Sign in to follow this  
27 others

Why Mouse Acceleration in First Person desperately needs Fixing #2 *Long Post*

Lol at people actually defending the bad mouse controls. I guess the BI devs were all wrong fixing it in ARMA3 and improving smoothness because they were obviously fine before.

They are broken and bad in DayZ, no way around it.

Lol at people actually defending the bad mouse controls. I guess the BI devs were all wrong fixing it in ARMA3 and improving smoothness because they were obviously fine before.

They are broken and bad in DayZ, no way around it.

Maybe there is no "right" or "wrong" for this and it's all down to a matter of preference?

So, you buy a device that compensates for Dayz` shitty mouse movement and then come on here to tell me there is nothing wrong with it? LOL.

I might actually give this a shot, tho, it looks promising. But it shouldnt even be necessary.

EDIT: just took a look around on amazon..... well.... how much did you pay for your TrackIR?

No i had it turned off. You can see my mouse options menu on multiple tests in the Youtube Video. I just tried to raise the aiming deadzone-bar... it would always set itself back to 0% after quitting the menu.

No, I bought a device that enhances the game. Prior to that I used the free look button to look around. Most FPS have the gun hardlocked to your viewing. A few allow you to free look and few more allow free look in some manner OTHER than a modifier key allowing you to look around using the mouse. ARMA is one of those that lets you look around with other input and will accept input from TrackIR and thus input from Occulus Rift once that takes off. This isn't to "counter act" anything in the mouse I was commenting on how you mentioned that a person turning would first turn their head to look in the direction they want to point in and then move their body to match. TrackIR lets you do just that in a fairly natural way. The movement of  your body/gun remains exactly the same only your head is free to roam. 

I don't have an issue with the movement of the mouse and I think that is because I have acclimated myself to it. In other words I have learned to play the game. 

I have a little bit of aiming deadzone on, which smooths out movement a tiny bit for me, but not a lot. I'll have to play with it later one when I get home and see what I have things set to, if I have time tonight. Not sure if I will I have a lot to do after work tonight.

"Prior to that I used the free look button to look around"

Holding ALT only is of limited help. Pressing ALT and moving the mouse only accomplishes head movement and does not carry the crosshair with it. This, in itself, is fine. It helps you look into directions faster.

But, there are a few significant problems:

- You do not automatically walk into the direction youre "free looking" to. Indoor navigation is not made easier, because:

- in order to really face a door, you have to let go of ALT and adjust your body position. There is only a limited scope of rotation that holding ALT can accomplish. If you held ALT during the whole time scavenging a house, you would end up going backwards or something. Its not easy to explain, you best try that out yourself

- Having to release ALT pretty much resets your core problem. Lets say you sense somebody behind you and want to shoot him. Holding ALT and moving the mouse enables you to look diagonally behind yourself rather fast. You spot the threat behind yourself, and now you have to let go of ALT again, because your crosshair wasnt carried with the view. This makes you face completely away from him again and confronts you with the exact same problem you had before. And then you are shot in the back.

In Dayz, the head either moves solely and has to snap back to its original position if you consider using your arms, or (in cooperation with the arms) moves at the speed of snail.

This does not reflect reality (see the picture i drew in paint in the first post)

Edited by 27 others

Maybe there is no "right" or "wrong" for this and it's all down to a matter of preference?

Yeah, let them add an option to disable mouse acceleration like in ARMA3 so people can pick whatever they prefer. If you like accurate mouse movements, you go with 1:1 raw and if you do not then you can keep the acceleration on.

Edited by myshl0ng

i tried it again with ingame mouse sensitivity turned town to 0%.

the thing is: sometimes turning doesnt feel all that bad, while its still way slower than reality. other times you need 3 motions to turn around, even tho my mouse pad is wider than regular size.

since i mostly keep my mouse pretty much in the middle-ish area of the pad, this is still a problem. I can not predict in which direction I need to turn next to ensure that there is enough mousepad to make a gentle, fully pulled through sweep that makes me face that way. changing the walking direction in a circle (from "W" to "A" to "S", for example) helps a bit. If my mouse ends up being 8cm apart from my keyboard, and i want to make a left turn, my mouse collides with my keyboard and i have to reposition the mouse. Like, I do a 200° turn, spot my enemy, reposition my mouse, begin to movemy crosshair towards him and then the negative acceleration kicks in and totally kicks me out of concept. It just feels so awkward compared to other games and i think im gonna have to pass on first person gameplay if it stays that way.

You are still doing something wrong lol. I have a very small mouse mat (to fit on the arm of my couch) and thats enough to spin well over 360 in one controlled smooth motion. If I move to fast I get less than 30 degrees of turn though, thats how big the difference can be just on mouse movement speed. I dont think there should be options to have it off, that would defeat the whole purpose of it being there. And most people would turn it off for the clear advantages :)

The mouse acceleration is really annoying in DayZ. Coming from some one that still plays quake since back in the days it feels really unnatural to me like theres some kind of delay and slime under my mouse.

If you compare movements from quake and counterstrike the mouse movements move instantly and not sluggish as in dayz.

Personally in my opinion it should not be removed as it gives the game that genuine dayz feeling.

Edited by monoking

...moves at the speed of snail.

No, it in fact, does not. When you try to move it does... but it doesn't for me. The only logical conclusion is...

You%27re_Doing_It_Wrong.jpg

You guys don't understand. Removing mouse acceleration gives no advantage in terms of speed. I'm also a counter strike player that plays with raw input and no mouse acceleration. I have to move my mouse across my whole mousepad to perform a 360. But this doesn't make me move faster but more precise. The advantage against high sens users is that i have more precision. 

Currently in DayZ SA = There is only 1 mouse speed. The one you set in your option. When you move your mouse faster you move slower. People in this forum always talk about how important realism is in Dayz. So you can move only at one speed IRL? But when you turn your body fast it slows down? Dayz just feels extremely unnatural.

And when you remove mouse acceleration you are not faster! Because its 1:1 input. Move mouse slow = move slow ingame, move mouse faster = move fast ingame. But the maximum speed is set by your mouse sensitivity, not acceleration! There is no advantage. If the game had positive acceleration you would gain an advantage. 

Edited by sk1y
  • Like 1

Gonna tweet BI saying they were moving their mice wrong and they need to patch ARMA3 mouse controls back to ARMA2/DayZ style.

You guys don't understand. Removing mouse acceleration gives no advantage in terms of speed. I'm also a counter strike player that plays with raw input and no mouse acceleration. I have to move my mouse across my whole mousepad to perform a 360. But this doesn't make me move faster but more precise. The advantage against high sens users is that i have more precision. 

Currently in DayZ SA = There is only 1 mouse speed. The one you set in your option. When you move your mouse faster you move slower. People in this forum always talk about how important realism is in Dayz. So you can move only at one speed IRL. But when you turn your body fast it slows down? Dayz just feels extremely unnatural.

And when you remove mouse acceleration you are not faster! Because its 1:1 input. Move mouse slow = move slow ingame, move mouse faster = move fast ingame. But the maximum speed is set by your mouse sensitivity, not acceleration! There is no advantage. If the game had positive acceleration you would gain an advantage. 

It does give a speed increase....as you will not be slowed when accelerating. That means you can get from point A to point B on the mouse pad quicker. Thats what allows for twitch shots, something this system nullifies completely. If this game started to feel like CS I would be very sad, raw 1:1 input is just inside peoples cumfort zones. Ask them to learn a new system that will punish them for making choppy unrealistic movements and they dont like it :)

And when you remove mouse acceleration you are not faster! Because its 1:1 input. 

1:1 input so when someone's mouse sensitivity is all they way up they can literally spin in place with very small movements of the mouse... AKA: Twitch shooting. While they lose a bit of accuracy people often have on the fly mouse sensitivity changes that allow them to spin 360 by moving 1" to one side OR when they click the Right Mouse to look down the sights it lowers sensitivity so they are more smooth. 

They will be eventually looking into changing it slightly if not removing it, however DayZ is not a Twitch game the the negative mouse acceleration actually works to give the guns and players weight. 1:1 doesn't. Since I prefer that I really don't mind it and quickly got used to it. 

The main issue is that there seems to be a subset of players that believes that all games should respond like some other FPS do instead of actually LEARNING TO PLAY THE GAME AS IT EXISTS.

• Like 1

Mercules i can completely understand your point. I don't want people to turn around in first person like they had spin bots like in counter strike. Can't the devs put a limit for maximum speed/360 turn? I'm not asking to remove negative acceleration for more speed and being able to perform flick shots. I just want the "natural" feeling i have with raw imput and no mouse acceleration. When i walk in a house and slowly move my mouse i want to be able to look around smoothly. And when i want to observe a large area and move my mouse fast in want to move faster ingame as well.

It does give a speed increase....as you will not be slowed when accelerating. That means you can get from point A to point B on the mouse pad quicker. Thats what allows for twitch shots, something this system nullifies completely. If this game started to feel like CS I would be very sad, raw 1:1 input is just inside peoples cumfort zones. Ask them to learn a new system that will punish them for making choppy unrealistic movements and they dont like it :)

1:1 input so when someone's mouse sensitivity is all they way up they can literally spin in place with very small movements of the mouse... AKA: Twitch shooting. While they lose a bit of accuracy people often have on the fly mouse sensitivity changes that allow them to spin 360 by moving 1" to one side OR when they click the Right Mouse to look down the sights it lowers sensitivity so they are more smooth. 

They will be eventually looking into changing it slightly if not removing it, however DayZ is not a Twitch game the the negative mouse acceleration actually works to give the guns and players weight. 1:1 doesn't. Since I prefer that I really don't mind it and quickly got used to it. 

The main issue is that there seems to be a subset of players that believes that all games should respond like some other FPS do instead of actually LEARNING TO PLAY THE GAME AS IT EXISTS.

There are things like limiting max mouse speed with 1:1 raw. With that you cannot literally do a 360 in a second because the game will not allow you to go past a certain speed.

Why even argue that mouse acceleration is good when the devs themselves have said it was bad.

"LEARNING TO PLAY THE GAME AS IT EXISTS"

Well let's not fix anything then and learn how to play the game the way it is with all its mistakes and shortcomings.

Edited by myshl0ng

Mercules i can completely understand your point. I don't want people to turn around in first person like they had spin bots like in counter strike. Can't the devs put a limit for maximum speed/360 turn? I'm not asking to remove negative acceleration for more speed and being able to perform flick shots. I just want the "natural" feeling i have with raw imput and no mouse acceleration. When i walk in a house and slowly move my mouse i want to be able to look around smoothly. And when i want to observe a large area and move my mouse fast in want to move faster ingame as well.

But this is exactly how it works... as long as you are not outside the range of allowed speed. 

If green is slow and red is fast:

>......|........|.< = no issue

>......|..........<..| = issue

Edited by Mercules

There are things like limiting max mouse speed with 1:1 raw. With that you cannot literally do a 360 in a second because the game will not allow you to go past a certain speed.

Why even argue that mouse acceleration is good when the devs themselves have said it was bad.

Well let's not fix anything then and learn how to play the game the way it is with all its mistakes and shortcomings.

Because I know that most people hate it when they first try it, but most, over time come to like it. There has already been complaints about the new Arma 3 system, and how it feels gamey or un-immersive. Many hours of competitive A2 showed me the value of it and I would like to see it stay.

If you limit the speed of raw input then it will still feel arkward, as it still wont respond to a quick movement. This way just punishes the player more for loosing there cool, and I think thats what most people dont like. They dont like that its not easy, like every other game, and taking aim actually requires some thought and skill....not just raw 1:1 point and click.

Nice Slippery Slope Fallacy... 

You will notice I stated the Devs are changing it. What I am attempting to put forth is that it isn't the priority some people are making it out to be because with a small amount of practice people can get used to it and then never even notice it is there anymore. How do they do this magical thing? They stop blaming the system (which actually isn't horrible) and learn to play.  I don't like the 3rd person exploits, but I have learned to utilize them when on a third person server and don't demand that this is the highest priority because it is something that personally bugs me... I understand that is the way the game is and things like full character wipes and getting more zombies as well as proper zombie pathing and other code into the game is higher priority than something someone can learn to deal with in an afternoon of playing.

I didn't buy the Alpha to "play the game early", but to support the developers by finding and reporting bugs, and help them on their way to finish a product that seems to become something great.

But at the moment i completely refuse to play the alpha with that negative mouse acceleration and i also convinced a few other people that asked me about it, to not buy it before this got fixed.

I do not care if the alpha lacks a lot of content, i do not care if things are broken, i do not care about crashes, glitches, character wipes, placeholders and bugs at all.

But if something makes me quit the game (no matter how good all the other aspects of this alpha are), because it doesn't let me "dive" into the virtual world, then i call this a "completely gamebraking" mechanic.

The fact that this is not a bug, but was implementet intentionally makes it even worse in my eyes.

If something brakes the immersion in such an "unignorable" way, that i can't just overlook it by the fact that it's still an early alpha, then it is a much more serious problem than any other broken/unfinished aspect of the game.

This is not something you can easy get used to, it's annoying as hell and completely keeps us away from having an enjoyable gaming experience.

I gave the alpha many tries, but this unnatural "mousefeeling" always annoyed me to the point that i quit the game, no matter how hard i tried to ignore it and focus on other game aspects.

I'm really looking forward to the next update, where hopefully the devs patched the negative mouse acceleration out of the alpha.

I love everything that adds some authenticity (don't let us talk about realism in a game) to a game, but for the moment i would like to recommend the following steps:

Just give us raw input and 1:1 aiming (no neg. or positive acceleration) for the moment so we can actually play the game and help evolve it.

Then implement a better system to simulate the weight when you figured out a way to do it without rendering the game almost unplayable for a big part of your playerbase.

Negative mouse acceleration is, ever was and will ever be a 100% complete NO GO and has absolutely no place in ANY PC game!

The devs. can't be true PC players if they really thought this was a good idea when they implementet that faulty negative mouse acceleration!

If you (the devs) now offically claim that negative mouse acceleration is a good thing, i will put you in the same dark corner with patrick back (yes that arrogant guy that lies to their customers and is also the executive producer on Battlefield 3 & 4) that says «Modding is a declining trend»!

Also the closed alpha testers should have reportet that as the #1 issue in the very first minute they spawned for the first time and startet to look around.

I don't know if they did, but if not, then you picked the wrong people to support you with feedback during the closed alpha.

Now that the alpha is available for the masses you finally get some honest feedback and requests from the actual playerbase, now you only have to listen to us.

You want people that "quote from the steam store page"«WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME», to play the alpha?

Then don't ingore us, remove negative mouse acceleration completely until you found a better working solution and let us play the gam, so we can actively help you in your development process.

Thanks, see you in berenzino when the alpha is in a playable state.

Edited by KiloSwiss
  • Like 1

Because I know that most people hate it when they first try it, but most, over time come to like it. There has already been complaints about the new Arma 3 system, and how it feels gamey or un-immersive. Many hours of competitive A2 showed me the value of it and I would like to see it stay.

If you limit the speed of raw input then it will still feel arkward, as it still wont respond to a quick movement. This way just punishes the player more for loosing there cool, and I think thats what most people dont like. They dont like that its not easy, like every other game, and taking aim actually requires some thought and skill....not just raw 1:1 point and click.

There has been very little to no complaints about ARMA3 mouse movements. I have no idea where you got that from lol. And if there were major outcries about ARMA3 controls then were are the issue reports on them?

You cannot do fast movements with 1:1 raw imput? First you say putting in raw input will make the game into a twitch shooter and now you go around and say it won't repond to quick movements? Make some sense please.

The "panicking" reason makes no sense either because with 1;1 input your aim would throw off even more. If anything, negative accelerations doesn't punish you for panicking but helps you because it will not let you do erratic movements- something a panicking and in a rush person would do.

This is not something you can easy get used to, it's annoying as hell and completely keeps us away from having an enjoyable gaming experience.]

I think you mean it is not something that ~YOU~ can easy get used to. Others seem to have no issue with getting used to it. Think about that.

Negative mouse acceleration is, ever was and will ever be a 100% complete NO GO and has absolutely no playce in ANY PC game!

The devs. can't be true PC players if they really thought this was a good idea when they implementet that faulty negative mouse acceleration!

YES! I get to use the "No true Scotsman" fallacy link!

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

Thank you... I've been waiting for some dumbass to claim something about how "true gamers" would or would not for months now.

Nice Slippery Slope Fallacy... 

You will notice I stated the Devs are changing it. What I am attempting to put forth is that it isn't the priority some people are making it out to be because with a small amount of practice people can get used to it and then never even notice it is there anymore. How do they do this magical thing? They stop blaming the system (which actually isn't horrible) and learn to play.  I don't like the 3rd person exploits, but I have learned to utilize them when on a third person server and don't demand that this is the highest priority because it is something that personally bugs me... I understand that is the way the game is and things like full character wipes and getting more zombies as well as proper zombie pathing and other code into the game is higher priority than something someone can learn to deal with in an afternoon of playing.

If you know the devs are changing it then what is the point of telling everyone it is fine and you should get used to it. I can aim very well with positive and negative mouse acceleration in any FPS. That doesn't mean I like it and just because I know how to do it that I should deal with it.

No because of this 

There has been very little to no complaints about ARMA3 mouse movements. I have no idea where you got that from lol. And if there were major outcries about ARMA3 controls then were are the issue reports on them?

Really? :) Check the quote above your own.

If you know the devs are changing it then what is the point of telling everyone it is fine and you should get used to it. I can aim very well with positive and negative mouse acceleration in any FPS. That doesn't mean I like it and just because I know how to do it that I should deal with it.

Because it isn't a priority. DayZ:Mod has had it in there always. Once you take the time to get used to it it is really a non-issue. I could care less if they are going to remove it but it was put into ARMA II for a reason and that reason was to give movement weight. Maybe it doesn't accomplish it right, but it had a reason for implementation and my experiences in FPS since the early 90s tell me that reason was a good one even if the implementation wasn't perfect. As I stated, it isn't a PRIORITY, because it takes good players all of an afternoon to get used to it and basically ignore it after that. 

Really? :) Check the quote above your own.

Because it isn't a priority. DayZ:Mod has had it in there always. Once you take the time to get used to it it is really a non-issue. I could care less if they are going to remove it but it was put into ARMA II for a reason and that reason was to give movement weight. Maybe it doesn't accomplish it right, but it had a reason for implementation and my experiences in FPS since the early 90s tell me that reason was a good one even if the implementation wasn't perfect. As I stated, it isn't a PRIORITY, because it takes good players all of an afternoon to get used to it and basically ignore it after that. 

Falling off ladders if you didn't switch to pistol was also fixed. Why didn't anyone get used to that? When you get used to it it is really a non issue. That spinning video only shows that there is no limit to 1:1 which can very easily be implemented. You can't do that even in BF3/4 when prone and that game is arcade as hell. There were a lot more things in Arma2 and mods that were fixed but I guess people should have just gotten used to them and BI was wrong and the majority of people who wanted the fixes were wrong.

Yeah, neg. acceleration was put into the game for a reason but it was then taken out for a reason.

my experiences in FPS since the early 90s tell me that

Appeal to authority fallacy

You cannot do fast movements with 1:1 raw imput? First you say putting in raw input will make the game into a twitch shooter and now you go around and say it won't repond to quick movements? Make some sense please.

The "panicking" reason makes no sense either because with 1;1 input your aim would throw off even more. If anything, negative accelerations doesn't punish you for panicking but helps you because it will not let you do erratic movements- something a panicking and in a rush person would do.

You missunderstand me, im saying that if you implement 1:1....then restrict it....it will be almost the same as negg accell....in as much as when you attempt to move very quickly the cap will hit, ok so it wont slow you down as much, but will still feel odd compared to generic 1:1. If thats gonna be the case why not just stick with negg accell. And that vid in mercules post illustrates exactly why 1:1 is bad. Really its that that has no place in computer games, if you want anything bordering on realism. IMO dumming down a feature to appeal to the masses isnt what dayz is about.

I return from work just to see that Mercules and Karmaterror have pooped all over the thread.

Here we go...

I have a very small mouse mat and thats enough to spin well over 360 in one controlled smooth motion.

in can spin about 360° in one controlled smooth motion, too. It takes approx. 2.2-2.6 seconds. This does not sound a lot, but it is, compared to reality. Human beings move twice as fast.
And they dont have to move this steadily and this controlledly not to fall down and break their hip. Watch a match of Tennis.

I dont think there should be options to have it off, that would defeat the whole purpose of it being there.

What kind of argument is that? Yes, the devs implemented it for a purpose. It should add weight to the weapon and make the movement speed more realistic. Weapons do not weigh 50 kilograms. The purpose was utterly missed/overshot, resulting in problems so radical, that even 1:1 input would be a more realistic solution.

it doesn't for me.

You%27re_Doing_It_Wrong.jpg

Your perception of realistic speed is probably as restricted and distorted as from the guy above you. Your tummy feeling says its normal. My experiment shows it isnt. I doubt im doing anything wrong, since i tested it under every possible circumstance anyone here brought forward. I moved my mouse gently, fast, controlled, softly, changed my windows mouse sensitivity configuration, changed and fooled around with my ingame configuration countless times, compared it to other games, compared it to a realistic environment.... and there are many others here who suffer from the same problem.  Please, tell us how to "do it right".

Oh, wait. You cant. You only come here to post stupid memes to disguise the fact that you have no real arguments.

Karmaterror, I wrote all that text, including the suggestion, for people like you to actually read it. Please do so, in the future. Skimming through does not count as reading.

It does give a speed increase.... That means you can get from point A to point B on the mouse pad quicker.

The mouse movement speed would be increased from the current version. The current version moves way too slowly. That would be a wanted effect, yes. You got that right.
Im not sure what you mean with "you can get from point A to B on the mousepad quicker".... your real life mouse movement is not influenced...?

....as you will not be slowed when accelerating. 

Thats only partly right.

In my suggestion, you will be slowed down when accelerating speed exceeds 300°/s. In this case, your movement speed would stay at these 300°/s, instead of going to 570°/s like in most shooters, and instead of going down to 30°/s like in Dayz.

You are correct that until mouse movement reaches 300°/s, no negative mouse acceleration would take place. Negative mouse acceleration, at this stage, is not even closely matured enough to justify its existence in any FPS. In real life, the time it takes to accelerate a 3.5kg M4 to 300°/s only has a marginal effect on the overall turning duration, and also not even closely justifies doubling the time of motion.

Thats what allows for twitch shots..

Wrong. 

- slowed down max. mouse speed
- drastic widening of crosshair when acceleration exceeds 200°/s until it goes below that again and a buffer time period has passed --> Try to twitch shoot and you won`t hit anything.

Please read my suggestion again. Try to grasp it.

raw 1:1 input is just inside peoples cumfort zones.

Yes it is in their comfort zones. I dont want it either, but i would prefer it to the Dayz version because it is         m o r e   r e a l i s t i c .....
Yes the Arma 2 devs tried to make their version more realistic than ego shooters. It backfired, sadly.

Ask them to learn a new system that will punish them for making choppy unrealistic movements and they dont like it  :)

Humans are able to vary their movement speed while in motion. Just watch a match of Tennis.

1:1 input so when someone's mouse sensitivity is all they way up they can literally spin in place with very small movements of the mouse... AKA: Twitch shooting. 

Yeah I DONT WANT THAT. Some people here want it because they current system sucks in every regard.

the negative mouse acceleration actually works to give the guns and players weight. 1:1 doesn't. Since I prefer that I really don't mind it and quickly got used to it. 

Yes it gives the gun weight. about 50 kg. Guns dont weigh that much and holding stuff does not impair your neck movement.

Edited by 27 others
  • Like 2