Sign in to follow this  
CyberVillain (DayZ)

System to Punish KoS

Bandit skin didn't solved ANY problems with KoS. This broken mechanic escalated problem even more because DayZ have very low TTK so usually the guy who won fire-fight received bandit skin and after that all ppl just KoS you because you had it.

Tbh I don't understand you. Playing as a hero is a challenge. Most of zombie apocalypse scenarios have more hostile ppl than friendly ones that's why it's so thrilling and people who can do simple good act to others are so awesome. It's not because of game mechanics it's how human mentality works.

Often after I gear up I'm walking around coast trying to learn new players how tu survive. Ppl don't even know how to play friendly. Most of them are ready to run straight to armed group yelling friendly without second thought.

Why we have to add some broken mechanics only to please players that have no idea how to play this game and have completely no idea about zombie survival universe. They are usually the ones who die first in all movies :P.

So once again I will say that NO for broken barriers in PvP instead add more things to do so players will treat PvP as an addition to a game not the main purpose.

BTW "Baditry (aka KoS-bandits) = kill you as soon as they spot you, you loose everything, they gain everything."

You loose most of loot from the body playing this way also the guy you try to shoot can get away and have more friends hiding around.

Thanks for giving them the "L2P" card.

The bandit skin wasn't the problem the problem was obviously that the whole karma system didn't work in fire-fights.

The bandit skin was brilliant when it was needed. As it is now since no other system is here to help those who dont KoS.

And oh, I've not been killed in..... I dunno how long, had a 300+ days character on the mod before I got bored, and haven't been KoSed yet in the SA.

Doesn't change the fact that KoS IS a problem and the only ones who dont see it is those that thinks it MUST be there.

Yes, I'm not saying that we need to remove it, but KoS is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE EASY WAY. Which it is. Yes you may loose some loot from whoever you murder, unless you dont KoS, which then takes whoever is reading this out of the calculation.

Best way to avoid damage to the loot is to aim for the head. It works ;)

it is nothing more than player behaviour that makes DayZ anything it is perceived to be at any time.

Player behavior limited/enhanced by the mechanics that is. I see no point in discouraging people from discussing game mechanics and changes to these, around subjects that is obviously on many players’ minds.

I am all for a balanced game, where there is an incentive in all play styles, whether it is being and aggressive bandit, an altruistic medic or a crafter care bear who just want to get along by crafting…say arrows, and sell them for food and water. Right now these play styles are not balanced, and there is few incentives in other than being a bandit.  

Well, there is only one way to directly affect the perceived level of killing on sight, which by the way is not a problem in DayZ, as it is a game that has been intentionally set up to have this many guns in it.

Completely change the arms race amount of firearms in the game.  THAT is why DayZ can be such a deathmatch ... it is overflowing with guns!

Killing on sight simply cannot happen unless in possession of a gun.  If there are hardly any guns, and I mean rare as hell, then it will simply cease to be an endemic habit.

However, all the time there are more guns than can openers, they will be used.  Player mentality will never be changed.  It is a GAME with GUNS and OTHER PLAYERS.

People will shoot everything that moves for nothing more than shits and giggles, because that is how they entertain themselves and have paid good money to be able to do so ... in what has become a time honoured habit in games full of guns over the last twenty years.

It never ceases to amuse me how so many people cry on about being shot in a game overflowing with guns, but they would rant and bleat against their removal ... the only effective solution.

They are often the ones who try to claim that reducing the amount of guns would not work ... oh yes it bloody would, hardly anyone would get shot with hardly any guns!

As for running up to someone and bashing them to death with a table leg, or a pipe wrench, that is not killing on sight.  That is deliberate, fraught with risk and up-close personal.

No more hiding in a bush on a hill and picking off matchstick sized pixel blobs from several hundred metres in safety.

People want a REAL solution to the DayZ deathmatch arms race?  Convince Rocket and team to change the nature of the game by removing most of the guns.

Want lots of guns in the game?  Accept the consequences of them being there.

Edited by RN_Max
  • Like 1

Thanks for giving them the "L2P" card.

The bandit skin wasn't the problem the problem was obviously that the whole karma system didn't work in fire-fights.

The bandit skin was brilliant when it was needed. As it is now since no other system is here to help those who dont KoS.

And oh, I've not been killed in..... I dunno how long, had a 300+ days character on the mod before I got bored, and haven't been KoSed yet in the SA.

Doesn't change the fact that KoS IS a problem and the only ones who dont see it is those that thinks it MUST be there.

Yes, I'm not saying that we need to remove it, but KoS is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE EASY WAY. Which it is. Yes you may loose some loot from whoever you murder, unless you dont KoS, which then takes whoever is reading this out of the calculation.

So basically you say "hey lets put bandit skins but I have no idea how to make them work properly instead of punishing players that try to defend them self" BTW how it's going to work with current gear system?

Lots of players started also to kill fresh spawns only to get those "kool" bandit skins.

About the L2P card that's how good games work you have to learn to become better unless we want to follow the path of WoW where not standing in fire is considered as to hard for people.

This is a tricky topic for DayZ, personally I'll not buy into SA until there is a solution in place because its out of balance and unrealistic imho. The whole zombie thing just become meaningless once you're past the first learning curve stages.

I think the problem is simply that zombies pose no real threat to experienced or well armed players.

All the time the game is full of guns ... expect to be shot.  Say goodbye to most of the guns ... say goodbye to most of the shooting.

This is a tricky topic for DayZ, personally I'll not buy into SA until there is a solution in place because its out of balance and unrealistic imho. The whole zombie thing just become meaningless once you're past the first learning curve stages.

I think the problem is simply that zombies pose no real threat to experienced or well armed players.

Very true. 

It'll be interesting to see if limiting server hopping and combatloging will have an effect on the murder frequency. Adding more meaningful things to do ingame than picking of Bambis at the beach could also have an impact.

Well, there is only one way to directly affect the perceived level of killing on sight, which by the way is not a problem in DayZ, as it is a game that has been intentionally set up to have this many guns in it.

Completely change the arms race amount of firearms in the game.  THAT is why DayZ can be such a deathmatch ... it is overflowing with guns!

Killing on sight simply cannot happen unless in possession of a gun.  If there are hardly any guns, and I mean rare as hell, then it will simply cease to be an endemic habit.

However, all the time there are more guns than can openers, they will be used.  Player mentality will never be changed.  It is a GAME with GUNS and OTHER PLAYERS.

People will shoot everything that moves for nothing more than shits and giggles, because that is how they entertain themselves and have paid good money to be able to do so ... in what has become a time honoured habit in games full of guns over the last twenty years.

It never ceases to amuse me how so many people cry on about being shot in a game overflowing with guns, but they would rant and bleat against their removal ... the only effective solution.

They are often the ones who try to claim that reducing the amount of guns would not work ... oh yes it bloody would, hardly anyone would get shot with hardly any guns!

As for running up to someone and bashing them to death with a table leg, or a pipe wrench, that is not killing on sight.  That is deliberate, fraught with risk and up-close personal.

No more hiding in a bush on a hill and picking off matchstick sized pixel blobs from several hundred metres in safety.

People want a REAL solution to the DayZ deathmatch arms race?  Convince Rocket and team to change the nature of the game by removing most of the guns.

Want lots of guns in the game?  Accept the consequences of them being there.

excellent suggestions!

So basically you say "hey lets put bandit skins but I have no idea how to make them work properly instead of punishing players that try to defend them self" BTW how it's going to work with current gear system?

Lots of players started also to kill fresh spawns only to get those "kool" bandit skins.

About the L2P card that's how good games work you have to learn to become better unless we want to follow the path of WoW where not standing in fire is considered as to hard for people.

I do not know. But a way to identify bandits is needed at this current state of the game.

No it is not. Calling people stupid aka "L2P" is stupid. And wont bring anything other than insults.

Keep in mind we will most likely see firearm spawns balanced as the game nears release.

You see a lot of weapons now because they want them tested, and the bugs reported.

That's why we just saw a reduction by 50% in M4 spawns, yet you can find 3 .357 Magnums in the same location.

Next will be a shotgun or shotguns.  You'll see the .357 spawns taper off, and you'll find a shotgun in every closet. 

I guarantee it's for testing purposes.  And they'll most likely greatly reduce the weapon spawns as time goes on.

• Like 2

Keep in mind we will most likely see firearm spawns balanced as the game nears release.

You see a lot of weapons now because they want them tested, and the bugs reported.

That's why we just saw a reduction by 50% in M4 spawns, yet you can find 3 .357 Magnums in the same location.

Next will be a shotgun or shotguns.  You'll see the .357 spawns taper off, and you'll find a shotgun in every closet. 

I guarantee it's for testing purposes.  And they'll most likely greatly reduce the weapon spawns as time goes on.

Yes, it is guaranteed to be for testing purposes.

But to make the experience enjoyable for everyone, they should be some way to identify bandits at this time.

But I cant see that happen to be honest. (Waiting for "IT'S ALPHA" screamers)

Yes, it is guaranteed to be for testing purposes.

But to make the experience enjoyable for everyone, they should be some way to identify bandits at this time.

But I cant see that happen to be honest. (Waiting for "IT'S ALPHA" screamers)

And how would you suggest the game identify bandits?  Other than they're pointing a gun at you.

I am not for or against KOS here, but I do think we should have a system that makes people think twice before KoS. Robbing is more fun anyway right? 

I would like if the loot get ruined by KoS, the % of damage is linear to the power of the weapon used. For instance if you use a Mosin or M4 the chance of damaged loot is very high. A axe not so much

It's not for you to decide what is fun for other players. I can assure you, that if there would be a real-life apocalypse, many people would end up KoSed. But this is a game and fortunately... you can all hit the respawn button and enjoy the game.

• Like 1

It just irks me when people say we need a way to identify bandits.  

No we don't.  Not even a little bit.  That would take away one of the largest aspects of this game.  Putting some sort of godmarker on bandits is ridiculous.  Deception is a large part of this game also.  So if someone wants to trick you, they would be most likely unable due to their "Godmark".

It's just a stupid idea.  Learn to survive better.

Going after military areas is always going to be risky.  Period.  It's risk vs reward.

Trying to artificially brand bandits in any way goes against what I believe is the core principle of this game.

I'm not saying that we should add a specifik skin for them, but something that can let you get a clue that they're bandits, without it meaning that you're already dead.

Like the old suggestion to have some kind of heartbeat depending on how many players someone have murdered or something like that.

As it is now it is like this:

Banditry = LOW RISK / HIGH REWARD

Survivor = HIGH RISK / LOW REWARD - MEDIUM REWARD

And no, I'm not counting freshspawns into this.

I'm not saying that we should add a specifik skin for them, but something that can let you get a clue that they're bandits, without it meaning that you're already dead.

Like the old suggestion to have some kind of heartbeat depending on how many players someone have murdered or something like that.

And no, I'm not counting freshspawns into this.

No way.  By no means should we try to identify bandits.

If you want to ID a bandit, get the drop on him and force him to submit.  Cuff him, and go through his inventory.

Is he carrying rotten food?  Handcuffs?  Anything that would make you suspect he's a bandit?

Even after all that, it's still a guess.  My buddy downed a guy that killed me, and he had 3 pairs of handcuffs in his pack.  We assumed he was a bandit.  But dead men can't talk, so at best it's just an assumption.

There should be no other way to identify a bandit, unless you witness him killing someone on sight.

Anything else is completely against what this game is supposed to me, in my opinion.

Looks good on paper, but it's basically BS. What's the "high reward" for being a Bandit, exactly? More of the stuff that I already have too much of? 45 minutes in game and my inventory is full. There's no more "reward" to be had from dead people except the joy of seeing them die.

As for "low risk," again. Bunk. By constantly engaging in violent action and confrontation, Bandits put themselves in constant danger of retaliation - especially when players travel in pairs and groups.

High reward VS low risk is kinda obvious.

You sit in a "safe" spot somewhere and wait for prey, kill them as soon as you see them, you get their stuff.

I sure do hope that they add a way so that bandits can be identify before they shoot you in the face.

That if anything is a flawed system when the people who dont murder everyone they see like a deathmatch game, gets all the disadvantages.

And oh, as I said before, this is a short term solution.

Edited by DaveAzoicer

All the time the game is full of guns ... expect to be shot.  Say goodbye to most of the guns ... say goodbye to most of the shooting.

You aren't serious, right?