Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Sleeping

I think sleep should be introduced as a log out procedure as well as a fatigue restoration mechanic. Give players benefits for sleeping in shelter. Increase the environments hostility towards those who don't. If you sleep on the ground, you're going to be weak the next day.

Log out procedure should only come into effect many hours after you leave. Meaning, you can change servers, even take short breaks, without enduring the punishment for not sleeping. But, if you do sleep, it starts the sleeping process immediately.

So, if you're taking a break in real life, you can build a little shelter and sleep your character for a few hours. When you return, you're rewarded with a bit of a stats boost compared to someone who just logged out in the middle of the street.

If someone logged out in the middle of the street, they would have many hours to return to the game and find a suitable place to sleep. But, if they didn't bother and came back the next day, or two weeks later, they would only endure a bit of a punishment. Players who are in good health might not notice the effects at all, but players in poor health who can't endure a cold night on the ground would really suffer as a result. Think of it as catching a cold from sleeping on the open ground.

It's important to implement sleeping mostly as a benefit, not just a punishment against those who don't. Also, I don't think it should require anything to build a shelter in the wilderness. But, the more tools you have, the better shelter you can build in a shorter amount of time. Maybe even let players sleep when they're in proximity to a bed, but that seems too easy for my taste.

• Like 4

all in all a really great idea! and plays well with the realism Dean is going for. In real life you have to sleep, and nothing beats a good night sleep when it comes to becoming healthy when sick or wounded. 

maybe it could even help regenerate when you're wounded or sick.

• Like 2

Also, while it would be a log out procedure I don't think it should force the player to log out. If somebody wanted to sit in-game in a sleeping state, I think that should be an option.

I like the idea of sleeping, Im pretty neutral about how it will be implented (log-out sleep, 3 minute sleep while ingame) but I think it should be a part of the game. There would be more items to use (sleeping bag, tent) and it would add another use for bases. It should be a big part when talkin about injuries and illness.

Has been discussed here and in the mod forums. Did you use search?

It is a good idea in my view (sleeping while logged out, but no server persistence of your character), if limited to a maximum length of time (e.g. 8-10 hours) and if hunger and thirst increase in a similarly bounded fashion.

Edited by Roshi

I think sleep while logged in would not be very realistic, and that is the general goal for dayz. Sleeping for 10 minutes would have no real affect on your health or rested state. (aside from a power nap maybe). But if you could go to sleep before you log out, and depending on where you sleep you get a certain buff, or a very mild debut. So for example if you have tent and a sleeping bag and have started a fire you will be very well rested and maybe regenerated some health and sickness got better when you log in the next time. Or if you sleep under a tree without any form of shelter you will be untested or maybe even have a cold when you login.

You could also use houses for example, which will maybe be the best form of sleep you can get but in return you have a small chance of being attacked by zombies, and when you login, it's like you woke up because of the zombies and you have to fight them off first.

Just as a general outline what would be possible.

Edited by phoboss

Sleeping is a good idea, but beign in the game as a sleeping character after we logged out isn't. 

Edited by Gdaddy22

Sleeping is a good idea, but beign in the game as a sleeping character after we logged out isn't. 

Nobody is talking about that. That is something Rust does, and its a terrible TERRIBLE idea. 

One reason I suggested letting a player sleep while remaining in-game was for role playing purposes. Somebody might want to take on the challenge of sleeping the whole night while remaining logged in.(When server restarts aren't so frequent.) Sort of a voluntary 'character remains on logout' ability.

Also, if people are going afk, but for whatever reason they don't want to leave the server, they could go to sleep and save a bit of food/water that they would have used remaining stationary. I'm not saying going afk is good for the game, but people do it already, we might as well work it into the game somehow.

Maybe instead of sleeping, you could have "resting" option for the purpose you're describing. You know, you just lay down and rest for a couple of minutes. It won't regenerate your wounds or anything, but it will boost stamina a bit e.g.