Sign in to follow this  
27 others

Why Mouse Acceleration in First Person desperately needs Fixing #2 *Long Post*

You are wrong. This has clearly nothing to do with game performance. It is the same when I have low and high FPS.

Iam not talking about low or high FPS iam talking about the performance drops when moving the camera.

What do you mean by "game performance"?

I'm able to turn at acceptable speed when moving the mouse slowly and I'm not able when moving the mouse fast. The game punishes me for fast mouse input. Arma 2 has the same problem and Battlefield3 had it at launch.

Here's the bug report. http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=76

This is just ridiculous. 

i just tried turning around over and over again ingame and i noticed a slight improvement. Now i pretty much got it in my hand muscle feeling where the barrier to negative acceleration lies.

I thought my turning time decreased, recorded it and.... it was just my imagination. 

Today i got to know where the maximum possible acceleration for me lies, and i subconsciously suspected it before. Here is a comparison between mine and Karmaterrors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2WPHaLEMM&feature=youtu.be

Around this value, 2.2 seconds is literally where i can not go any faster. My hand movement is gently as f*ck. If i move my hand any slower, the turning time decreases. If i move a little faster, it decreased aswell due to negative acceleration.

Just unbelievable, it takes me about 270 percent the time of Karmaterror to turn.

I noticed a decrease in frames during the turn, about 10-15 fps. Maybe that is a problem. I dont have an uber PC. Your video looks really really smooth fps-wise, Karmaterror. May i ask, what is your hardware?

Edited by 27 others

ok let me start off by saying this is 2014.. There is absolutely NO REASON // NO EXCUSE as to why these controls are this bad.   I mean, seriously??  how hard is it to implement raw input with a 1:1 ratio?? I mean.. every other game in the world has done it with little problem.  Its bad enough we have to put up with this TERRIBLE ARMA ENGINE (worst engine known to man)..  but to not fix the most important thing in the game... control.. is absurd.  Anyone who can sit there and say the controls are good or "suppose" to be this way can suck it.  this has literally made the game completely unplayable.  I mean u cannot even walk around in the world without struggling let alone trying to attack or shoot a player.  This issue needs to be TOP PRIORITY.  Shotguns and berries can wait.. no one gives a crap if u cannot move around.  And am I the only one here that can run battlefield 4 on high settings with 100+ frames, get into dayz and get 20??? WTF...

I noticed a decrease in frames during the turn, about 10-15 fps. Maybe that is a problem. I dont have an uber PC. Your video looks really really smooth fps-wise, Karmaterror. May i ask, what is your hardware?

They ok, not great..

AMD 6 core @ 3.6ghz

8GB DDR3

radion 7700 1GB

That was an empty editor map though so frames were good. I had a thought, do you turn up the dpi on your mouse atall? That might be tricking the accel into thinking you are moving faster than you are. Maybe if you use low dps then turn up the ingame sensitivity it might be quicker :)

my mouse has got 3 settings for dpi, that i can access through "+" and "-" buttons on it.

I tried it with low, medium and high.

Edited by 27 others

Sorry I do not have the time to read the OP in its entirety at this time, I may go back to it later.

I thought this would be relevant tho...

I had trouble with the mouse movement to begin with, I then adjusted some in game settings and it is fine now.

I'm just bumping this and adding that I will not play this game in first-person.

I'd like to, but its unplayable due to a total F-UP amateur nonsense of game programming which BI is apparently (in)famous for.

Not being able to make simple, precise, mouse control is a joke. It is also intentional. BI did MORE WORK (and did it badly) to make the mouse control behave this badly, than if they simply did X for Y precision camera view control.

They think its cool.

Us players are going to get seizures and sue their asses.

I don't think people seem to realize that a gun doesn't way 50 kgs, it wouldn't slow your arm movement dramatically to the point where your arms are struggling to keep up with your sight.

If you're walking with your gun up its most likely that your eyes will follow where your gun is going. If you were ads this would be even more so. I'm gonna guess that most people here would've been paint balling or at least gone laser skirmishing and even though these weapons are lighter then an average firearm, we may look around (like when we've pressed alt or go into free look) but our arms don't lag behind our sight.

I don't particularly mind mouse acceleration but I think the simple solution to this problem would be to simply have an on and off option. No point making it more complicated then it needs to be.

It's not about the weight of the gun, it's about how far it is away from your turning axis. Even outstretched arms make turning noticeably slower.

I couldn't agree more. In common shooters that are immersive, like Metro, when walking/sneaking around i will take it upon myself to control the movement so it is realistic and compliments immersion. Thats what we do 99% of the time in DayZ, rather than actual combat. Another factor is that our field of view in real life is about 180 degrees! When looking for things in houses, it would be so much easier in real life. The game doesn't represent that ease at all.

Somebody should create a series of live action satire videos called DayZ Metagame. Episode one: A guy going through a building is about to exit through a door. Zombie yells behind him. He looks back at it. "Ah, cute little zombie. Look at you." Turns to leave. Tries to open door. Door open indicator doesn't come up. Moves around. "Dayz doors..." *shakes head*. Backs away. Indicator comes up then disappears. Looks around. Nope. Moves forward. Looks around. Comes up disappears. Starts getting a little panicky. Tries other weird movements to open the door until getting eaten ...you get the idea.

Change your FOV it's in your video settings... I run mine 1/4 in...

And yes fix the F'ing mouse...

Edited by RyBo