Sign in to follow this  
Mcc83

Handcar! (Rail Roads)

"A handcar (also known as a pump trolley, pump car, jigger, Kalamazoo,[1] or draisine (powered or unpowered) in many other parts of the world) is a railroad car powered by its passengers, or by people pushing the car from behind. It is mostly used as a maintenance of way or mining car, but it was also used for passenger service in some cases. A typical design consists of an arm, called the walking beam, that pivots, seesaw-like, on a base, which the passengers alternately push down and pull up to move the car." -Wiki

That is what we call a Handcar, currently in the SA the developers have added abandoned/broken down bits of a train across the railroads on the map. Perhaps between these broken parts off of the train, we can add hand  cars. So for example, there is point A, point B,and Point C The railroad goes between all the points but there is wreckage on the railroad at point B, simply take the hand car from point A to point B, jump off, go around the wreckage and head to point C with the handcar in front of point B. Now with this, the cars will never be set up correctly unless someone gets off at point B as the handcar will always be at the far side, if that makes any sense... So you will only be able to use these for a certain amount of distance! Another reason to work together, perhaps we can make it where the handcar takes 2 people to move it, forcing players to work together to get to one location, or maybe 1 person could single handedly do it but it would move extremely slowly. The handcar idea is another way of transportation not being cars or boats. Again this will force you to work with strangers or friends to get to places quickly.An example of a hand car and what it would look like. I am assuming that if added to the game, they would have no durability damage or it would have a high durability, because shooting out a rubber tire and shooting out an iron wheel is much much different. Let me know what you guys think below! 

Thanks! :beans:

post-71097-0-66375200-1388880352_thumb.j

Edited by Mcc83
  • Like 8

Sorry, trying to fix the thread now.

Edit-Fixed the thread!

Edited by Mcc83

Cool idea. Seen it mentioned for the mod before.

Using it in game on the other hand? I'd avoid it. Easy target imo. 

Cool idea. Seen it mentioned for the mod before.

Using it in game on the other hand? I'd avoid it. Easy target imo.

The coast train will ride.

this needs to happen.

kamenka to bere in half the time, provided you make it past the numerous sniper hills. im sold!

thats a great idea. you won't catch me in one unless maybe they were like the ones in the game metro maybe we could build them or something armor them up?

Yes! Possibly smack on some iron steel platers providing protecting but slowing down max speed. Again if your working with a teammate it will work faster. Of course these will mainly be on the coast, so you use them mainly as a fresh spawn that way if you get sniped, the snipers wont get any decent gear, all they get is the satisfaction of killing, which is mainly what they look for... anyways, if you do get sniped you wouldn't lose to much stuff unless your geared up. Its a choice the player should make, risk it or not, if I was geared out, I would just run in the tree line to where I needed to go then get on a hand car, but no gear at all is a completely different story.

I'd say this is a great idea, however a motorised cart would be a much better idea imho. Armour plating would be a must.

The railroad system in chernarus is so vast that it would be a mistake to omit it. such a thing would also add to the experience of post apocalyptic life.

Perhaps even the possibility of an MG on the railcar would make sense. It cant go anywhere but the rails, so it wouldn't be an extreme op like a pickup with an MG.

Railcar.jpg

Saying that, I can't stress enough how incredible it would be if there was a metro system, even a small one.

That would open a whole new world of gameplay.

Edited by Pyrozite

Exactly the point i am trying to make. These would be limited to the railroads and as of now, it looks like cars are going to take forever to repair and helicopters will take even longer if what they say is true, so this would be a great alternative besides boats and bikes. We could also store these in abandoned post-apocalyptic train depots. 

• Like 1

Hey!

I've been thinking about this for ages, and it seems like adding some handcars to the railways could be fun. It would only need 3 or 4 of them in total and player could chose to either use them to get up along the coast or take a joyride around the countryside. The good thing is - since these are railed cars, they are bound to bump with other handcars rather sooner than later. And there will be no escape, so you either talk it out or shoot it out with the guys on the other cars. 

It would be a nice way to get around without the need of having a truck. And it could give some point to the magnificient rail system in the game that, so far, I only use to get my bearings on whereabout I am. These cars should be found at railways stations and will be blocked by natural obstacles (landslides, trains on rails), etc. Perhaps in some cases it could be possible to switch the lanes (with a lever at the rails), in other cases your voyage will end at these obstacles and other players will find the handcart to go back the way you came. 

Here is an image of what I have in mind:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10191409/sheffcar.jpg

(sorry, I can't add it as attachment to my post, because I already uploaded too many images here, apparently...)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Hey!

Merged to the first found of many previous.

I would like to see this added also.

Also moved...

• Like 1

Merged to the first found of many previous.

I would like to see this added also.

Thanks for the merger! I did check the thread that lists all the different suggestions first, but I didn't find any mention of it. Now it is in the right place! I also do think that it would have been bad, were these cars the only way of transportation, but as there are trucks and probably more cars, soon, these hand cars will just be a bit of fun and the risk of taking them can really pay off. After all, I usually try meeting my friends on the coast. And I would be double happy about finding any means of transport that got me there faster. I have a feeling that most people just kill themselves and respawn, in order to get closer to where they want to be, now. 

I'm all for rail handcars + little birds (MH-6) for transport and dogs as companions, the rest I'll leave to the Devs !

Moved for better viewing.

Sounds like a interesting plan, perhaps having to salvage the parts and at the start, you only have a flatbed and the lever mechanism to move it along, but can be extended by adding metal plating and such, by salvaging such items and adding them onto the cart, provided the game engine can actually do that.

Sounds like a interesting plan, perhaps having to salvage the parts and at the start, you only have a flatbed and the lever mechanism to move it along, but can be extended by adding metal plating and such, by salvaging such items and adding them onto the cart, provided the game engine can actually do that.

When I read this the theme from A-team played in my head ^^

Yes, imagine what we could do with a blowtorch and some steel plates! However, I'd be perfectly happy if these cars would just work out of the box, too. There isn't really that much that can break on them, so unless they are dissembled there is no reason why they would be in parts. I guess most people who use these would be fresh spawns, looking for quick transport along the coast. So shooting bambis on railcars should really be frowned on. I do see a use for the armored version in the northern/north-western territories. You could actually make a roadblock there in a couple of places and wait for prey ^^