Sign in to follow this  
Barbosa1955

Goal? What goal?

Goal = The end toward which effort is directed.

Game goal = stay alive.

A shallow and fatal precept of the game (pun not intended). It seems now the game's goal is nothing but:

• A scavenger hunt (effort)
  • To stay alive (end) 
  • In an anarchic scenario
  • For those that suffer sociopathic tendencies at best to psychopathic tendencies at worst which easily allows them to prey on other players and make anything suffer to satiate selfish and sadistic desires they have (ultimate goal).  

So where are the overall goals?

If just staying alive is the goal, I can stay alive for quite some time all by myself in the boonies. But what fun is that?

If joining a good or bad clan to take over various parts of the map, well...that will get old quickly. This game, as it stands now is nothing but a shooter with no controls or goals and with the greatest potential for turf wars.

Is this what the dev's really had in mind?

• Like 4

Well I hope not. I know its an aplher and all but I agree there's a desperate need for the game to offer something more. Many suggestion has been made, from skill trees to post traumatic stress of which none seems to be good enough for players.

I mean I imagine we could do without the usual ''end game'' but we need features to take the game behind the typical gear up and pwn the defenceless.

• Like 1

The game offers nothing to people not willing to look. It's doesn't have to be a physical item.

• Like 3

'Roleplay'-Gamegoal= Stay alive.

Yes, you could do this, but it would be really boring.

So the goal turned into = experience your own adventure.

So, I'm sure you haven't seen everything of the map yet or have done everything one could do.

I think, that with the new ZombieAI and the masses of hordes, there will be a new feature, like killing all the Z's in one area O_O. I hope, that they will drop some usefull supplies in this stage. 

Edited by Khad
  • Like 3

DayZ doesn't have a goal.

There's only your own goal. If your goal is to kill a lot of players, do that. If your goal is to stay alive, do that.

There's only your own goal. If your goal is to kill a lot of players, do that. If your goal is to stay alive, do that.

Right but that obviously depends on what else is there to do right?

The game offers nothing to people not willing to look. It's doesn't have to be a physical item.

Gotta love these riddled half assed replies..honestly, would you mind sharing what exactly YOU are looking for in game? Shooting birds or what?

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

In the future it will be harder to survive and you need to care about your survival all the time. Therefore you wont need any endgame goals because you will never reach any endgame where you have enough of everything and it gets boring. You will just need to wait because it is in alpha and yes that is the excuse that it is too easy right now to get everything you need.

1. Find food/drink (easy)

2. Find a Mosin or M4 + bullets (hard)

3. Find players and try to kill them

4. Restart from 1 if you die or repeat 3 if you survive

This is DayZ, a real survival simulator!

• Like 2

Well,
First off: I'm happy as it is developing. I don't really need an endgame. I'm just trying to engage players, help them with some meds or beans
and kill a zed or two. But that's me.
An endgame would usually include factions and the ultimate goal would be something as; cure the disease.
Which, in turn, would end the game.
Endgame? Set yourself a goal. I, for one, am waiting for the vehicle releases and start an ambulance service. 
Mad action? No. Good interaction? Yes.

• Like 2

Well,

First off: I'm happy as it is developing. I don't really need an endgame. I'm just trying to engage players, help them with some meds or beans

and kill a zed or two. But that's me.

An endgame would usually include factions and the ultimate goal would be something as; cure the disease.

Which, in turn, would end the game.

Endgame? Set yourself a goal. I, for one, am waiting for the vehicle releases and start an ambulance service. 

Mad action? No. Good interaction? Yes.

post-25367-give-that-man-a-cookie-meme-P

Edit: some beans would be ok too, I guess.

Edited by Symon
  • Like 1

Go, to the ship.

There's a good chance you'll die by fall.

But it is pretty cool anyway.

Some decent replies here...thanks.

I guess my goal now is to wait a couple of weeks to see if they fix the broken chain link respawn without all my gear. Happened twice in an hour today and twice more yesterday.

Still, if all we have to look forward to is to respawn numerous times because we have been killed by numerous means and numerous times.....I really don't think this is a game for me. I can watch my puppy chase her tail around and around...pretty much like this game.

Gotta love these riddled half assed replies..honestly, would you mind sharing what exactly YOU are looking for in game? Shooting birds or what?

Seems a couple have read between the lines...it obviously is nothing for the narrow minded people since they don't get behind the meaning of this sentence. This is the translated meaning for dumb people: No matter what choices the game offers them they will always resort to one thing ---> KoS.

Colonel-Wicked, on 05 Jan 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:Colonel-Wicked, on 05 Jan 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

First of all that "riddled half assed reply" was actually some very wise words spoken. If you cannot fathom this then perhaps this isn't the game for you. I hear there are games for your want of action, they are called Arena-Style shooters (I think you know the game/s I'm thinking of). DayZ is a Horror Survival game that evolved from a Mil-Sim game. DayZ standalone is in ALPHA. You should have known this when you bought it. You, like many others on the forums, want changes implemented when there are many more high priority things being fixed at the moment by the devs.

["I want an endgame" "There's nothing to do" etc] [The amount of times I have to send this to someone posting in suggestions]

Have some patience. Go play the Mod or something else for a while. Keep up to date on the devblogs and wait for a patch that suits you. Rocket and the team are going as fast as they can. Posting on the forums asking for updates will not get you very far. I'm sorry if its frustrating for you but the game will exponentially get better. Once the major kinks are ironed out things you want may be implemented.

Also to Barbosa1955 you said "Is this what the devs really had in mind?" For Alpha? Yes.

Is the game finished? No. Not by a long shot.

Lastly to Colonel_Wicked, if you just go through the "typical gear up" to "pwn the defenceless" then that is very sad. :(

My two cents..

Sobaka

TYS

Edited by TYS
  • Like 4

|

|

|

v

There's only your own goal.

To put it simply: Be creative. DayZ has taken a very interesting turn in not providing a specific structure for you to follow, aside from basic survival and acquisition of defensive gear. Most games will tell you what you're meant to do. DayZ tells you to work it out yourself.

Personally, I like this. Speaking in music terms, most games are presented as a completed song, with little means for improvisation or creative addition to the content. DayZ, on the other hand, is an instrument - you have everything you need to make whatever music you desire, if you only have the imagination to use it properly.

• Like 1

What goal?

The soccer goal.

but srs. DayZ prides itself as being what a sandbox SHOULD be. No ending, no real story, do nearly anything you want, and bond with your character as he "levels up" with new gearsies. And then you get murdered by a ladder and do it again.

qq

EDIT- I suggest the devs add an ANIMATION when the ladder glitches and you fall. The ladder would fall over, crushing you. The bug is so prevalent, it's like the Outhouse from the mod. This is actually serious. It'd be hilarious climbing away from a bandit only to have him fall over and die on the latter.

dooet nao

Edited by The Aquatic Land Walrus
  • Like 2

Personally I am playing the game at the mo, but I'm not giving alot of time to it because I see that it has too many features missing. I don't mind this, I knew it was an alpha and I knew I'd have to wait a while more, but I just like seeing the game as it develops and that I contributed from the get go.   I'll be playing it more in future when they sort out server issues as well as getting vehicles into the game. I'm hoping it will develop into a game I like, it may not. But I think Barbarosa1955 you're judging the game essentially at the moment as a skeleton with a few signposts of things to come. It's not broken or anything else others have been saying. What it is, is unfinished.  

• Like 1

If you'd like more to do play the mods, plus arma 2 and OA are great games with tons of other mods. This is Alpha, its a fragile shell of what is to become. Honestly though I think you're completely missing the point of DayZ. DayZ is what you make of it, your own adventure, your own stories and your own choices. Who will you become in a land with no civilization that's full of death? Player interactions is what makes the mod and SA so thrilling, you just spent 3 hours  traveling 1000's of km through towns and forests collecting beans.. Guns.. Gear.. Now you leave a house and to your surprise there are 3 guys running towards you 200m away, what do you do?

• Like 1