Sign in to follow this  
Roshi (DayZ)

Two hands

Wouldn't mind the whole handgun and flashlight combo. Would love for them to make a separate stance/animation for it like this:

FV_007-354x200.jpg

Yeah this is exactly what I had in mind.

Accuracy with a one handed pistol should definitely be affected by WHAT's being held in the other hand - a torch should have minimal impact (Would you still be more accurate using both hands directly?)

But holding anything bulky/weighty or opened should definitely be detrimental... imagine if those target shooters were trying not to spill a can of opened beans with their other hand.

I would suggest that bimanual tasks (I.e. those requiring two hands) couldn't be performed with an inappropriate item in the other hand. In fact opening cans might require you to place the can in one hand and the opening device in the other.

People can shoot quite well with one hand. Olympic bulls eye target shooting is done with one hand.

Case in point.

bullseye2.jpg

Do you see one person using both hands there? It is possible to be accurate with one hand.

In DayZ we're supposed to be civilians surviving a zombie apocalypse, not Olympic bulls eye target shooters.  Just sayin =]

• Like 1

Torch in daylight? .oO

Tactical lights are meant to blind people - not necessarily to illuminate in front of you.  And yes, they shine bright as hell in daylight too.

Wielding 2 M4's running around Elektro, gunning around like Rambo.

Nah but i like the idea to a degree. Like the example picture, holding a map & compass at the same time.

Later on, maybe 2 rock's to create the needed spark for a fireplace etc.

I guess the main question is how much effort would be required to make this happen from a programming point of view (not a programmer so no idea).

Instead of a generic "Hands" box in the inventory, have neighbouring boxes for left and right hands. 

- Double handed items (e.g. rifles, axes) go across both.

Allows the possibility of:

- Pistol and flashlight (when don't have underslung flashlight).

- Pistol and knife

- Two pistols (obvious penalties for recoil and aiming)

- pistol and handcuffs (so you can cuff someone at gunpoint)

(if dual wielding weapons or weapon + item then RMB doesn't aim - activates second item)

- map and compass (PS be great for immersion if maps were held in hand rather than a separate screen a la current setup).

- map and flashlight or lighter (for night play)

- tin of beans and can opener.

- put item in each hand to combine for crafting system - e.g. sticks and duct tape for splinting, attaching gas stove to gas bottle.

As an aside, what about an open door animation - 'lock' character to door for duration of animation (as per using ladders). More cosmetic than anything but I get sick of being pushed to one side by opening doors.

super duper!

I like the dual combo's! :D if only there was a skorpion.

Would be good for crafting system too. Put items you wish to combine in each hand then right click and select what you want to make from the context menu. If a tool or third item required then drag over to one of the items in hand and again right click. Eg put a magazine in each hand then drag duck tape over and select "Tape magazines together".

People can shoot quite well with one hand. Olympic bulls eye target shooting is done with one hand.

Case in point.

bullseye2.jpg

Do you see one person using both hands there? It is possible to be accurate with one hand.

try to reproduce this while:

moving

holding a second thing in your unused hand

being engaged by filthy bandits

being eaten by walkers

shaking because you are scared

shaking because you are sick

being tired

being worn out

being exhausted

having pain

• Like 1

try to reproduce this while:

moving...

[snip]

having pain

Okay, but I'm not always doing those things in the game. Right?

Full support for two hands. I should be able to hold a bat or axe in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Yes, a one-handed melee attack should do slightly less damage, but it's still effective. I invite anyone with doubts to let me smack them in the face with a fire axe using only my right hand and we will evaluate the results afterward for science.

Okay, but I'm not always doing those things in the game. Right?

Full support for two hands. I should be able to hold a bat or axe in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Yes, a one-handed melee attack should do slightly less damage, but it's still effective. I invite anyone with doubts to let me smack them in the face with a fire axe using only my right hand and we will evaluate the results afterward for science.

Given the 'experiments' performed by the Medical Division it would seem that the DayZ ethics committee are pretty slack so I'm sure your study would get the go ahead...

I support this two hands thing. I actually made similar suggestion but i got some nitpicky dude crying about search function and linked this thread for me.

Why would you ever hold two guns? Reloading would be impossible, and you can only aim one at a time anyway.

It is not true that you can only aim one at a time. While it is true you can't look down the sights of two guns pointed at two targets at the same time with practice you can develop the hand eye co-ordination to be able to fire a pistol and hit a man sized target without every looking down the sights. You can do it from the hip or even with a gun in each hand. I can fire two guns at two targets that are not right next to each other and hit a man sized target at about 15 yards often enough to stop two targets. Alternately two pistols means you have 14(or double whatever you normally have) shots before you need to reload. Pop a few off from each gun. Then again 99% of the time you would be more accurate and reload fast enough it wouldn't matter with one gun and some solid practice at reloading quickly. I suppose it would be best for laying down suppression fire with handguns.

In DayZ we're supposed to be civilians surviving a zombie apocalypse, not Olympic bulls eye target shooters.  Just sayin =]

Olympic Bulls Eye Target Shooters are military? Ehem... :) I think you meant "Common Folk"(who happen to know how to use a gun cleaning kit on various models of guns, box, and how to shoot fairly well.)

I got excited when I clicked on this thread. Ah well, I'll stick to my wife's version of two hands.

/leaves thread and slams door behind him

Yeah I'd like to avoid focusing on the dual wielding thing - unless we're talking machetes that is (I'd love to go Miyamoto Musashi on some zeds)

I think the idea as more merits with regards to use of equipment than weapons.

Edited by Roshi

Target shooting with one hand is fine with the lightweight .22 Free Pistols used for this purpose.

Img214532224.jpg

What you're far more likely to see with 'proper' guns...

review35-6.jpg