felo

Seasons

I think it would be nice to see all 4 seasons. We stary with summer with fruits being easy to find. Than autumn, with a lot of rain. Winter with snow and problems getting food and keeping warm. And at the end spring.

It would be nice see them change for example every week different season.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 27

I doubt about the seasons in Cherno. Some rare events, such as short-term snowstorms, could somehow fit. Because the zeds in DayZ isn't the undead or yeti,  but sick people, who may die by cold, imho. What is DayZ without the zeds?

But the additional map in the north, behind the Mountains, with more harsh climate, why not.

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been suggested before but i think it would be pretty cool if further down the line the dayz team added seasons to the game. Each season could last a week across all servers so you had time to prepare for them (and so server admins couldn't remove them). Each season would create different scenarios for example in the winter season you would need to acquire warm clothing and store stashes of canned food because there would be less food to hunt/forage .

I figured it would add a whole new element to the game whilst adding a more survivalist atmosphere. 

Thoughts ? 

Edited by Dreyk
  • Like 10

Topic was already suggested, before DayZ [sA] got its own section in the forums.

Having seasons seems like something that should be eventually in a survival game such as DayZ.

Yea I'm

Surprised this wasn't worked out for the mod I would love to survive summer to winter , winter to spring and then spring back to summer , and also would love to see animal hibernation / migration patterns when more animals / any animals are added

• Like 1

Winter, Summer and so on would be perfect, imagine playing 3 months chernarus covered in snow and with huge snowstorms (you can only see around 30m). Would be very immersive when its cold in RL.

• Like 3

While an excellent idea and I would, in theory, love to see it.. I think it creates a difficulty spike that may deter players from beginning playing at certain times. Example, someone buys the game, loads in to find Chernarus covered in snow. No food, difficult to find water and freezing to death, they soon give up. But in Summer, which I imagine is around the season in DayZ currently, it would be MUCH easier to start up and survive. I know DayZ is a hardcore survival game, but it is still a game and relies on bringing new people in all the tim.

Make it like skyrim. North=cold, South=warm !?

I would personally prefer if the seasons affected the whole map but if not  your suggestion might be the answer

While an excellent idea and I would, in theory, love to see it.. I think it creates a difficulty spike that may deter players from beginning playing at certain times. Example, someone buys the game, loads in to find Chernarus covered in snow. No food, difficult to find water and freezing to death, they soon give up. But in Summer, which I imagine is around the season in DayZ currently, it would be MUCH easier to start up and survive. I know DayZ is a hardcore survival game, but it is still a game and relies on bringing new people in all the tim.

^this

While a winter map would be very cool, It would be kind of silly spawning into -20C weather in a t-shirt and running shoes.

Regards.

• Like 1

Do you think seasons will come into dayz? id love to see the place blasted with snow!

would certainly make for some interesting shoot outs as youd stand out like a sore thumb in the wrong gear lol

• Like 10

Seassons whould be epic. BUT they should be enforced through all Servers. Just as night/daytime cycle should be FORCED.

I wonder how many People whould survive..or even..could i ? Hunting whould be the Thing during the winter as much as shelter and fireplaces.

Thumbs up for the idea.

Would be interesting....

Isnt that easy though. You would probably have to have different versions of the map for a proper implementation.

Would prefer simple temperature and weather changes at this point (imagine some cold wind and rain...).

I dont think snow has a effect on the Z.

For now i only have experienced rain ONCE...and it started slow but later i couldent see my own Hand anymore and had to look for shelter. It was glorious, especialy as it cleared and the sun came up :)

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

I'd love it to go with our own seasons, it'd be surreal to be playing Dayz in the snow whilst it's freezing cold in your own home. 

I don't know why but according to Rocket it's impossible unless they started building the map again from scratch. It was a suggestion that used to come up a lot at the beginning of DayZ's development and I remember him commenting on it in an interview.

He did seem to like the idea though, so maybe if he finds a way then seasons will make their way into DayZ somehow...

It's a simple idea, but complex to implement. You can't just change the colour palette. They would have to make new models for most of the terrain.

Having said that, it's a great idea. I hope Rocket and his boyz are up for the challenge. Weather would add so much to the game.

I do agree as well, introducing different weather not only would add a major piece to the game with cold, snow, rain, drought and heat, that you would have to account for conditionally ie: the cloths you wear but also visually.  It would also alter all other elements of DayZ drastically giving them a different flavor depending on season.  Weapons may react differently in each climate, strategy would change dramatically for the conditions, water bottles could freeze in the cold, heating elements could become essential, wearing lighter gear in extreme summer to keep cooler due to loss of water through sweating, the list is endless.

The challenge is major and the mountain to overcome so that this may be implement is tremendous.  If it ever were to be implemented, the task would be very time consuming, and probably wouldn't be finished until post-beta.

Please use the search function, this topic has been suggested several times already.

I thought about it after a few hours of play, how we survive winter without warm clothes ?... This would multiplicate the gameplay.