franzuu

Make 1st person less clunky - remove mouse acceleration, deceleration, smoothing.

Currently in DayZ when you move your mouse slowly it translates to fast movement on the screen but when you move your mouse fast or jerk it around it actually translates to slower panning than if you had made the same movement slowly.

This isn't mouse smoothing which can be turned off. Rocket said that this is because of the way they do different weapon handling stuff (CQB stock VS regular). I have proposed a change to this in a previous thread I made which I'll paste here but I'm going to expand on it.

From the previous thread http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157752-proposed-changes-to-weapon-handling-debuffs-accuracy-tradeoffs-etc/#entry1580659

• 2. Remove mouse smoothing handling debuffs from longer weapons and add back weapon collision (CQB stock vs standard on the M4 for example)

instead

2a Add back weapon collision into the game. A longer rifle, an attached bayonet, stock, short stock, no stock, folded stock etc, it all changes how well you can maneuver in tight spaces.

2b Add inertia to swinging around your weapon. A weapon that has more attachments near the end is front heavier. Shortening the stock and removing attachments from the front (flashlight, bayonet) makes the gun easier to handle. Its shorter and less front heavy. Making the back end more heavy can make it easier to handle but adds other problem, but is still part of the equation.

A front heavy guns' muzzle will lag behind on a fast swing and overshoot its target when the person stops at it. This would add an element of skill to the game. An experienced player will be able to fight the inertia by:

1. Stopping before the target.

2. Actively fighting the overshoot inertia by dragging the mouse in the opposite direction.

3. Lowering their weapon on the swingaround. I don't know if this condition is worth adding, seems more of a hassle and we don't have so much control over our characters for it to be worth it + any benefit would be lost on the muzzle lag on the upswing. Main benefit would be that you don't get caught on stuff.

Muzzle lag on downward swings should be counteracted by gravity.

Same kind of inertia should be the property of melee weapons.

Now the inertia and coordination difficulties or whatever that will slow you down when turning around. Make it so that when you turn around you just rotate your torso and the turning  of your legs and hips will lag behind. The faster you turn the more your legs and hips will lag behind. This is how it is in real life.

• Like 3

Yes then when thats all done remove third person view.

Edited by Max Planck
Stop.
  • Like 2

yes there are 10 other threads about this and even many tweets to and from rocket about this.

its hopefully fixed in next patch.

as for third person, we all love 3rd too much. it wont be going anywhere.

you can have your 1st person servers soon enough

Edited by Max Planck
Stop.

Yes then when thats all done remove third person view.

yes there are 10 other threads about this and even many tweets to and from rocket about this.

its hopefully fixed in next patch.

as for third person, we all love 3rd too much. it wont be going anywhere.

you can have your 1st person servers soon enough

Did you two even read the OP?

This is about mouse acceleration, deceleration and mouse smoothing, don't start the 1st/3rd thing in here.

On topic.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 3

I use first person... When you get surprised by a player that 3rd person is gonna get you killed. I just use it when I'm running around. Plus looting houses in 3rd person is hard.

Edited by Max Planck
Stop.

I acctually like the neg mouse accel, i think its in to stop twitch shooting like in Cod or anything made in source engine. It gives a feeling of weight to the weapon, and also a reward for bieng calm and controlled in gunplay. If they removed it and all of a sudden it feels like every other fps game out there i would feel like it had lost a big part of what made dayz great.

I acctually like the neg mouse accel, i think its in to stop twitch shooting like in Cod or anything made in source engine. It gives a feeling of weight to the weapon, and also a reward for bieng calm and controlled in gunplay. If they removed it and all of a sudden it feels like every other fps game out there i would feel like it had lost a big part of what made dayz great.

It is not any sort of turn speed cap. If you turn your sensitivity up you can still turn extremely fast. All it does is screw low sensitivity players.

I like this ideas as much as people hate twitch shooting there is no auto lock in dayz like COD / BF and plus our muscles work in the twitch fashion muscles don't smoothly release and contract they do it in twitches for example slowly move your arm back and forth or your head side to side hell even watch someone's eyes move; they contract in short sporadic twitches. i like this idea making the weapon collision matter over a smoothing effect, purely for the authentic nature of how muscle fibres work in the body.

Edited by twingunz

Ofc you can turn faster with sensativity up, but even with it up the effect is still very noticable, try it. I play with sence maxed and i get the same effect.....move mouse slow....good accutate turn speed. Try to turn it fast and it dosent move nearly as far.

Removing it would allow for these rediculous, unrealistic snap shos where a player who whas flanked a sniper could easily have the tables turned. Thats just not right, if you have flanked a prone sniper theres no way irl hes spinning round.....hefting his dmr or w/e into a fireable position and pulling the trigger, before dude with ak squeezes anc ends him. Thats why i would prefer it stay.

This is about mouse acceleration, don't start the 1st/3rd thing in here.

On topic.

Kinda wonder if you read it actually. The thread is actually about "Negative mouse acceleration" not to be confused with mouse acceleration,

Sadly this is due to poor coding and isn't fixable in a way that enabling the ability to toggle mouse acceleration on and off is. It's here to stay and that makes me sad.

Ofc you can turn faster with sensativity up, but even with it up the effect is still very noticable, try it. I play with sence maxed and i get the same effect.....move mouse slow....good accutate turn speed. Try to turn it fast and it dosent move nearly as far.

Removing it would allow for these rediculous, unrealistic snap shos where a player who whas flanked a sniper could easily have the tables turned. Thats just not right, if you have flanked a prone sniper theres no way irl hes spinning round.....hefting his dmr or w/e into a fireable position and pulling the trigger, before dude with ak squeezes anc ends him. Thats why i would prefer it stay.

I'd be fine with it if it weren't implemented in such a horrid way.

Also if you get the drop on a sniper then give them time to see you, aim and fire, you have noone to blame but yourself.

Edited by Altimor

This is about mouse acceleration, deceleration and mouse smoothing, don't start the 1st/3rd thing in here.

On topic.

Thank you,

While making 1st person a lot better does pertain to the removal of 3rd person, this is not the place for it. It has its own 30+ page thread and I posted this there too.

I have made suggestions for how to make it so that when negative acceleration is removed it doesn't turn into a twitch shooter. Read the original post and if you have something to add then please do.