Heeeere's johnny!

Suggestions for the defibrillator

Hi there,

somebody just had an idea I liked, so I thought, I'd post it here and watch the reactions.

Since the use of the defibrillator does not seem to be very clear already, I'd like it if you were able to reanimate a player with a defibrilator when he is dead.

Of course this wouldn't be very senseful to try on a player who's just been riddled with bullets, but in my eyes, this would encourage teamplay if it was possible to bring someone back to life who recently bleed out or froze to death (unlikely on Chernarus, but who knows...). Especially after firefights between teams, it would not automatically mean that if a member was shoot, the whole team would have to wait for him to run all the way back.

At the moment, I cannot imagine another senseful use of the defibrillator, but other suggestions, comments, critics and arguments are welcome! :)

Regards,

Johnny

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny
  • Like 4

I would be ok with defibrilator reanimation even after getting shot, but obviously not in the head or when being shot many times.

There surely must be a good use for defibrilator.

Also if you defib healthy player, this should have a chance of killing him, so you could use it as a torture device.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

Torture? Well, seems kinda "logical" in medical terms, but why would you torture a player (character) in DayZ?

If you want his gear - restrain and loot him - gotcha.

If you want his group or camp - torture him? Why would he be willing to answer?

Dead is dead.  A defib really just tries to jump start a heart to get it beating again, really only useful for cardiac arrest (meaning the heart stops beating for whatever reason).  A hole in your lung/heart/head can't be cured by a bit of electricity.  There's a reason why Medics in real life don't just go around with Defibs reviving dead people.  It should be able to shock people that are dying or unconscious back to consciousness.

• Like 1

Torture? Well, seems kinda "logical" in medical terms, but why would you torture a player (character) in DayZ?

Well why people restrain and force feed desinfectant & rotten fruits to other people?

The could just shoot or melee them to death right?

Plus, as you say, it is kinda realistic, that shocking healthy person would harm them, so why not to add this?

It is not like you would be force to do it, it is a matter of choice and morals.

Plus they need to add proper sound of defib....bzzzzz VZUM :D.

Edited by Hombre

Yes. You should be able to kill or at least make a healthy guy go unconscious with defibrillator...and then bring him back to life for another zap. Also, could someone tell me what use defib has in DayZ at the moment? Is it just a bigger version of epi-pen?

It work like epi-pen but you can reuse it as many time as you have batteries.

As for the suggestion, I disagree, let that mechanism for Battlefield 3/4.

I don't want to see someone being shot to death multiple times in his journey and getting revive each time by his mate hidden somewhere.

Imagine that you have to kill an entire squad twice because you didn't caught the guy carrying the defib in your first encounter.

Edited by Isamu7
  • Like 2

Yeah a defibrillator only works on shockable rhythms - usually ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation (where the heart contracts like a bag of worms and no longer works as an effective pump). It will not restart a heart (asystole) or fix pulseless electrical activity (PEA). I'm aware that this is a game, but to the whole 'restart the heart' thing isn't authentic. The defibrillator shouldn't be a resurrection machine in my opinion but should be part of a more considered medical system.

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 1

I actually like this. As long as the person who died doesn't click 'respawn' and remains at the "You are dead." screen, I'd love for that to be implemented.

But as soon as that player comes to live he should be at critically low blood and should need to be bandaged right away (like.. within 30 seconds). He will also be in terrible pain so he will need painkillers or morphine as well. Basically make it so it's not like when they are defribb'd they can just jump back into the action or anything.

I like it.

EDIT - the whole realism thing (like the poster above me said) does kind of ruin it though. In the end it's a 'take it or leave it' sort of thing for me. 

Edited by serenityrick

I think a good way to reduce the chain resurrection battlefield franchise effect would be to attempt to simulate using one a bit more, on a player death there should be a percent chance roll to determine if the defibrillator even can shock the patient/target(AEDs inform the user if a rhythm is shockable before charging up) , Then there should be only a 33% chance that the shock will work, meaning multiple shock attempts might be needed. Now imagine doing all that under fire, and we get back in line with the stress levels dayz should offer.... Now if only we could add CPR and precordial thumps too :) .

Don't really think the CPR is necessary... I guess I just don't feel like watching some big nasty guy breath into me and then beat my character in the hopes that I wake up. (Note: Toothbrush/paste and hygiene do not exist in DayZ, so this guy or woman is pretty nasty)

I wouldn't be against the defib reviving players nomatter what, just as long as they're pretty much on the verge of death afterwards and they're unable to do much for the next 5-10mins.

If I shoot some guy in Balota, I don't want his buddy using a defib allowing him to pop up and shoot me. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind much if his buddy killed me afterwards, then defibs and spends the next 10 mins protecting his friend while he recovers.

CPR has a pretty poor success rate but for trauma it's a often a better bet than defibrillation anyway - anything that keeps some blood pumping to the vital organs buys you time to fix holes and restore volume.

I just want to be able to defrib people who are alive to kill or injure them. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain

Because it is necessary to depopulate the coast.  It is a better experience for the victim if we torture them rather than just shoot them in the head.  You can give them bad blood, bad fruit, disinfectant.  All things good!

How is you defibbing my dead body going to save me when I was riddled with 10 rounds of bullets and lost all my blood?

Be able to spill lots of water on the ground and use the defib at the right moment to stun/kill prey.

Can you give a dead body blood?

Wouldn't it make sense for a guy that has died because of blood loss to get that uncontrollable beating of heart trying to get blood & oxygen back to the brain?

But you could sneak in, get one guy putting in the blood while the other guy charges his defibs?

CPR for people that are sick & unconscious, they may risk choking on vomit so put them on their side.

if somebody chokes/ drowns you can use the CPR mouth to mouth & chest compressions.

Because it is necessary to depopulate the coast.  It is a better experience for the victim if we torture them rather than just shoot them in the head.  You can give them bad blood, bad fruit, disinfectant.  All things good!

Oh my, you are truly member of dayz hero Medical division :-D.

But yeah, defib unit should work for torture for sure!

Hey my basical thought when I had this idea was, that it would be a TEAMPLAY feature so no matter how unrealistic, you can bring a dead (maybe shot) person back but with critical low blood and pain and all the other nice features Rocked build in.. so when you would get shot another time an instance later you are simply dead so its no Battlefield 3/4 style! By the way i think it was possible in battlefield 2 too  :P...

If somone laggs to death beacause he fell from a 10 feet hight you wont be simply dead and spawns in the middle of nowhere.. you could have much more fun.. And when you are attacked you cant just hide in a corner and revive your made as often as you want.. you have to kill the bandit and clear the area before doing this.. maby there could be a maximum time like 1 minute for reviving?

Edited by dadod2

No. 1: I don't get what you mean by "depopulate the coast".

No. 2: Does not sound very "hero Societic".

How is you defibbing my dead body going to save me when I was riddled with 10 rounds of bullets and lost all my blood?

As I already mentioned in my first post:

"Of course this wouldn't be very senseful to try on a player who's just been riddled with bullets."

But if somebody is wounded and bleeds out, why not do some heart massage, stop the bleeding, give a blood bag and at the end, some defib shock? Sounds wierd and probably "unrealistic", but why not give away a slight bit of realism for a big influence in game- and teamplay?

Dean Hall himself said: "We cannot make it realistic, but we can make it authentic."

Be able to spill lots of water on the ground and use the defib at the right moment to stun/kill prey.

This sort of abuse would probably be the most senseful thing to do with the defib! :thumbsup:

In my eyes, building bombs and traps is probably the most senseful thing to do with stuff that does not seem to make any sense the way it's supposed to be used.

Can you give a dead body blood?

Wouldn't it make sense for a guy that has died because of blood loss to get that uncontrollable beating of heart trying to get blood & oxygen back to the brain?

To speak in "realistic terms", dead is not absolutely dead. It depends on the circumstances.

Headshot, riddled with bullets, burned etc. - no chance to revive anything - agreed.

But even a person who choked or drowned can be revived, because the brain is not unreversebly dead when the body is dead. If you get the heart pumping and the lungs filled with air (after you got the water out somehow) so the brain has oxygen again, you can get this person back to life, though unconscious.

Of course, this BF style of reviving is absolute rediculess bullshit (especially because the "dead" player is obviously alive enough to lift his hand before being "absolutely dead").

But I think, dadod2 has a good thought concerning the way under which conditions somebody should be "back in life".

If somebody is poisoned or very low on blood, there may be a need for a defib, because this can make your heart "go nuts". But what we see in this discussion is that the proper use of a defib is way more complicated than it seems in the first thought. There would have to be a complex system of what will happen when you defib somebody under the most different (and rediculess) cicumstances. This is probably a reason, why a use/abuse like Wisper mentioned it, would be the most "senseful" with that thing.

It work like epi-pen but you can reuse it as many time as you have batteries.

As for the suggestion, I disagree, let that mechanism for Battlefield 3/4.

I don't want to see someone being shot to death multiple times in his journey and getting revive each time by his mate hidden somewhere.

Imagine that you have to kill an entire squad twice because you didn't caught the guy carrying the defib in your first encounter.

Perfect exemple of how exploitable reviving defib could be.

Now imagine that every players in squad has farmed defib. gg.

Shock people with it....OMG YES! carnt find an axe? no fire extinguisher around? no problem, go hospital grab a defib and sneak up an a sniper on electro hill :)

I just want to be able to defrib people who are alive to kill or injure them. 

You can already do it.

One guy attacked me with defib and made me bleed.

if you had a headshot and become revived it would be funny if a zombie spawns instead :P

• Like 2

Shock people with it....OMG YES! carnt find an axe? no fire extinguisher around? no problem, go hospital grab a defib and sneak up an a sniper on electro hill :)

Electro hill - bah dumm dshhhh! ;)