Sign in to follow this  
globalfriction

Suggestion: Sleeping When Logged Out

I'm sure this has been brought up in the forums before but when you log out you should fall asleep where you are standing like rust. I do realize that there would be complication with this considering that not every server has a unique player so there would be hundreds of people lying around but I'm sure there would be a way around this.

Well it will waste your time so you just rape everyone at night, and to hide your ass you should run somewhere where is no one walks and then log of, but it is stupid without having some kind of 100% save area or ppl will get mad and will have new char every day. Not going to work.BUT it is realistic and i like it by some way

No. Lets not make this game more like Rust, please. Don't get me wrong, Rust is a great game. However, I do not want to give griefers more tools to piss people off.

• Like 1

once we have player housing, such as the ability to fortify buildings and have doors which can be reasonably locked, then yes, we can have sleeping people in game. until then, probably not.

• Like 1

But when i sleep in RL, if someone was to hit me, i would wake up. If i heard someone near, i would probably wake up. Dont think its piratical or needed

• Like 8

This is one of the dumbest features Rust has to offer. Because it basically forces you to play frequently. If you don't log in every day, you're probably going to be dead the next time. Same goes for destructible bases. If you don't log in every other day, people will have enough time to destroy your house or base. Where in real life you'd always be near (or have someone else near) to watch over your base.

If this was ever to be implemented into DayZ, I'd stop playing. But I believe it never will for multiple reasons.

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 6

This is one of the dumbest features Rust has to offer. Because it basically forces you to play frequently. If you don't log in every day, you're probably going to be dead the next time. Same goes for destructible bases. If you don't log in every other day, people will have enough time to destroy your house or base. Where in real life you'd always be near (or have someone else near) to watch over your base.

If this was ever to be implemented into DayZ, I'd stop playing. But I believe it never will for multiple reasons.

Oh wow. I was pondering if i should buy Rust, but that just changed my mind.

So there, the character stays in the server until you log back in?

(Sorry for OT)

It can be turned off on the server. But in general yes, your character is never really "offline". If you log out, your character goes into "sleeping mode" and stays in the game like that until you log back in. 

In my opinion a totally stupid feature. Because like I said, it basically forces you to log in daily in order to keep your char alive. And housing is destructible, which has the same effect. YOu have to come in daily to repair damage or defend your base. 

While I like the idea of sleeping being a part of DayZ, I don't think character should be in the world while the player is not. The fact that in real life I can wake up when there's a noise, hurts the plausibility of this suggestion.

I think sleep should be introduced as a log out procedure as well as a fatigue restoration mechanic. Give players benefits for sleeping in shelter. Increase the environments hostility towards those who don't. If you sleep on the ground, you're going to be weak the next day.

Log out procedure should only come into effect hours after you leave. Meaning, you can change servers, even take short breaks, without enduring the punishment for not sleeping. But, if you do sleep, it starts the sleeping process. So if you're taking a break in real life, you can build a little shelter and rest your character for a few hours. When you return, you're rewarded with a bit of a stats boost compared to someone who just logged out in the middle of the street.

It's important to implement sleeping as a benefit, not just a punishment against those who don't.

• Like 5

While I like the idea of sleeping being a part of DayZ, I don't think character should be in the world while the player is not. The fact that in real life I can wake up when there's a noise, hurts the plausibility of this suggestion.

I think sleep should be introduced as a log out procedure as well as a fatigue restoration mechanic. Give players benefits for sleeping in shelter. Increase the environments hostility towards those who don't. If you sleep on the ground, you're going to be weak the next day.

Log out procedure should only come into effect hours after you leave. Meaning, you can change servers, even take short breaks, without enduring the punishment for not sleeping. But, if you do sleep, it starts the sleeping process. So if you're taking a break in real life, you can build a little shelter and rest your character for a few hours. When you return, you're rewarded with a bit of a stats boost compared to someone who just logged out in the middle of the street.

It's important to implement sleeping as a benefit, not just a punishment against those who don't.

That's actually a really good idea! Beans for you! 

You should make a thread in the suggestion forum about that!

Edited by phoboss

I say it implement it partially, as a log out procedure.

Basically, When you want to log out, you have to endure a timer, or you can just log out, but the character will lie where you logged out for a timer, leaving it vulnerable to everyone and everything, thus discouraging server hopping and combat log, just like in EVE.

Sleeping should be an option and-or requirement. Same as rest. A result of the implementation of Stamina. Currently, you can run an entire map with no consequence. I've done it. Berezino to Balota, at a run-sprint. No effect on health. Didnt even need to drink and eat as I was healty. If stamina was present, I would have had to stop after say, 20 minutes, as I doubt someone would be able to spring for longer than that, unless we're all super-athletes. Jog I can believe. Not sprint.

Rest will obviously restore your stamina, but only partially. Sleeping will restore fully, but its effect will be nerfed if you sleep in the cold and on the asphalt. Same with curing health and sickness. Rest and sleep will speed up healing if done properly.

• Like 1

I'm for the idea in general, but against anyway of implementation that has been mentioned. Holidays and lack of playtime for some gives the advantage to people playing 24/7...Maybe a random dice roll whe you log in determines on whether you got attacked in your sleep and you have to play out the attack in a night server before being allowed to join your normal one or somesuch?

Edited by phlOgistOn

No.

Can you imagine the whining you'd get on here about people getting killed whilst asleep? Its bad enough as it is with KOS...

Also some people don't play for weeks (I haven't been on in ages) the longer you don't play the higher the change that you will be robbed and killed, so its not really fair on people that don't/can't play often.

Worst idea ever.

Sleepers are basically made for people with no life, someone who can spend all day at their computer at any give time.

I have Rust, and I regret buying it, for someone that has a partner/child having to just up and leave your computer is very normal, having to run back to your house to be able to log out of the game is absurd.

• Like 2

It's a really bad idea. Even upto the point where I'd hate the game if this was ever implemented.

The point being that it's a game, and taking away control from the player is the absolute worst thing you can do. There isn't anything the player can do to protect himself during the time he is sleeping and there isn't any justification for putting such a burden on the player to begin with. Making survival a diceroll is against the idea of survival to begin with, the point of survival is making choices that extend your life expectancy. It's basically the same as logging into a server only to see your character being reset. It causes frustration upto the point where you don't feel like playing it any longer, because you know you died a very unsatisfactory death.

When I get killed by another player I think "Oh snap he got me, I must not have been playing careful enough, so I misjudged the situation"

When I get killed by bugs, glitches, or resets(or in this case while sleeping) it's more like "I've spent hours collecting things, and now it's gone, and for what? Nothing... I won't play the game for the rest of the day"

Edited by Ghostflux
  • Like 4

I think its a good idea but a bit extreme. I do however think your character should remain in the server for about 5 minutes after you log off. this would prevent combat logging and force you to find somewhere relatively safe to log off!

hey, lets make the game I chose to buy (in alpha state...) more like the game I chose NOT to buy

genious is strong with this one

• Like 1

I say just have maybe a sleeping animation or in the act of laying down for like 30-45 seconds after logging to stop combat loggers and call it a day for now.

I mean, I understand what you're saying about persistence in the game, but i agree with one of the above posters. Until housing is implemented I don't think they should do anything there, and even then, i'm unsure if that would be in the best interest of the game when it comes down to it.

Edited by Gekkonidae

I think its a good idea but a bit extreme. I do however think your character should remain in the server for about 5 minutes after you log off. this would prevent combat logging and force you to find somewhere relatively safe to log off!

This sounds good...so no matter whether you're away for a night or a week, you still have a short period of being susceptible to encourage people to hide better/barricade a building.

once we have player housing, such as the ability to fortify buildings and have doors which can be reasonably locked, then yes, we can have sleeping people in game. until then, probably not.

This!

Let me revive this topic.

I am so into this. After adding barricading,base, camps you could be fairly safe to log out, and go to sleep. If someone isn't in a game for a couple of days, you would be super hungry and thirsty when you log in. And after few weeks, your character could die from starvation, plain as that.

Death is the main feature in dayz. 

I think it is a pretty good idea, from the standpoint of survival. While you shouldn't remain in-game, I think it would be an interesting thing to "lay down and go to sleep" for at least a few minutes after you log out. It would be really safer than the current system, as what is more noticeable: the guy laying down in the debris-hut in the woods, or that guy doing the "log-out dance" on top of that building? (My clan has killed so many people doing this, even with the 30 second timer)

IRL, during a real survival situation, literally the best thing for you to do almost all of the time (after building a shelter, then a fire) is sleep. There are many reasons for this;

1. Everybody has what is called a "basal metabolic rate", which is the minimal number of calories your body needs in order to "run the machinery", as it were. Essentially, sitting still while warm and dry, you will burn X kCal per hour, and it varies per individual. If you sleep, you can get pretty close to your BMR, staving off starvation for a lot longer than you would walking around/working/fighting.
  2. Healing. Achieving REM-state-sleep essentially "jump-starts" the body's healing process. IRL, the best thing to do when injured (after treating the injury, of course) is sleep, as you will heal faster and more effectively that way. Maybe when you wake up after you sleep in-game, you start off "dark-green" energized, regardless of food or water levels? Pretty accurate representation, IMHO
  • Like 1

Mortal Online has a sleep system that makes sense. U have stamina and health bars. When ur fully rested and satiated u can have a full bar 100/100. As u play around in the world the bars diminish...so after one hour if u dont eat or sleep, u can only raise u health bar to 80/80 (as an example)

So there is sorta two different ways the bars diminish....if some one hits u, and u lose 50 hit points, bars goes from 100/100 to 50/100....but if ur not fully rested and hungy/thirsty u might only have a 70/70 health bar, and if u lose 50 hitpoints u are suddenly down to 30/70.

Kinda hard to explain in good english.

So sleeping (and eating) is needed to have the full potential of ur stam and healthbars, 100/100. And u only have to sleep for 30 sec to 2 mins depending on how much ur bars have diminished and certain skills.

Edited by svisketyggeren