ianaconda

Bicycle Suggestions/Discussion [Official]

Not trains..... but hand powered railcars where you could rain bullet death down on unsuspecting bambies.....

OT I figured devs would just make bikes similar to the mod. Need 2 tires and some scrap to repair it or something along those lines.

Not trains..... but hand powered railcars where you could rain bullet death down on unsuspecting bambies.....

OT I figured devs would just make bikes similar to the mod. Need 2 tires and some scrap to repair it or something along those lines.

So there are bikes in the mod? Grand so they'll probably end up in the standalone.

Has anyone played the free game Heroes and Generals? Absolutely terrible game, but they have bicycle to go around in and it's really fun. Could definitely be good in Day z and finally get rid of the running simulator thing without having over powered trucks everywhere.

On a side note, and this has probably been said before. But what would you think about some kind of teleport feature where you can quickly get to your friends? The one thing that stops me from playing Dayz is the fact that it takes 40 minutes to meet up with my friends at the start of a session.

Edited by Sebidee

So there are bikes in the mod? Grand so they'll probably end up in the standalone.

Has anyone played the free game Heroes and Generals? Absolutely terrible game, but they have bicycle to go around in and it's really fun. Could definitely be good in Day z and finally get rid of the running simulator thing without having over powered trucks everywhere.

On a side note, and this has probably been said before. But what would you think about some kind of teleport feature where you can quickly get to your friends? The one thing that stops me from playing Dayz is the fact that it takes 40 minutes to meet up with my friends at the start of a session.

-emphasis mine-

-ahem-

NO. It takes about 15 minutes to run flat-out across the map. Learn how to navigate, for one. I can get from Svetlo to the NWAF in 10 minutes without using a map. Use landmarks, compasses, etc.

This thread is fine. To all those who complain about repeats, well, the OP has a point. I check these forums almost everyday and it's not something that comes up that often from my experience.  Give it a rest already, be thankful this forum isn't ANYTHING like the DayZ sub-reddit...THAT place is a cluster fuck of repeat threads non-stop EVERY day.

Anyways, back on topic, yes I am waiting for bicycles to be implemented. To be honest I could really care less about vehicles at this point but bicycles spread out throughout the map would be AWESOME! There should be down sides to bicycles vs vehicles but advantages over running on foot. I think you should grow weak from biking long distances but not near as quickly as running. Plus they should be a bit faster and hopefully plentiful. 

Programming considerations aside I think bicycles will and should be a game changing addition to this fine Alpha.

Just my 2 cents. 

~Arrrghhh... Cpt. Jack Sparrow, signing out...

Hi guys, now that they are implementing vehicles and are talking about introducing penalties for running (since sprinting for 2 hours without getting a heart attack it stupid) do you think it would be a good idea to add in bicycles?.

Where to find them: In all towns and farmhouses. About 2 or so in a town the size of Kamysovo, maybe 8 in Berezino. All bikes are chained to railings or trees with bike locks. You need a hacksaw, pickaxe, fireaxe, woodcutter axe, hammer and chisel or boltcutters to unlock them.

Benefits of bicycle:

• Once it gains momentum it can travel about 1.5 times the speed of sprinting now (I think sprint speed will be reduced anyway).
  • There are no physical penalties, you won't get tired or hurt your feet while riding.
  • They are very easy to find.
  • You don't need petrol or any tools to repair it.

Downsides of bicycle:

• It can only travel at full speed on roads. It will travel a little slower on dirt roads and much slower on grass.
  • Since you can only travel on roads you will unable to keep a low profile and will probably be ambushed.
  • The bike provides no cover from guns.
  • Crashing the bike will cause you to fall off and possibly be injured.
  • You can't use a gun while on it.

Thread cleaned up, merged with offical bicycles/discussion keep it civil kind users of the forums.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 4

I agree that a mountain bike should be added to the game,, immediately, no frills, no repair, just have it double( or triple) our speed on flat land. I think the issue with riding on flat land with no protection is enough balance for now. but something to cross large distance quickly is definitely in need atm. I wouldn't care if it was a place holder or even properly textured. just give us some simple form or transportation for the time being so we can more easily move around.

So the bike speed should be 60 or 90 km/h

A bike, this is what I've wanted since I knew how to play hardly at all. the only thing I absolutely need in game. Have say 2 or 3 varients, 20 inch kids bike, think BMX stlyle, a old classic schwinn, girls bike style with the sissy type bars so you don't bash your man goods, and a like 21 speed style bike, thin tires not very durrable but on a road, fast. 

Now the only requirement I have for these is, they need a bell add on like how guns can add say a silencer or but stock. I want to be able to ride around on a private shard with a old style schwinn and ring the crap out of that bell and attract zombies, since they're attracted to sounds and see how many I can get before I die.

-snip-

NYET!  You will ride proud Soviet Bicycle, not sissy Capitalist Pig Dog bicycle with decadent 'variations'.  You will Take Moskova Blue, Volga Green, Ural Yellow, or Motherland Red, all True Bicycles will have basket mounted on for hauling grain for the Motherland!  Made in same factory that made tanks that destroyed the Fascists!

Seriously though I don't think we'd find much variety in the way of bikes in chenarus, not like you'd find in western Europe or in the US.

• Like 1

If I used any mode of transportation it would be a bicycle. I am and will be a lone wolf so if I travel it is through the woods and needs to be quiet.

Cars equal noise which attracts attention. I'm guessing in final product Dayz they will be extremely rare and therefore make you a prime target for other groups. Also driving into a city will attract zombies within a large radius to your position.

Would love to see bicycles, both single and multi geared. High end bike could be the lightweight Montague folding Para trooper bicycle.

The best bike I have ridden was in Heros and generals. The speed was a tad too quick to be honest.

There are different versions of the mod, but in the original mod you had a bike -sort of- in your pocket and could construct it with 1 scrap metal. I think the idea of it was to give everyone the oportunity to leave the spawn areas quickly; since there weren't that many spawns originally. However the bikes were much too good to be real. They drive 50 or 60 km/h, cost no fuel, make no noise and are easy to repair and hide. I would often just go lonewolf on a bike instead of taking a car. Once you have a camp it's perfect.

The addition of a bike in Dayz SA makes me think of how brilliantly the BMX bikes in GTA work. There are videos of people doing parcours with bikes in GTA that are simply astounding. They even throw their bikes on the back of trucks and drive around town to a better site. These things are pure fun! Of course we won't see parcours or anything like that in Dayz, because the engine doesn't do physics simulation. However, I think the BMX could be a kind of bike that works for Dayz, too. It would be believable to drive it over small obstacles. It doesn't drive very fast and is exhausting (so not meant for long, continuous driving). You make a small moving target, while driving it, but there is no need to stay on the road. Would be kinda awesome, if the bikes made very little impression on the animals, so you could use them to go hunting (as opposed to taking a great big truck and getting out next to the cows, shooting everything before they even realize you are there).

My choice: add an oldskool BMX bike! It doesn't break down often and is ideal for short to medium trips.   

Schienenvelo-Gajic-Dragan-Shutterstock.cdraisine1.jpg

buda-color-500.jpg

Also a bicycle add-on like the following where you can add and remove the bicycle via crafting. Maybe in the first version as non detachable to use at the rails only (if that is easier to implement than a bicycle that can be used anywhere) and later on the frame as separate item to detach the bicycle with a wrench and use the bike all over the map.

55b2f241.jpg