scottishrebel

Update (16/1): Player Proximity DeSync Issue (Solutions/Workarounds!)

Proximity DeSync Investigation Part 2  

215 members have voted

1. 1. IF you have the DeSync issue, as described, Which anti-virus do you use?

• Kaspersky
    • AVG
    • Avast
    • Symantec (Norton)
    • Quick Heal
    • ESET
    • Microsoft Security Essentials (Active as your anti-virus)
    • McAfee
    • Avira
    • BitDefender
    • Bullguard
    • Dr.Web
    • Comodo
    • Other
    • No Anti-Virus Installed
  2. 2. In what category of server do you experience the issue?

• Current Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Current Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
  3. 3. If you recently had this issue but have managed to fix it (including Battleye Servers), Which option below fixed it?

• Disabling All/part of Anti-Virus or making tweaks to it
    • Making tweaks to your Home Network (LAN)
    • Validating DayZ files through Steam
    • Re-install of the game
    • Making changes to your PC (Editing Windows and Its features or ethernet Port adjustments etc)
    • It Magicaly Disappeared (You done Nothing)
    • Other
    • Not Fixed

As a player who wants to play this game I appreciate your efforts in looking into this issue. Based upon the amount of desync posts and complaints I think you will agree there is certainly a problem here. Understandably its been extremely hard to pinpoint but I think between the community and you all (dev's) we'll get this righted it will just take time.

I hope for all our sakes your investigation continues and didn't stop after 30 minutes of testing/ trying to duplicate.

I really think the community would be at ease here if we had some additional communication on whats being done to fix this issue specifically and the community can kinda rally around your efforts to help test and duplicate.

It has been technically investigated, yes.

I'd also like to add that this pretty much exact BE version has been used in OA without any such desync issues for a long time and in this game there are servers with a higher slot count as well.

Some of the accusations here are simply wrong. I will be the first to admit there are issues if someone supplies solid technical proof. Just stating that you only have these issues on BE servers doesn't help because literally all servers on the main hive are BE-enabled and only BE servers are constantly active in terms of population and connects/disconnects. So if there is an issue with the current game version that gets worse the more strain there is on a server this outcome is exactly what you would expect. Again, all I can say regarding BE right now is: correlation != causation.

Here is a list of technical facts:

1.) BE doesn't interfere with the game's network traffic in any way nor does it block anything (as some have claimed here).

2.) BE only uses a very small amount of resources (CPU and bandwidth), compared to the game it should be almost unnoticable.

3.) (Server-side) desync issues are different from (client-side) stuttering/freezing issues and cannot be caused by security software (which is wrongly implied by the poll).

• Like 2

Fair enough and thank you for the quick reply.

As someone who is experiencing this issue every single day and night since Jan 8th I'm eager to get this desync issue resolved.

So regardless of BE what can I do to get you some solid data? I'll give you all the info on my PC, connection, etc.  I'm about to meet up with some friends and will likely experience the issue again.

Video, screen caps what will help you most immediately?

Willing to do whatever it takes. Just let me know how I can help.

Edited by Nel

I will start off with this link.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=4507

Now from what I have tested desync is caused by items in other players backpack or clothing.

Every desync I have come across is related to one of my friends inventory, removal of that item resolves that desync till the next time.

My AV is Trend Micro OfficeScan, along with Sophos UTM 9's AV scanner. Both of these logs have shown nothing related to DayZ, Steam, or Battle Eye.

Edited by ripzeus

Just to confirm our theory about ammo boxes. Just looted one and in 5 mins I started desyncing with 5 friends around me none of which I could see but they could see me. Left the server went to another medium pop dropped the ammo box and went back to my friends on the previous server and so far no issues and its been an hour.

Edited by Nel

I hope this gets fixed soon. Yesterday I was sneaking up on a random guy looting a building and found that he all of a sudden froze in place on my screen and my punches did nothing to him and then I got the death screen when I resynced. While I didn't have any containers in my inventory the guy I attacked could of had some.

But it was extremely frustrating and makes me not want to play. Most of the time I get desync I am lucky enough to only be near my friend but if the same happens in any combat situation I am afraid I'm just gonna die without being able to do anything about it.

Those are some tough accusations.

Let me state that correlation != causation. I have investigated this issue and couldn't find any relation to BE. Note that I'm talking about the desync issue here, not the stuttering/freezing that a few people experience (which can be caused by certain security software in combination with BE). We are talking about two separate issues here, so they should not be mixed up. Desync issues can hardly be caused by any security software.

Keep the following in mind:

1. Non-BE servers aren't quite active and don't have nearly as many connects/disconnects.

2. Non-BE servers use a separate hive.

A user I was talking to confirmed that after a while he experienced this issue on non-BE servers as well.

You're entirely correct that correlation does not imply causation. However, since the work done here clearly demonstrates that the sole common factor is, in fact, BattleEye, we are beyond the realm of correlation. We have methodically ruled out alternate explanations, only BattleEye remains as a compelling explanatory factor. Sticking your fingers in your ears and insisting that this can't possibly be the fault of security software is patently ridiculous.

Moreover, the single user you claim you talked to is hardly representative of the majority. Claiming that a single piece of evidence outweighs the conclusions that are applicable to most people doesn't make any sense.

Finally, a handful of servers connected to the main hive do not have BattleEye on them, as I have played on those servers. They have filled to capacity and had many people join and leave, so your claims in that area are also weak.

Edited by Shanks13

You're entirely correct that correlation does not imply causation. However, since the work done here clearly demonstrates that the sole common factor is, in fact, BattleEye, we are beyond the realm of correlation. We have methodically ruled out alternate explanations, only BattleEye remains as a compelling explanatory factor. Sticking your fingers in your ears and insisting that this can't possibly be the fault of security software is patently ridiculous.

I thought I mentioned that the problem has already been investigated? The "work done here" is, I'm sorry to say, just speculation. This is not how bugs are fixed. We all know that there are issues, but so far no technical indication could be found that this is indeed related to BE.

I think I also mentioned that I'm ready to admit any issue once actually confirmed, so I'm not sure what's ridiculous about this attitude.

Moreover, the single user you claim you talked to is hardly representative of the majority. Claiming that a single piece of evidence outweighs the conclusions that are applicable to most people doesn't make any sense.

It's not just a single user. I have seen many reports (on this forum as well) claiming that these issues are also experienced on non-BE servers (after a while). How do you explain these?

I think you both are approaching this all wrong.  Lets stop the bickering between one another and lets work together to resolve this.  Clearly there are some misconceptions and inaccuracies.

We all agree there is a problem impacting a large portion of the community, Again I ask what data do you or anyone from BE or Dayz SA dev/staff need from the community to help isolate the issue?

Willing to help anyway I can.

On a side note. I was able to play most of the day today without much of an issue. Now at what I assume is peak time the game is unplayable for me no matter the server I choose.

P.S. Not my internet connection. Getting normal speeds and having no issue with other games at ultra settings.

Edited by Nel

We all agree there is a problem impacting a large portion of the community, Again I ask what data do you or anyone from BE or Dayz SA dev/staff need from the community to help isolate the issue?

The DayZ dev team is well aware of this issue and investigating it as well. A fix will be provided ASAP.

I don't think the community's help is needed at this point in time.

I thought I mentioned that the problem has already been investigated? The "work done here" is, I'm sorry to say, just speculation. This is not how bugs are fixed. We all know that there are issues, but so far no technical indication could be found that this is indeed related to BE.

I think I also mentioned that I'm ready to admit any issue once actually confirmed, so I'm not sure what's ridiculous about this attitude.

It's not just a single user. I have seen many reports (on this forum as well) claiming that these issues are also experienced on non-BE servers (after a while). How do you explain these?

Hi,

I've tried every solution. I have no AV, I join a BE server and I'm fine until a player gets near (lots of trial and error to figure this out). Non-BE servers running the same patch I have 0 issues. Go back to a BE server and have the issues immediately. Literally the only common denominator is BE.

I would love to here any explanation, even theories, as to how I could have the issues described and yet have the cause not be BE. I have tried every non-BE server and I can play fine with friends in close proximity. On literally the hundred or so BE servers I have tried, I experience 100k desync when another player is around.

I just fail to see how this issue is not BE related for me. I could care less about anyone else's issues. That's my issue and it's caused by BE.

I figured I would add my two cents.  

I've been having this trouble for a few days now and it's rendered the game unplayable.  I never understood why it was happening to me.  At first I thought it was the ammo box issue.  I completely got rid of my ammo box and still had the issue.  Luckily my roommate plays the game as well.  I noticed it happened when we tried to play together, then when others were near me.  Found this forum post to confirm.  So I had my roommate follow me onto a 0-pop server when i had no desync issues.  He logged in right next to me and it immediately desynced me.  Once it was confirmed, I tried following everyone's advice on how to fix it.  

Verify files,

switched ethernet ports, 

disable anti-virus (AVG),

added battleye folder as an exception,

uninstalled/reinstalled battleye,

uninstalled/reinstalled the game...

None of it worked.  

Finally, I completely uninstalled AVG, restarted, logged into his server right next to him and there was NO lag, no desync, at all.  I immediately logged out and remember seeing a post about using other antiviruses so I installed avast.  Seems to be running beautifully.  No lag or desync at all anymore.  It was only happening to me and not him, so there's that.  

I hope this helps someone.  

I too uninstalled AVG. So far no issues but will report back with more detail.

• Like 1

going on about 2 hrs no issue. All i did was uninstall AVG

I would love to here any explanation, even theories, as to how I could have the issues described and yet have the cause not be BE.

Please see my other posts on this thread.

I just changed something on BE's side.

Could you guys confirm that the issue is still there?

• Like 4

Hi,

I've tried every solution. I have no AV, I join a BE server and I'm fine until a player gets near (lots of trial and error to figure this out). Non-BE servers running the same patch I have 0 issues. Go back to a BE server and have the issues immediately. Literally the only common denominator is BE.

..[....]..... I have tried every non-BE server and I can play fine with friends in close proximity. On literally the hundred or so BE servers I have tried, I experience 100k desync when another player is around.

.......[......]......

I experienced this same behaviour of the game. I don't have any major desinc playing on not BE servers. Sometimes a red chain appears  for 5 seconds max but nothing game breaking and i can still equip weapons or items in my hands. When this event occurs also my friends which are in-game with me have the red chain on as well. On BE servers on the other hand i get a 100k desinc after 3 seconds i join the area where my friends are or viceversa. I have not tested the behaviour of the game on experimental servers still. I'm running a Symantec product on this machine.

EDIT: I played last night for several hours. Going to do some tests today as well as i have some time.

Edited by Mr Hyde

I've tried the following:

Disable AVG,

Disable windows Fw,

Replace battleye DLL client,

Validate steam files,

Re download/install entire game.

None worked.

I opened TCP/UDP ports from 2302 to 2307 (no particolar reason for the chosen range).

I happened to be able to see and follow my friends for some time (i couldnt even see them before).

Do battleeye use own ports that might need to be opened???

I've also noticed that i usually have smaller values of bandwidth range than my friends (or other people) How can it be monitored? Is there any meaning behind it (i have T1 connection)?

Is there any network log that may be helpful to share?

Bye

I just changed something on BE's side.

Could you guys confirm that the issue is still there?

I have played without any desyncs since this morning! was it you? :)

When i approached another player my status used to look something like this:

Ping: 40  50  60

Bandwidth: 350  350  350

Desync: 100000

This morning i went into elektro on a 37/40 server with something like this status:

Ping: 2  3  3

Bandwidth: 1000  1000  1000

Desync: 0

I have a 100/10mbit connection, and it's actually using some of it now.

-Btw, i have always used AVG Free. This morning as well.

-This was the same character that earlier(last night) got HEAVY desyncs as soon as he approached another player.

-He had an ammo container in his inventory then AND this morning.

-I did not modify/change ANY files or settings on my computer before it started working for me.

Let's just hope it persists. :S

Devs should atleast let people know from a sticky the they know the desync is a problem and there looking into it they are litterally not saying shit even about anything like you dont even interact with community at all shit face serGAY titov would do that come on everyone has respect for you guys dont lose it

Edited by shister313
  • Like 1

Did you have this issue constantly for the past few days?

Yes, I agree with you that the fact that an issue preventing people to play never mentioned is...disappointing.

Not talking about solution but information, of course: fixing takes the time that it takes.

Maybe they are already fixing it, let's hope so and give them time.

Did you have this issue constantly for the past few days?

Yep. Constantly. Had to play "singleplayer" on empty servers.

Yes, I agree with you that the fact that an issue preventing people to play never mentioned is...disappointing.

Not talking about solution but information, of course: fixing takes the time that it takes.

Maybe they are already fixing it, let's hope so and give them time.

Agree. Just a "We're working on it" can be very comforting.

• Like 1

When i approached another player my status used to look something like this:

Ping: 40  50  60

Bandwidth: 350  350  350

Desync: 100000

This morning i went into elektro on a 37/40 server with something like this status:

Ping: 2  3  3

Bandwidth: 1000  1000  1000

Desync: 0

I have a 100/10mbit connection, and it's actually using some of it now.

-Btw, i have always used AVG Free. This morning as well.

-This was the same character that earlier(last night) got HEAVY desyncs as soon as he approached another player.

-He had an ammo container in his inventory then AND this morning.

-I did not modify/change ANY files or settings on my computer before it started working for me.

Let's just hope it persists. :S

Same for myself as well - I have had major desync since around 8th Jan. Last night with same character couldn't play on an empty server with friends due to the problems, this morning - Can join any server again and get instant connection and 0 desync.

Will test fully tonight when friends are online - But so far so good ! Thanks