Sign in to follow this  
Byzan

added health issues & complexity. teeth and feet?

People enjoy being medics in the game and helping others. I think It would make the game more interesting and rewarding. to the type of people that enjoy these types of mini-games and also make the game more social. Survivors would generally rely more on others for long term survival.

I was thinking that teeth are really important in a survival situation for long periods.

in a survival situation relying on fizz drinks/chocolate would cause you serious issues quickly. Would be good if the food/health system in the game gave you benefits if you ate healthy/in moderation. Maybe make some food items like fresh fruit/vege & lean meat more valuable, managing it well gives you a small long term bonus. Maybe sweet foods give you desirable short term boost to energy levels but negatively impact oral health.

Depending on how complex the game gets it would be cool to have some more granular health status areas to maintain.

The two that stick out for me are mouth/teeth and feet, in a survival situation there may be no tooth brushing or tooth paste and no dentist so a tooth problem becomes a life and death issue. Also foot maintenance is critical, bog foot or chronic blisters can become life and death as well.

Example, maybe a survivor drank too much cola over a given period and develops a problem tooth, which prevents them from eating, gives sick status. to fix you would need a pair of pliers or screwdriver - sterilized to reduce infection to pull the tooth, and a friend to perform the task. It would obviously cause bleeding from the mouth and would require sterilized packing/bandage to cure, or even something like a screwdriver heated with a gas burner to cauterize the wound, stop bleeding and reduce infection risk in one shot, but cause a loud screem alerting people in the area!

To go on from there you could add eye health? add chances of eye injuries and infections that blur a survivors vision on one side of the screen, maybe requires antibiotic cream and an eye patch/bandage around the head covering the eye for a period of time to cure. If untreated can cause blindness and death!

• Like 2

IN B4 Surgeon Simulator

Edited by sYs

Teeth? Are you joking? Do you really want us to brush our teeth in a game?

"Tooth Problem becomes a death problem." You cannot die by having a hole in your tooth...

Food maintenance? Are you like, serious? I'm just, no. I'm not even going to comment on this one.

Eye Health? I just. Wow. No. Stop being over-realistic. This is a game. This is an mmo. Not a life simulator.

• Like 1

in a survival situation lacking normal every day items and services often issues usually considered trivial become life threatening

a medical system is already in the game, im just trying to come up with ideas to expand on it and add more real life survival situation variables and complexity.

• Like 1

Teeth? Are you joking? Do you really want us to brush our teeth in a game?

"Tooth Problem becomes a death problem." You cannot die by having a hole in your tooth...

Food maintenance? Are you like, serious? I'm just, no. I'm not even going to comment on this one.

Eye Health? I just. Wow. No. Stop being over-realistic. This is a game. This is an mmo. Not a life simulator.

Actually. You can die from dental issues like having a hole in your tooth.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/oral-care/problems/tooth-infections-lead-to-death.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance-24-year-dies-toothache/story?id=14438171

http://mouthdoctor.net/braininfection.cfm

• Like 2

im not suggesting that it becomes a surgical simulator, or that players would need to clean their teeth.

just that more conditions and treatments be added to the game to build on the medical system thats there. And that the food/drink system be expanded a bit to make it more interesting and complex.

• Like 1

Yes, infections are deadly. (which everyone should know.) The holes themself? Nope.

"Stop being over-realistic" he said started the game and randomly killed players because there is nothing else to do and you dont realy have to care about your body. Also, who needs player interaction? Find people to help you? Pff, silly. [sarcasm stops here]

I might want to see how the game turns out in half a year and if there is enough PvE (i gonna take sickness as environment for the sec) but I defenetly want to see your body or stomach getting bad when you just drink soda or eat tuna only.

Additional health complications?

Broken arms would be a good one and better than teeth. Taken a bad fall and bust an arm? There goes your ability to use anything that requires two hands. Perhaps you could select whether your character is right or left handed and busting your shooting arm means that you have to use your other to fire pistols, making them wildly inaccurate at anything but close range. Breaking an arm could also make other tasks more complicated and time consuming. Opening a tin of food could take longer and you'd spill more.

As a related aside, I quite like the fall mechanism in Miasmata. If you run down a slope too fast, you fall over and the screen goes blurry whilst you roll around the place. Something similar could be tied in with injuries. For example, whilst running away from something, you could slip/trip down a banking, fall over and break an arm.

Head injuries could also be more severe than normal injuries (assuming they're not already) A blunt force trauma to the head could result in serious bleeding and death quite quickly if it isn't treated. Tie this in with the falling mechanism mentioned above and you'd have the possibility of braining yourself during a fall. Bike helmets would prevent this and give them a use other than looking like a bambi. :D

EDIT: In addition to the above, perhaps breaking a limb would result in your character screaming in pain. Others in the area would then hear this. What happens after that would depend on who hears you scream...

Edited by Monkfish

While i'm all for expanding the medical system, this seems a bit tedious.

I'd be more like to die from any number of things in Dayz than I would a toothache. 

People enjoy being medics in the game and helping others. I think It would make the game more interesting and rewarding. to the type of people that enjoy these types of mini-games and also make the game more social. Survivors would generally rely more on others for long term survival.

I was thinking that teeth are really important in a survival situation for long periods.

Being wet, suffering from cold, requiring warm clothing and not just full milgear will be added later in development I believe as it was in the mod.

As far as dental health though, it's not really realistic to DayZ in my opinion.  It could take months and caselots of soda to develop cavities from drinking too many of them.  Drinking a case of soda isn't going to make your teeth start falling out.

I dont honestly think a dental system is a must for the game I'm just trying to come up with ideas to expand the mediacal system a bit.

But I do think its realistic, you get in a survival situation and live of soda/chocolate or canned spaghetti/beans (which have a lot of sugar/salt as well) with no means to clean your teeth and problems will come quick.

broken limbs are partially in or on the way, splints are in the game. So is an exposure cold/hot? system.

foot rot/bog foot if you have wet feet for too long or use the same shoes/boots for too long.

add some more treatment types & ability to cauterize

I think eye injuries would be really cool, force you to run around looking like this for a while:

dennishopper-waterworld.jpg

the idea would be to add a bit more survival med/treatment without going over the top. Dont like my ideas feel free to add your own :)

• Like 1

in a survival situation relying on fizz drinks/chocolate would cause you serious issues quickly. Would be good if the food/health system in the game gave you benefits if you ate healthy/in moderation. Maybe make some food items like fresh fruit/vege & lean meat more valuable, managing it well gives you a small long term bonus. Maybe sweet foods give you desirable short term boost to energy levels but negatively impact oral health.

Depending on how complex the game gets it would be cool to have some more granular health status areas to maintain.

The two that stick out for me are mouth/teeth and feet, in a survival situation there may be no tooth brushing or tooth paste and no dentist so a tooth problem becomes a life and death issue. Also foot maintenance is critical, bog foot or chronic blisters can become life and death as well.

Example, maybe a survivor drank too much cola over a given period and develops a problem tooth, which prevents them from eating, gives sick status. to fix you would need a pair of pliers or screwdriver - sterilized to reduce infection to pull the tooth, and a friend to perform the task. It would obviously cause bleeding from the mouth and would require sterilized packing/bandage to cure, or even something like a screwdriver heated with a gas burner to cauterize the wound, stop bleeding and reduce infection risk in one shot, but cause a loud screem alerting people in the area!

To go on from there you could add eye health? add chances of eye injuries and infections that blur a survivors vision on one side of the screen, maybe requires antibiotic cream and an eye patch/bandage around the head covering the eye for a period of time to cure. If untreated can cause blindness and death!

love the foot issues thing... but prolly shouldnt this translate into general health... for example the quality of food determine your immune system and healthy regeneration rates, fullness etc... and the quality of clothing likewise?  I dont know if feet and teeth need their own treatment beyond appropriate footwear, rest, food, etc..

you might dig an idea i put in recently on mental health tho

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/162490-mental-constitution-socialsurvival-mechanic-for-immersion/

Edited by spcmonkey