Master_Corruptor

Communities/player controlled towns

I want to air the idea around player controlled towns.

My main thought is that players can conquer the different towns and develop them to a certain degree. When you control a town you can refit some of the houses to be player spawns, a shop maybe or a recruiting hub for guard npcs. And build a simple defense around the town. 

I'm thinking about this because I feel this could bring  some really interesting gameplay with it. Lets say a group of people will head out to conquer a small town or overthrow the current owner of the town. 

The towns would have to be outfitted with some sort of control building or something like that. My first idea goes to flags that have to be captured... But a more appropriate form of capturing a town would have to be implemented. Bigger towns would have more control points or capture zones maybe.

What do you guys in the community think of this?

Would it be fun to be the mayor of a small town and collect rent in the form of food or items. Would it be fun to defend your town against invading players or attack a neighboring town?

• Like 2

I think it is a great idea. Wouldnt want to be mayor though. But the concept is great. Groups of people going out from the city to hunt for suplies. Everyone working together to stay alive. Waring factions, that maybe occured from a split in the original group. 

All i know is that to avoid making the game stale. Something more then just. Avoid/kill zombies/players have to be implemented.

• Like 1

You can secure a town by having the firepower/numbers to defend it.

• Like 2

Things like this totaly works right now (well exept the defense builds and stuff). You just need to go to a town, shoot the zombies down and keep an eye on the main entrances. If you want a shop in your town drop some items on the ground, place some of your friends as guards and trade stuff with other players.

Of course right now there are not the possibilities to fortify a town or something, but I can see stuff like that to be possible in the future.

But things I dont want to see and I'm pretty sure the devs wont do are:

scripted shops,

NPC guards,

player spawns in this towns,

everything else that is scrips related (like grabing a flag to get control of the city)

Edit:

I want to add that people have to keep in mind that DayZ should be your story. The things that happen in DayZ are not scripted like a CoD campaign and thats what makes them so awesome. Controling a whole town without any scripted stuff is what makes it just an epic adventure and Ive seen this kind of things back in the DayZ Mod. Some sandbags and barbed wire, couple of snipers around the town, guards inside. A selfmade shop and even 2 taxis driving though the town. Yes, I experienced all that in DayZ and even if it sometimes ends in a dilemma or because some of your friends have to go to bed... trust me you gonna remember that for a looong time and you gonna even be proud of yourself.

Edited by Symon
  • Like 2

You can secure a town by having the firepower/numbers to defend it.

yes but what would be the benefit of actually holding a town? loot would be gone quickly, and it would only be holdable until the people log out.

I have been wanting this since mod but I don't see any way it can be useful to clear a town and hold it right now, any suggestions?

yes but what would be the benefit of actually holding a town? loot would be gone quickly, and it would only be holdable until the people log out.

I have been wanting this since mod but I don't see any way it can be useful to clear a town and hold it right now, any suggestions?

When storage and vehicles get introduced, I think it will be more tempting to have some sort of home to put it in.

A town would be easier to defend than, say, a clearing in the forest.

More fun too.

It would only be holdable if there was a way to assign npcs to guard duty. that way you combat people logging on and off. As far as benefits, that should be up to the owner of the town. The owner could possibly add rent to allow people to spawn there. People could use the town to sell stuff they brought back from a raid...

I started this topic to get more input on it.

As it is now anyone can effectively hold a place. But there is no way to know if the gang that holds the town logs off. I was thinking of a more distinct way of claiming a town. That's why I talked about a control structure or a flag system of sorts.

You hold a freakin town dude. You have one of the best adventures you can have in a videogame. Try do think outside of any gains or benefits, just think about having fun and doing something not everyone can do. I hate this attitude where you cant just have fun but there allways has to be something you win. Friendship, fun and love mate. Thats what keeps the world alive! :D

• Like 2

It is also a great way to encourage teamwork. Not only between RL friends. But for new people to join as well. 

I would love to see this happen!

It should be noted that this kind of stuff seems apparently easier on private / own hives, for obvious reasons as far as we can tell right now.

Won't loot eventually respawn in later versions anyway? That could be an incentive to hold a town. Would also depend on zombie respawn under normal circumstances however.

From the dev (or modder, later on perhaps if that'll be allowed) POV that stuff can be expanded slightly however. Some more gimmicks or features to "settle in" a bit longer.

I think they wanted to make a system for the loot and the zombies. The more time a place was without any visitors the more loot and zombies will spawn. Towns that are hold by players wouldnt spawn items and zombies. This would make them easier to defend (because no zombies inside) and would also force players to leave the city and loot other towns and go hunting/whatever.

• Like 1

In order to really hold a town they would need some of the base building that Arma 2 had (or at last the Cherno Life mod). I spent many hours building bad ass bases. I fortified Elektro using the base builder. One entrance on each side of town was it. The school was the bank and everyone kept trying to rob it. After my guys left I held off a 3 man team with an APC by myself lol.

If you could wall off a town like that and just stop people as they enter the fun alone would be well worth it.

• Like 2