Sign in to follow this  
27 others

Why Mouse Acceleration in First Person desperately needs Fixing #2 *Long Post*

Having beautiful animations is less than a secondary concern. Also, the video you show has more or less 1:1 input. Nobody would do circles like this when he was actually playing.

would you rather play as a character that can only look at stuff directly in front of of himself, but who has fluid and beautiful walking animations?

Or would you rather play as a character that can actually move his f*cking head?

Edited by 27 others

Mouse acceleration needs to die. Long live the Raw Input.  :beans:

• Like 4

ATTENTION

HOW TO FIX MOUSE'S AXIS:

OPEN:

Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\USERNAME.txt

USING NOTPEAD 'FIND' FUCTION FIND AND SET THE FOLLOWING VALUES (or any other values that are the same)

mouseSensitivityX=0.5;
mouseSensitivityY=0.5;

Read it all....you are moving your mouse in dayz too fast!! lol. Slow the movment down and you can 360 in about the same time as an "ego shooter", the only time you are penalised is when trying to move too fast. There is no limit to the speed you can turn in dayz .....as long as you move at a CONSISTENT speed. 

Sensativity has no effect at all...its ALL about wether you move consitently or wether you accelerate as you turn.

Im gonna have to make a vid to show this to people lol....whats good recording software besides fraps?

OP, you tested using a "fast sweeping" motion. Try again, with a slower more controlled motion and you'll find you can turn much more quickly. It sounds backwards, I know, but that's how it works.

If you hold left alt, your head (view) moves independently from your arms and weapon.  I don't see the issue.

• Like 1

Read it all....you are moving your mouse in dayz too fast!! lol. Slow the movment down and you can 360 in about the same time as an "ego shooter", the only time you are penalised is when trying to move too fast. There is no limit to the speed you can turn in dayz .....as long as you move at a CONSISTENT speed. 

Sensativity has no effect at all...its ALL about wether you move consitently or wether you accelerate as you turn.

Im gonna have to make a vid to show this to people lol....whats good recording software besides fraps?

OP, you tested using a "fast sweeping" motion. Try again, with a slower more controlled motion and you'll find you can turn much more quickly. It sounds backwards, I know, but that's how it works.

This is trying to justify a horrible horrible thing like negative acceleration. It has to be removed. I might as well be playing with a controller.

They should just limit the maximum speed you can turn around with 1:1 input (like OP stated), instead of suddenly applying a negative force if your mouse speed goes over the magical line 10 pixels a second too fast

The mouse input works fine for me is all I'm saying...

• Like 1

This is trying to justify a horrible horrible thing like negative acceleration. It has to be removed. I might as well be playing with a controller.

That your oppinion, and you are entitled to it. However the controller statement isnt true. You can turn just as fast as in any other fps game (to a point) if you just control your movements. To me this adds a layer of immersion. Stay controlled and calm and you will have responsive input, freak out and try to make an un-controlled movement and you will be punished. 

I honestly think that people are just not trying to play with the system as intended. They make choppy movements and blame the game instead of themselfs. Get to grips with this feature, and you will see its benefit. It reflects life.....controlled movement is accurate, where as rushed movement is anaccurate and often sloppy. 

Ever heard of the phrase "a rush job" generally its a negative phrase for things done to quickly and not as well as you intended........welcome to negg mouse accel :D

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

If you hold left alt, your head (view) moves independently from your arms and weapon.  I don't see the issue.

"Holding ALT does not help navigating as well. Normal Mouse movement has an immediate effect on the direction you are walking, Mouse movement holding ALT has not."

I tested it again, moving the mouse very gently. The new value i got was 360°/2.2s -> 163° per second -> pretty much on paar with the level of unrealism of common shooters

In a stress situation i would never move any part of my body as slowly as i have to do it in Dayz, to get a halfway acceptable response.

I may be ok with a maximum possible mouse acceleration, but decreasing the speed of mouse movement input way beyond that..... no thanks.

Stay controlled and calm and you will have responsive input, freak out and try to make an un-controlled movement and you will be punished. 

Following that theory, we should all walk around with skisuits and thick helmets in real life to prevent damage.

If you sense a person more or less behind yourself, what is the purpose of maintaining total control over your weapon nozzle during the WHOLE turning process? 

"You can turn just as fast as in any other fps game (to a point) if you just control your movements."

Define "to a point" please... i cant help but think you just made that up.

Edited by 27 others

That your oppinion, and you are entitled to it. However the controller statement isnt true. You can turn just as fast as in any other fps game (to a point) if you just control your movements. To me this adds a layer of immersion. Stay controlled and calm and you will have responsive input, freak out and try to make an un-controlled movement and you will be punished. 

I honestly think that people are just not trying to play with the system as intended. They make choppy movements and blame the game instead of themselfs. Get to grips with this feature, and you will see its benefit. It reflects life.....controlled movement is accurate, where as rushed movement is anaccurate and often sloppy. 

Ever heard of the phrase "a rush job" generally its a negative phrase for things done to quickly and not as well as you intended........welcome to negg mouse accel :D

Nobody moves and turns like this in real life.

And when you say it is "realistic because of panic and stuff", I am not panicking when I am looting a house alone and I still need to move my mouse like I am in panic mode. And if they are willing to have something ridiculously unrealistic like 3rd person view in the game then they can also make FPS view playable as well. I do not move like a tank in real life, neither should I do in this game that is supposed to be realistic. Not to mention that you are comparing real life muscle control to mouse control and trying to simulate panic. How the hell does the game know how much I panic or not.

FPS view is broken and negative acceleration one of the causes of it. They can have the same effect of not allowing you to turn around too fast by just limiting max speed with 1:1 input like some games do.

I love how some people say "I play 3rd person view because FPS view is too clunky and slow" but then fixes for FPS view get shot down because some arbitrary realism reason that makes no sense compared to some the unrealistic stuff in the game, or "it works for me lol".

Rocket messed up by even leaving it in from the get go. The only games I have seen do that are bad console ports.

Edited by myshl0ng

With all due respect what you call fast, many of us don't. I am no "hardzcorez gamerr" and this post is not intended that way, but I game at 2560x1440 and until my mouse died on me recently I was playing at 5,000 DPI, it's just how I'm comfortable, but for this the game decides I must be punished because unless I move my mouse at half my usual speed it becomes essentially unresponsive. I could just turn my sensitivity down, and I did try as low as 2500 DPI, but at this point I am basically running out of mouse pad and my character feels like turning in a tub of treacle.

There is really no reason for the deceleration to be so harsh as it is, it adds nothing to the gameplay and is not remotely consistent over user set-ups. It actually punishes you for being accurate. It's not even realistic in terms of how people move.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

OP, we're going to have to see that video of you spinning around with a backpack and a barbell.

• Like 1

With all due respect what you call fast, many of us don't. I am no "hardzcorez gamerr" and this post is not intended that way, but I game at 2560x1440 and until my mouse died on me recently I was playing at 5,000 DPI, it's just how I'm comfortable, but for this the game decides I must be punished because unless I move my mouse at half my usual speed it becomes essentially unresponsive. I could just turn my sensitivity down, and I did try as low as 2500 DPI, but at this point I am basically running out of mouse pad and my character feels like turning in a tub of treacle.

There is really no reason for the deceleration to be so harsh as it is, it adds nothing to the gameplay and is not remotely consistent over user set-ups. It actually punishes you for being accurate. It's not even realistic in terms of how people move.

Are you using a postage stamp for a mouse pad? I'm playing at 500 DPI with the mouse sensitivity turned down as far as it goes in-game. In all seriousness I would recommend turning that down a bit.

OP, we're going to have to see that video of you spinning around with a backpack and a barbell.

Just let me keep a tiny bit of human dignity, please.

Are you using a postage stamp for a mouse pad? I'm playing at 500 DPI with the mouse sensitivity turned down as far as it goes in-game. In all seriousness I would recommend turning that down a bit.

tested it again with lowest possible ingame mouse sensitivity. No improvement.

DPI?

tested it with fully cranked up mouse sensitivity in windows settings, highest DPI (buttons on my mouse)   +   Dayz Mouse Sensitivity 0%, Moving the mouse as gently as required

Result: 2.25s/360° -> as unrealistic as CoD, pretty slow, if you accidentally get above max acceleration -> spastic slow down

tested it with lowest possible mouse sensitivity in windows settings, lowest DPI (buttons on my mouse) +  Dayz Mouse Sensitivity 0%, with each gentle and fast mouse movement at a time

Result: - Having to apply 3 sweeps to make a 360° turn

Edited by 27 others

Steelseries 4HD mouse pad, but you're right I only use a few inches of it. I don't claw grip and I don't like sweeping movements so 3500-4000 DPI on my new G400S with in-game sense down to minimum feels very nice. I do still wish I weren't punished with the negative acceleration though.

I noticed a slight improvement when I turned the in-game sensitivity to minimum on both axis, I did this while I was still using my old mouse, but I still get the negative acceleration too. I don't get why people are against giving us the option to turn it off (or at least turn it down a lot).

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

Having beautiful animations is less than a secondary concern. Also, the video you show has more or less 1:1 input. Nobody would do circles like this when he was actually playing.

would you rather play as a character that can only look at stuff directly in front of of himself, but who has fluid and beautiful walking animations?

Or would you rather play as a character that can actually move his f*cking head?

The mouse doesn't move your head. The mouse moves your body and gun. Want to move your head quickly to the side? Buy a TrackIR. 

This is very true. I've been playing the Mod for over a year and the SA since it came out. I have NO ISSUE moving in DayZ unless I play some other FPS for a while and then start up DayZ without a real break. It is different but it takes all of 5 minutes for me to get the feeling back and start controlling my character correctly. This leads me to believe it is not an issue with the acceleration but USER ERROR. This game doesn't have to move differently, people just need to learn how to play. Use a high DPI setting on the mouse and whip it around and you end up with crappy movement in game. Use a lower DPI setting and move fluidly and your avatar moves fluidly. 

Bad players are bad players which are bad player who are bad players. A "good player" learns how to control their characters in game, if they suck they go, "Damn I suck. I guess I need to practice." . A "bad player" determines it isn't their fault and sights some flaw in the game that makes them suck as it obviously isn't their fault. 

• Like 1

i tried it again with ingame mouse sensitivity turned town to 0%.

the thing is: sometimes turning doesnt feel all that bad, while its still way slower than reality. other times you need 3 motions to turn around, even tho my mouse pad is wider than regular size.

since i mostly keep my mouse pretty much in the middle-ish area of the pad, this is still a problem. I can not predict in which direction I need to turn next to ensure that there is enough mousepad to make a gentle, fully pulled through sweep that makes me face that way. changing the walking direction in a circle (from "W" to "A" to "S", for example) helps a bit. If my mouse ends up being 8cm apart from my keyboard, and i want to make a left turn, my mouse collides with my keyboard and i have to reposition the mouse. Like, I do a 200° turn, spot my enemy, reposition my mouse, begin to movemy crosshair towards him and then the negative acceleration kicks in and totally kicks me out of concept. It just feels so awkward compared to other games and i think im gonna have to pass on first person gameplay if it stays that way.

Edited by 27 others

The mouse doesn't move your head. The mouse moves your body and gun.

Which is a stupid concept.

Please read my first post in here.

It is different but it takes all of 5 minutes for me to get the feeling back and start controlling my character correctly.

Good for you. I could try to adapt to this way of mouse movement, like i adapted to it in 3rd person. It`s still unrealistic,  restricting and punishing for no reason.

Use a lower DPI setting and move fluidly and your avatar moves fluidly.

To achieve a more or less fluid motion in Dayz, you have to apply a gently as f*ck sweep and sacrifice almost twice the time you would take for such motion.

You`re happy with the mouse movement? That may be because you do not realize how slow you are only able to turn in a fast-paced situation, or on how many door frames you get stuck.

A "bad player" determines it isn't their fault and sights some flaw in the game that makes them suck as it obviously isn't their fault. 

I do not complain about everything. If you read through my first post and my experiment, you would maybe understand that it is, in fact, an existing flaw.

Edited by 27 others

Which is a stupid concept.

Please read my first post in here.

I did... I didn't come to the same conclusion. I use a TrackIR to move my head and find I wish other FPS would come to realize how nice that system is and support it. 

Do you have the mouse "dead space" turned on? If so that would add compound the issue because your first bit of motion will not move the mouse which prompts some to move the mouse faster and leads to them triggering the acceleration. I know I altered how much dead space I had on my mouse. Hmmmm... looks like my remote system isn't on for my home computer so I can't hop in there quick and take a peek at my settings. I'd play around a bit though and I bet you can find something comfortable if you try.

I use a TrackIR to move my head and find I wish other FPS would come to realize how nice that system is and support it. 

So, you buy a device that compensates for Dayz` shitty mouse movement and then come on here to tell me there is nothing wrong with it? LOL.

I might actually give this a shot, tho, it looks promising. But it shouldnt even be necessary.

EDIT: just took a look around on amazon..... well.... how much did you pay for your TrackIR?

Do you have the mouse "dead space" turned on? If so that would add compound the issue

No i had it turned off. You can see my mouse options menu on multiple tests in the Youtube Video. I just tried to raise the aiming deadzone-bar... it would always set itself back to 0% after quitting the menu.

Edited by 27 others