(TMW) Merino

Merino's In-Depth Video Guides (Feb 11th: Updated to 0.34.115106 New Status Indicators, Rebalancing of Hunger, Thirst, Stomach, Blood and Health Reg)

and i tought that i used my free time for no constructive things 

• Like 5

Extremely good guide, learned some new things!

Merino....this video is exactly what is needed in the community. Keep it up because this was and IS very VERY useful. Thank you!

Edited by SyndicateFaction

Thanks for this guide very easy to follow watched the whole 25 mins really helpful ty kind sir you have my beans

Amazing guide. Thanks so much.  I must say as a medic in the real world it's lovely to see this stuff in a game!

Really nice guide. I have one question though if you are able to answer it.

Do our fresh spawns actually start with max health as well as blood? I have eaten to the stage where my character gets the message either "Healing" or "Healthy" status's on the inventory window quite a few times. If we do in fact start out with full health why is there no Healthy indicator when we spawn and what does the "Healthy" status actually mean?

Your best guess will be good enough as you seem to of spent quite a lot of time looking into this. If you have no idea then thanks anyway.

Do our fresh spawns actually start with max health as well as blood? I have eaten to the stage where my character gets the message either "Healing" or "Healthy" status's on the inventory window quite a few times. If we do in fact start out with full health why is there no Healthy indicator when we spawn and what does the "Healthy" status actually mean?

That is a really good point indeed. When it comes to blood I think it's pretty safe to assume that we start with it at the maximum - simply based on the fact that we see in full color and experience no effects that go along with a decreased blood level.

But with health currently having no really observable effects, it's difficult to tell if we spawn with 5000/5000 or maybe 4000/5000. But if it's 5000/5000, why is there no 'healthy' status that does after all show up after regenerating/'healing'? Hmhmhm.

This could be tested in a pretty easy way actually. Have a newly spawned player reach full regeneration level without taking damage so health is at the exact same level. Either be extra careful and avoid zombies at all cost, or bring a lot of supplies to the coast and have a banquet. I can't do the latter at the moment since I was shot about two hours ago and lost all my supplies *sniff* but with me currently standing at the coast, thinking what to do, I might as well try the former. I'll let you know if I find out something, for science!

My best guess though: you do spawn with 5000/5000, but the 'healthy' status is a direct result of a completed 'healing' phase and only shows up after having regenerated previously lost health. No healing process completed, no 'healthy' status.

• Like 3

Epic video dude, I can tell you have done your research on this.

I was very surprised at how low the threshold is that triggers the hunger messages!

This will definitely change how I play the game now that I know what you have taught, with eating all food asap and not having it clogging up my inventory all the time.....20000 units wowsers.......

Good Job..

This was a fantastic post. I of course now have to change how I play as things make more sense. Thanks for the info. Keep it up.

Really nice guide. I have one question though if you are able to answer it.

Your best guess will be good enough as you seem to of spent quite a lot of time looking into this. If you have no idea then thanks anyway.

[...]

But with health currently having no really observable effects, it's difficult to tell if we spawn with 5000/5000 or maybe 4000/5000. But if it's 5000/5000, why is there no 'healthy' status that does after all show up after regenerating/'healing'? Hmhmhm.

This could be tested in a pretty easy way actually. Have a newly spawned player reach full regeneration level without taking damage so health is at the exact same level. Either be extra careful and avoid zombies at all cost, or bring a lot of supplies to the coast and have a banquet. I can't do the latter at the moment since I was shot about two hours ago and lost all my supplies *sniff* but with me currently standing at the coast, thinking what to do, I might as well try the former. I'll let you know if I find out something, for science!

[...]

Experiment completed, here's the protocol:

Spawned in Kamenka, didn't eat or drink anything, avoided all zombies and started sprinting to Zelenogorsk to start scavenging for food in the aparment blocks and market stalls. The search turned up a canteen, two packs of cereal, one pack of rice, three cans of tuna. I didn't take beans or sardines since I didn't have a can opener and I didn't want to fiddle with partial amounts, not knowingif and how the game rounds. This should still be enough to reach full regeneration.

1. Starting values:

- energy: somewhere between 600 (had no messages yet) and the starting 1000, assuming 500 to be on the safe side

- water: somewhere between 1000 and 1800; drank just enough from the canteen to get to above 2000 (not thirsty anymore)

2. Two full canteens at 1000 water each over 150 seconds

- water: water rising from 2000 to 4000

3. Two packs of cereal, 2x930 energy, 2x-250 water over 105 seconds

- energy: moving towards at least 2300

- water: now moving towards 3500 instead

4. One pack of rice, 3740 energy, -1000 water over 500 seconds

- energy: now moving towards at least 6000

- water: now moving towards 2500

Next, I was going to drink a can of soda every minute for a total of five cans for an extra at 700 energy and 1500 water, but it wasn't necessary: just as I was about to drink the first can of soda, I noticed the 'healthy' status had appeared. Apparently I had already hit slow regeneration while I was busy satisfying the munchies.

Conclusion:

Being 'healthy' does not require you to have been 'healing' before. I had definitely not taken damage before and skipped the 'healing' phase entirely straight to 'healthy', which confirms that you do in fact spawn at full health. But the real eye-opener for me here: 'healthy' seems to mean "if you weren't at full blood and health already, you would be regenerating right now".

Or differently put:

'healthy'/'healing' = in regeneration mode

'healing' = in regeneration mode and still injured

'healthy' = in regeneration mode and not injured anymore

fbd.jpg

:D

• Like 16

Interesting. Perhaps rocket could confirm this?

I wouldn't be surprised if we heared more about the various status effects soon. They only put them in the inventory screen in the short period between the start of early access and when they took off for christmas. I'm sure they are only temporary and will see a lot of changes in the future, including explanations. I hope especially that energy and thirst get an immersive depiction like blood has with grayscale vision. A actually growling stomach would be awesome  :)​ 

I've often heard there's diminishing returns to consuming the same type of food over and over again. I'm guessing this is just a myth?

Anyway, great video. I had a good idea how hunger, thirst, blood, health and energy related to each other before, but your explanations and having specific values to work with really put everything into place. I'd give you not just my beans, but my rice too!

Edited by Thoric