winter, but with spring on its way and larger problems to deal with atm. i'd say this should be a post full release change.

can of beans for the idea, I dig it.