Sign in to follow this  
MrGreenMen

Mobility

At the moment it's hard to move fast between the citys.

I would find it good, if there will exist bikes or something like that, in the next update.

Also interesting would be the possibility to spawn directly by friends (their position) over steam, to play immediately with friends.

Bikes will most likely be implimented, but you will NEVER see a fast travel, teleport, spawn on friends function.

Consider what you're saying for all of 3 seconds, and I'm sure you can think of at least 20 different ways in which that would ruin the immersion, tension and very aim of the game (the fight for survival) as well as trivialise the vulnerability of being alone...

Not to mention the countless ways this could be exploited, should you find a fresh military base, teleport all your friends in, get loot, then teleport to the other end of the map and do it again there.

Don't bother suggesting timers. No penalty for teleporting is severe enough for it to NOT be worth it, and it is entirely game breaking.

Edited by Teemo
  • Like 2

bikes I think will be added long before cars.

And I will pretend I did not here you say spawn directly by friends 

• Like 1

Bikes will most likely be implimented, but you will NEVER see a fast travel, teleport, spawn on friends function.

Rocket has been talking about implementing the possibility to spawn with your friends. He really likes the idea.

Edited by Korsbaek

Rocket has been talking about implementing the possibility to spawn with your friends. He really likes the idea.

I reckon every one likes the idea... But I honestly don't see any plausible way in which this won't fuck up more than it fixes.

Take any single MMO you can think of. As things became more and more accessible, they also became less and less important. Dungeon finders, lack of exclusive content. You name it.

Things stop mattering, if you don't have to fight for it. If you can just teleport to your mates, even if they have to be out of combat for it to happen, then death is NOT a punishment.

Death is the main thing DayZ has going for it.

I'm comparing DayZ to regular MMO's because much of the structure and appeal is the same. You build your character, tell your tale, and immerse yourself in a world that's constant. To some extent.

If you no longer have to have a "bad start" then no character will ever feel special. That fight is what makes this game. We all hate it, but we all hate death more, because of it.

When you spawn with or near your mates, you're auto equipped. Everyone carries enough crap around to start you off. Hunger will never be an issue again, nor thirst. There's a shiny axe waiting for you, no matter where you are.

This is ESPECIALLY true once we get tents  and camps.

It is of uttermost importance, that players can have undesirable starts. Without them, the desirable starts, rare gear or weapons are no longer a stroke of luck and good fortune, but an expected outcome of every encounter.

Zoning in on your mates, is probably one of the most disruptive things you can do to this game. The very essense of it's appeal is instantly invalidated, if you never have to feel impending fear of being alone.

It sucks. But everything you ever did, that mattered, sucked.

That's why it's so damn rewarding when it pans out.

Teleporting to your mates will make this instant call of duty.

Even starting near them on the map, serves but a single purpose. To get you back in the action ASAP. Your death is no longer a cripling setback, it's merely a mild inconvenience.

I pray they never do this.

[EDIT]

If EVERYONE is dead. If EVERYONE has to start over... It would be plausible to start them together. But joining existing players should be an absolute no-go.

Edited by Teemo
  • Like 1

Nail/head there, Teemo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anything other than a rock bottom start with nothing following your death will break the game. Rocket, I implore you not to consider this further.

Edited by Monkfish

I think you're right. A teleporter would be bad, because we could jump directly to the friends and the loots, if somebody is standing over there. This would mean, that you faster collect your loot and lose the fun, to find the loot. But some bycicles or montainbikes would be very nice.

In the reality we also can't teleport and the near realism is that, what raise the funfactor.

(Thanks for your very fast answer)