Sign in to follow this  
FatKangaroo

Companions, like dogs

I think it would be neat to implement companions. Once other animals are included into the game, maybe stray dogs could be found in towns or cities and you could tame them to eventually have them at your side. They could possibly help find items, track other players and fight zombies and humans alike if commanded to do so. 

It seems realistic and not too complicated idea, it would be fun to see!

• Like 4

No tracking items unless it's animals or something. You can't smell the scent out of a closed tin can

• Like 1

Interesting idea, I can see this being a pain in the ass to implement though, with AI being the way it is in this game.

I want to see them use stuff from the Arma command system.

E.g Hold fire (bark & bite, follow, move to, wait, attack, mark players as friend?

Your dog will follow your friends upon your demise.

Find food, find people.

If it disobeys you or completes the task wrong you can say No/ Bad dog to decrease his potential of error next time.

Companion animals should log out with you so some random guy doesn't stroll past and kill him for food.

My guess is most surviving dogs would be 1st generation wolf/guard dog hybrids. Packs of them, none of which want to be your friend - Because you don't make friends with your next meal.  :D

I want to see them use stuff from the Arma command system.

E.g Hold fire (bark & bite, follow, move to, wait, attack, mark players as friend?

Your dog will follow your friends upon your demise.

Find food, find people.

If it disobeys you or completes the task wrong you can say No/ Bad dog to decrease his potential of error next time.

Companion animals should log out with you so some random guy doesn't stroll past and kill him for food.

Support. Im just worried about what people will do to my dog if I do. This game is full of sadistic people. I don't care if people feed me rotten bananas just don't touch my dog.
  • Like 3

I think this  would be a great way to introduce a pseudo radar function, have the dog start to growl if there's a new player within 500m, have it  look towards or chase a player that shoots at you, have it whimper if comes near the trail of another player still on the server, with a GUI option to follow it like a blood hound. it could introduce all the functions of a game radar in a believable visceral post-apocalypse setting.

I think this  would be a great way to introduce a pseudo radar function, have the dog start to growl if there's a new player within 500m, have it  look towards or chase a player that shoots at you, have it whimper if comes near the trail of another player still on the server, with a GUI option to follow it like a blood hound. it could introduce all the functions of a game radar in a believable visceral post-apocalypse setting.

500m! It would be growling a lot more than you thought it would.

I like this idea. Taming would be rly cool.

They could possibly help find food, track wild animals for hunting and fight zombies but has only defensive stance. So if his master is being it attackt it would run behind the agressor and hit him like a normal zombie. More like offhand dps.

It should work more like Dead space 3 Scavenger bot when looking for food. http://de.deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Scavenger_Bot

What would be nice too is handcuffing zombies, making only one of them your personal zombie slave to detect living forms like animals or maybe players. The zombie slave is bound to you and cant walk free, making you easy to spot but if someone is close to you he would act agitated like this: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/073/f/8/jacob__s_ladder_head_shake_by_elberto333-d4sqsck.gif in a very disturbed way.

But everything that interacts with/against players should be discussed carefully for the sake of pvp all this kind of taming and companion stuff should be only for PVE.

Already been talked about, tried and failed in the mod, most likely won't happen is SA.

Big difference between mod and SA is, they can rewrite as much code as they want. Just a question of time and money. I think Dean talked about this as something he is very interested in doing, so I think its a very likely possibility at some point in time. Maybe not this year, but some time...

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 1

I'd love a pet mouse. Not a rat. A mouse. It would sit around on my shoulder so that I can consult him on important matters of the post-apocalyptic world. And he must have a highly customizable tail and ears. Maybe a tiny white-blue sailor's shirt, specailly adapted for the body of a, well, mouse.

For those thinking I'm making bad jokes, I'm not. I'm being serious right now. This is how I think. You are getting to know me. This is an intimate moment for all of us.

• Like 1

I'd love a pet mouse. Not a rat. A mouse. It would sit around on my shoulder so that I can consult him on important matters of the post-apocalyptic world. And he must have a highly customizable tail and ears. Maybe a tiny white-blue sailor's shirt, specailly adapted for the body of a, well, mouse.

For those thinking I'm making bad jokes, I'm not. I'm being serious right now. This is how I think. You are getting to know me. This is an intimate moment for all of us.

Thanks for sharing. I feel closer to you already!

• Like 1

Great idea i played a game before that you could have pets and it was great they helped defend you and also could carry a small pack of loot.

Yeah the possibilities are endless. They could carry a small amount of loot, they could help stalk your prey while hunting, they could defend you against animals, zombies or players. they could be a form of overwatch (if sleeping ever gets implemented). etc. etc. 

Yeah the possibilities are endless. They could carry a small amount of loot, they could help stalk your prey while hunting, they could defend you against animals, zombies or players. they could be a form of overwatch (if sleeping ever gets implemented). etc. etc. 

My mouse will serve me as recon, due to low barring, high speed and agility, sharp smell, hearing and sight, and low noise (soft paws ftw).

My mouse will serve me as recon, due to low barring, high speed and agility, sharp smell, hearing and sight, and low noise (soft paws ftw).

But how would you communicate with it? Visual queues would be very hard to see, once the mouse is more than 10m away from you.

But how would you communicate with it? Visual queues would be very hard to see, once the mouse is more than 10m away from you.

Our heats and minds are bonded. We are one, and will communicate through the power of LOVE.

• Like 1