Otis.Driftwood

What DayZ also needs to be even more realistic?

Your English is not bad, hell its my main language and half the time it sounds like i'm drunk.

Of course not the average person could teach a hawk but of course they would simplify it, they could also have books on the subject. Dogs would be much easier, you wouldn't really have to train it much besides stay and the other essentials but they are fairly intuitive and will growl and things they perceive as a threat. The hard thing would be to teach the dog to track a specific thing, and like I said teaching a bird would be end game, but would be perfect for hermits.

Edited by Vector636

I don't mean to sound negative, but the birdie thingies do not belong in the vanilla setting imo.

Luckily there will likely be a large modders community, which will likely tend to those more exotic aspects of the post-apocalypse.

Edited by oacceptabel

How do they not fit though its about survival, a bird is just another tool you use to hunt with.

I won't argue about the feasibility of training a bird, but it still involves training several times a week for years to accomplish. It's not like the bird will learn from you reading a book. It is too complicated to implement, and even unmanned aerial combat vehicles would be more feasible from a resource perspective in the apocalypse.

Your dog will catch a stick and bark at strangers with little or no training at all.

Yeah like I said they would have to simplify the bird and it would be more complicated then the dog, the bird would be for end game hermits or maybe the random ranger. When I started on the mod alone I just got the basic survival supplies and lived in the mountains.

Edited by Vector636

Some dying animations, you know guy reaching out with his hand or pressing his wound, screaming in shock, something to make you feel you just killed someone rather than them just dropping down like a ton of rocks. 

One thing to do when thinking about suggestions in game is to ask yourself a series of simple questions. Often, by asking them, you may realise that, whilst something would be cool to add, it might not necessarily be technically possible, 'realistic' or just might not work in the setting of the game. So, for trainable birds, ask yourselves these questions...

- Where would the birds come from? Where would you find one?

- How would you acquire one? How would you keep one?

- Would you have to train it and, if so, how? How would the training mechanism work? Detail some steps.

- What purpose would it serve?

- What perks would it give you?

- What are the disadvantages of it? (Yes, there should always be some sort of disadvantage or mechanism to balance it)

- What other impact would it have on the game?

By asking these basic questions, you might find that your proposed idea actually sounds a little ridiculous, won't work, would be difficult to implement or brings nothing of any real value to the table. Or you might find it reinforces the idea as a good one (in your own opinion, of course). But at least by asking these questions yourself, you'll have the answers for the questions people will inevitably ask when it's posted on the forum.

Some dying animations, you know guy reaching out with his hand or pressing his wound, screaming in shock, something to make you feel you just killed someone rather than them just dropping down like a ton of rocks.

This would be cool. Not for headshots, obviously, but it would be cool if a fatal body shot resulted in the victim dropping whatever they were holding, grabbing the wound and screaming as they dropped to the floor. I'd also like a more subtle slip into unconsciousness. You know, screen gets darker, sounds get distant and echoy, light at the end of the tunnel, that sort of thing.
  • Like 1

More realistic?

How about fighting your way through hoards of zombies; cold, tired, and alone. Scrabbling your way through the forests and hoary undergrowth to find safety, and perhaps a little food and water. You find a house. What little furniture is left is broken or badly worn. Cut off from your family and friends (who knows if they're even still alive?) you break one of the chairs up so at least you can have a fire. You pray that your matches haven't got wet.

Hunkering down against the door to keep it shut for the night, you manage to grab just enough sleep to see you through to dawn.

Suddenly a letter comes though the door "Dear Mr. Survivor, we noticed that you haven't submitted your tax returns recently...'

Edited by Trigger Hippy

I'd also like a more subtle slip into unconsciousness. You know, screen gets darker, sounds get distant and echoy, light at the end of the tunnel, that sort of thing.

Me likey. Rather than just getting black screen saying you are dead, you get to see every second before you die.

Hello everyone, i hope that you will read what i have to suggest.

There are couple of things that i would add to DayZ. That way this game would be even more realistic as survival game.

So here we go:

1) Eating and drinking :

When someone has a gas mask (or Dallas or Wolf mask) on and he wants to eat or drink, it would be more realistic that he must remove the mask to make open room for mouth. That should be applied automaticly which means if would take more time for him to do that job.

2) Weather:

if you could add harsh snow and the town well is frozen you will need just to manage from house drops, or, drill a hole  with new item (let's say a manual driller) into a frozen lake. Then, when you collect water you have to heat it a bit because it's too cold to drink

3) Besides zombies maybe you could add another danger? Hungry Dogs? Wolves? 

4) How about forest fruit? Mushrooms? Different kinds of mushrooms for which you have to be careful is it edible, poisonous, or you have to boil it 1st.

5) Running:

I guess in real life you cant actually run 24/7. It would be great to add stamina bar, so when he reach it maximum the character needs to rest, to catch a breath....

These are some of my suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Like them all! 

But the one with the gas mask got me thinking. It sounds silly at first, because it just takes it one step to far.  But think a little bit down the road in the development cycle. If things like airborne infections or even radiation or chemicals come into effect and the gas mask protects you from all these. You'd have to take the mask of in order to eat or drink or you might get exposed to said threats. Therefor you must plan your movement more carefully. In which areas are you going to be, do you need a gas mask, are you well enough fed in order to get through them?

The other suggestions have been made before, but are still very good. 

Have my beans!

For birds the disadvantage would be the large amount of training and the learning curve, for along time you would receive nothing then a small percentage until a certain point. The advantages would be a source of food that would require little energy and risk. They have many different raptors in the surrounding regions you could pick from the many kites or eagles or a osprey if you like fish. You would prob have to acquire it as a chick and be able to feed it&keep it warm until its large enough to fly(considerably shorter then real life, we don't have that much time lol) You would have to read up on what items and food you would need, later when you train them you would have it fly of for a short amount of time and give it the desired food as a treat&reinforcement. Lets say in game you let the bird go it hovers around the general vicinity and comes back you give it 1 piece of rabbit or fish and the distance would get longer each time until its rdy to hunt. Those are some of the things that i could think of off the top of my head I think it would really give certain people a fun end game thing to do.

Edited by Vector636

2) Weather:

if you could add harsh snow and the town well is frozen you will need just to manage from house drops, or, drill a hole  with new item (let's say a manual driller) into a frozen lake. Then, when you collect water you have to heat it a bit because it's too cold to drink

"Then, when you collect water you have to heat it a bit because it's too cold to drink"

1384336963038.jpg

Have you ever cared about the temperature of the water when dying from thirst?

Edited by Fulipes

Consuming large quantities of cold water can have serious health effects, such as an overall lowering of body temperature, a decrease in the functionality of the gastrointestinal tract, and, in extreme cases, anemia.

Edited by Otis.Driftwood
  • Like 2

I like your idea of having to take off a fullface helmet before eating, and sure let the animation handle it for you and add 5 secs to the eating animation, because of the fullface helmet.

Most of the other stuff has already been either confirmed or denied :)

We will most likely get wildlife, from the next patch you can pick berries (YAY), and i believe the reason NONE of the RV engine games have had seasons, on any maps ever and is "stuck" in one season, is because the engine was never build to handle it, so it isnt possible (i believe).
DayZ is autum and will most likely stay that way for ever.

• Like 1

I like your idea of having to take off a fullface helmet before eating, and sure let the animation handle it for you and add 5 secs to the eating animation, because of the fullface helmet.

Most of the other stuff has already been either confirmed or denied :)

We will most likely get wildlife, from the next patch you can pick berries (YAY), and i believe the reason NONE of the RV engine games have had seasons, on any maps ever and is "stuck" in one season, is because the engine was never build to handle it, so it isnt possible (i believe).

DayZ is autum and will most likely stay that way for ever.

It still rains on autumn :) 

And how come that berries grow on autumn and specially with no rain? :)

Consuming large quantities of cold water can have serious health effects, such as an overall lowering of body temperature, a decrease in the functionality of the gastrointestinal tract, and, in extreme cases, anemia.

Oh no, those are awful! Zombies, and dying from thirst, are nothing compared to those! You have my beans!

• Like 1

Oh no, those are awful! Zombies, and dying from thirst, are nothing compared to those! You have my beans!

You can have my beans too, better than cold water :)

Please clarify what you mean with your sweeping generalisation, because the entire simulation genre would probably like to have a word with you, as well as every other game developer that has produced a game that has at least some basis on reality.

I'm sorry if I sounded all out negative to the addition of more realistic elements to DayZ. I'm not generally opposed, I just did not think the bird idea was very realistic.

Body heat is something different! Especially in the future, if we're talking about the addition of seasons in general and winter in particular. Consuming cold food or drinks when already suffering from the first stages of hypothermia would take away even more body heat, and cause further problems. Anyone tried out target shooting when shivering? It's a lot harder to hit anything when shivering.

I like the idea of being able to freeze to death, it will add nicely to the already added complexity of the game, and cold water/food would fit well into that game mechanic.

I dont think they will add seasons but i like your idea of freezing to death if you dont find a source of heat like building a fire or something.

Magic Mushrooms, that would be wild to "accidentally" find some of them and mimic the effects. Surely someone on the dev team has had mushies before, well he you see is the one that should have complete control over the idea and its artistic direction etc. The go to guy if you will.