Sign in to follow this  
Ken Bean

[Suggestion] Keep em separated

Hey peeps,

since I had a short break lately - not telling anything but I think it's save to say that some variations of tart accidentaly have been incorrectly used - I had some time to think about the subjects of major importance which frequently has been discussed on this lovely forums.

The most important subjects that frequently come accross are:

1) There's a saying that some individuals use to kill everyone they randomly met for pure enjoyment, just like they would play Battlefield.

2) There are groups being reported that consequently hunt down freshspawns also for said enjoyment. One may assume that this has to do with the size of the map. The map is bigger than in Battlefield, so having an encounter is very unlikely, except they camp on known spawn points.

All kind of playstiles are allowed by the game and in this topic I'm not going to question it, nor intending to ban something.

One may say, spawncamper should be punished, another may say that if you frequently get killed in early game, you are doing sth wrong.

Anyway, there seems to be varied interprations of the game, mainly:

1) DayZ = survival game, survivers are supposed to survive, to fight the hostile environment and maybe even to work together for higher goals, like building a base or like rapairing helicopter. (PvE)

2) DayZ = more or less a death match, focusing on player versus player, main goal is to dominate another player and to destroy or take everything a survivor achieved, including that shiny helicopter. (PvP)

For your interest, I used to be in group 1) mainly doing PvE, only shoot in selfdefence, but I couldn't care less as long as that PvP folks uses to hang around the coast lines. I try not to be there or to encounter them so please feel free to do whatever you want.

Problem rises when both groups meet together.

Group PvP tends to be way more aggressive, so group PvE is in the disadvantage.

Problem:

The more endgame you give PvE focused folks, the more PvP folks will dominate them.

Why? Buildings, vehicles, stashes, helis etc. need some serious amount of time to be build, repaired, found together and so on. Now the work to destroy all that is nothing compared with the time it took to create. This by time frustrates PvE player. I just can speak of me, but I in fact stopped to use tents, cars, helis in the mod. Instead I started to live out of the backpack. Tents only are good for resting - otherwhise they get robbed and/or destroyed anyway.

Of cause, I still appreciate the efford of the Stand Alone team to create game depth and endgame content. But I don't see that working very well, since the map is way too small. You wont be able to hide your car/heli/base/tent or whatever. Everything will get stolen or destroyed with ease. And once there are 100 survivor on a server... well... kiss your goods goodby.

Now how do we get both together?

Here on the forums I lately spotet a map, which showed me that the current map of Chernarus only is a minor part of a way bigger country.

ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

So here comes the suggestion:

- make the current Chernarus map to an "entry level", level 1

- if a survivor manages to survive 100 ingame hours (alternatively: and having killed less than 5 unarmed freshspawns who were less than half an hour old), the survivor is allowed to proceede to level two, which basically is the whole map above

- the survivor in level 2 starts at the area of level one, but his character is wiped out from level 1

- the survivor can go back to level 1 if he dies, but if he does so, his character on level 2 is wiped out and he will need to survive 100 ingame hours again in order to advance to level 2 once more

----

Why?

----

For PvP player such a huge map is a pain. There is a reason why Battlefield maps are just very small compared to Chernarus. There is a reason why PvP player camp Cherno, Airfields, Electro, Balota etc.

For PvE player on the other hand the current map is way too small, there's too less room to successfuly hide something. Of cause there will be PvP in the larger map as well. In fact bandits there even have enough room for building large communities, as well as survivors. Bigger cities could be battlefields as well... Now then, what's the difference? - The overall mentality. Those who already survived 100 ingame hours proofed that they actually can survive and even tried it.

So what do you think?

Should the playerbase being separated like this or would it be enough to give them both the whole map - provided such a huge map would be even be possible.

Such a level system also could be combined with a difficulty setting, rising the difficulty on the larger map.

Thanks for giving a thought.

Edited by Ken Bean

Nah that would make the game way too much of a level based MMORPG.

Besides the few times I died and respawned I never encountered a so called bandit, unless I went to danger zones myself, became careless or took too much time looting.

That makes DayZ is that PvE and PvP players join on the same servers, this means you can never know what motivates the players you meet in Chernarus.

The problem is you assume there are just 2 kinds of people and you make assumptions about what they want. How about the people who want PvE, but are quite paranoid because of high-value loot they carry? How about griefers? How about roleplayers?

And playing 100 hours before starting the 'real' game is redicilous. If you are interested in some other games as well, work and don't play games every waking hour you are free, 100 hours of gameplay is incredible large.

Also, what do you think bandits (not griefers, legitimate bandits) will do when they want something, which is available on a server that is also relatively low on hostility? They own the place. The game has to be in balance in that regard. Read around the forums how many people entered "no KoS" servers and where killed. Why? Because those servers are the best places to be a bandit.

Edited by Liquidje

I've always just assumed that if you're on the coast, you're in a pvp zone. If you're by a town, city, airfield or any other place that has a chance at loot, you're in a pvp zone.

If you're in the middle of a forest with nothing around and not between any towns then you're in a pve zone...maybe. It's served me well in the mod where I was alone with nothing but a hatchet (I don't PvP) and some matches.

To me, that makes more sense that adding a whole other section to the playable area. Also, now that I'm  with friends instead of by myself, I can see that being a huge pain in the ass to link up with new or respawning players. Surely you're not suggesting that the group has to wait 100 hours to form back up and move into this other major area?

If two levels or more make sense is open to disussion, also how long it takes to advance to "level 2" (we as well could talk about 99 ingame hours ;-)) but it could also be a huge motivation since one realy could advance by surviving time. But not the player is advancing, the environment does. Think about the possabilities!

Also PvP player dont need that much of environment. :P

Edited by Ken Bean

I disagree on everything, except the bigger map. We need more areas to hide at when we get 100+ people servers. Even if they're just forests and valleys.

If you don't want PvPers/griefers/thieves to ruin you when you lack the ability to protect what you believe is yours, just join a private server in which random PvP/Griefing/theft is disabled or bannable. I'm sure one of them will pop up eventually if it does not already exist, but I'm not sure how popular it will be. (I can see people getting banned from these servers for looting houses/cities that other people have "claimed".)

Same thing goes for spawncamping. If you can't handle it, go join a private server that does something to enforce that this does not happen.

Edited by MystoganXIX

I don't see problems in this, if in DayZ would be represented Single-player and Coop- playing possibilities (with 3rd view and and so on.. what they want.. features) and separately true massive multiplayer game with true 1st person view gameplay and one hive.

Agree about the larger map, disagree about the imposed area limitation based on time survived.

Personally I doubt I'll be building bases and all that jazz - although this is a pve element, it sounds more like what the larger pvp clans will end up doing as somewhere for them to restock after regularly dying and somewhere store their precious loot stolen from their successes.

Why doesnt your PvE group find, befriend, and work together with a good PvP group, and form a community that can specialize in labor.

But why not? Wouldn't it be logical for a survival game that the survival time would make or break them?

You also have an amazing end game motivation: Larger map, more environment, more space to practice surviving and roleplaying, more things to discover.

There is PvP folks, which never came out of Electro or Cherno or which is not interested in surviving at all. Why should they have such a huge map to play with, with all that annoying walking stuff and so on?

I see it as an additional approach to motivate surviving. - Which the game is lacking atm.

Maybe one of the PvP spawn camper then realize that he's not the king of dayz and may instead try to survive. If he does, he is welcome on level two: the survivors hub.

Edited by Ken Bean

No.

Go play World of Warcraft, stop trying to ruin DayZ.

How could it ruin dayz? It doesn't ban any playstile, only rewards surviving time.

Also it matches DayZs "this is your story" theme.

... and after xy days, I finally left my beloved home and proceeded deeper into the country...

Edited by Ken Bean

I don't see problems in this, if in DayZ would be represented Single-player and Coop- playing possibilities (with 3rd view and and so on.. what they want.. features) and separately true massive multiplayer game with true 1st person view gameplay and one hive.

This 1st person only approach could be a theme of "level 3". You wont just get anything you need without "working for", I mean surviving.

Motivation is the key.

Edited by Ken Bean