Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Sun Tzu - The Art of DayZ ?!?!

I had one, until earlier today I died with it, and then this starts happening on the next life.

It took me forever to find it.

Edited by bad_mojo

I am rather satisfied with the copy of H.P. Lovecrafts "The Shunned House" I carry in my backpack.

Really??? Is that in the game? I need a copy just to stash in my backpack.. That is amazing!!!!

Really??? Is that in the game? I need a copy just to stash in my backpack.. That is amazing!!!!

I had the same feeling when I found it. I usually don't like to waste space in my backpack for books, but that one I just couldn't leave behind.

• Like 1

Wait, how do you read books?

Edited by Mege

I also only recently learned how to do that. For some reason there is no "Read" option when right clicking on it. You have to drag it from your inventory to your action bar, then press the number and you are good to go.

• Like 2

I had the same feeling when I found it. I usually don't like to waste space in my backpack for books, but that one I just couldn't leave behind.

I love it. I mean if you are not freaked out enough surviving in a zombie apocalypse you'll just have a spot of light reading with HP Lovecraft in your backpack.

You'd have to be really hardcore to do that - cheers you've made me chuckle!!!

My last "hero" character died with a pristine copy of The Art of War, and a pristine copy of The New Testament. (I am not a religious man, IRL, but I like carrying the bible in game.. go figure.)

Like maps, so put it in your hot bar and then select it.

On another note i have finally got the chance to read Wurthering Heights as i have never done it before. I hope it is interesting cause i gave up a very valuable slot in my backpack so i could have it.

Yes i am literally going to read a book in this game when i get far, far away from Elektro, the place i found it.

I CANT FIND THAT BOOK.

Can I just slam my physical copy on the screen and get it?

Here's what it looks like in-game, it'll save you some time reading titles...

IMEJHze.jpg

• Like 1

My last "hero" character died with a pristine copy of The Art of War, and a pristine copy of The New Testament. (I am not a religious man, IRL, but I like carrying the bible in game.. go figure.)

Not strange at all i think it is quite realistic .that you character has found religion during an apoc amazing in real life major disaster how many athesists find religion even if just briefly lol .

Now id ask you to walk through the streets calling out i have salvation brother the answer to the plague that has befallen us and when there is no more room in hell the dead shall walk the earth ( yeah i know our zeds are infected rather than the dead type) see how long you live.

strangely i did this and lasted over an hour walking in jocks barefoot carrying the king james edition bible calling out this stuff to fully armed guys and didnt get shot. Sadly it was a fresh spawn with what appeared to be nothing that beat me to death in the end lol

• Like 3

Not strange at all i think it is quite realistic .that you character has found religion during an apoc amazing in real life major disaster how many athesists find religion even if just briefly lol .

Now id ask you to walk through the streets calling out i have salvation brother the answer to the plague that has befallen us and when there is no more room in hell the dead shall walk the earth ( yeah i know our zeds are infected rather than the dead type) see how long you live.

strangely i did this and lasted over an hour walking in jocks barefoot carrying the king james edition bible calling out this stuff to fully armed guys and didnt get shot. Sadly it was a fresh spawn with what appeared to be nothing that beat me to death in the end lol

good post

I also only recently learned how to do that. For some reason there is no "Read" option when right clicking on it. You have to drag it from your inventory to your action bar, then press the number and you are good to go.

Thank you, I'll be sure to give it a try!

It would be awesome to walk into a church some day and have some guys trying to convert me. We should contact some church people and inform them of this new venue for preaching the word or the lord or whatever they call it.

Ahhhhh!, i left the pit and the pendulum behind in a police station. 

I thought this was going to be a thread about how the pro DayZer is like water. Or that if you know the zombies and bandits as you know yourself, you will win 100 battles without fear of losing.

I'll dust off my RL copy now. Seriously, you can apply those principles in this game and it will make you a better player.

The concept of reading books in this game is fascinating to me. I haven't yet done it myself, but I really, really want to. The hard part is finding one I actually want to read, then finding the time to read it between the game's attempts to kill me  :P

Any books you guys would recommend I be on the look out for? I see them lying about everywhere I go, but I never think to even look at them let alone pick them up. Also, and I know I'll catch flack for asking, but is there a particular spot (or type of area?) that you guys generally go to get some peace and quiet for reading? I imagine one of the little islands would be great for that.

EDIT: I happen to own a copy of Art of War in real life as well. I should break it out!

Edited by Tatanko

Seriously, you can apply those principles in this game and it will make you a better player.

True story. Real life military tactics in general pay off greatly in this game, particularly when you work as a group and everyone is on board with the system.

I usually just find a nice grassy field to sit down and read in. It almost makes you forget about the horrors in the world. I also tend to look down while seated just enough so that the horizon is above the book, that way I can keep an eye on my surroundings while reading.

The Art of War is a brilliant read. Made me the gamer I am today. And not just shooters or military games, but both realtime and turn based strategies. It's even applicable to Magic the Gathering.

Edited by Rudette

I was Chinese major at one point in undergrad. This was a long time ago now. I took Classical Chinese- this is sort of like asking a Chinese guy with some basic command of English to take a class on Chaucer. Hardest class ever and I barely escaped with a C. But I got to read parts of "Art of War" in the original, (even if poorly) which is one of the coolest things I can say I've done.