CGNoodlePot (DayZ)

A more realistic CAMPFIRE ingredients that is already available in game

So if I am correct from what I read, the campfire and cooking feature will be available early 2014.

And I believe the items needed are chopped wood, stones and matches.

It makes sense and I have a suggestion to probably a better Idea.

Instead of stone, it should be PAPER or BOOKS!

2exoa5h.jpg

Because if you come to think of it, the books are a rarely picked up item in the game because they are almost useless.

To make them useful, they must be a necessary item for survival.

Now if you want to make a campfire in real life, you will need a fast burning material or a fire starter to keep the fire up until the wood is dark and ember.

I suggest PAPER is a 1 use item while BOOKS can contain 5-10 sheets of paper that you can burn.

This way the players will be encouraged to pick up those papers and books to read... learn something then once they are finished with it, cook meat with it!

To make it even more interesting, make it a little harder to start fire without them like there is a 30%-50% chance of fire starting with only matches and wood but an instant fire if you have paper and books.

Do I make sense here?

Thank you for reading!!!! :D

Edit:

Now I have another idea: Keep on feeding the campfire wood and paper if you want the fire to keep burning longer so that you dont have to spawn new campfires over the other. Now that is realistic!

Edit2: Use books as a layer of protection for your items in the backpack. The books get damaged to Ruined condition first before bullets be able to damage the more important items.

Edited by CGNoodlePot
  • Like 19

There's really no need to have paper or stones in order to make a fire.

Paper: You can craft the tinder from the wood directly. 

Stones: Nobody gives a F- if there burns down a house or a forest after the apocalypsis. 

But I agree with you, because I would prefer the materials "Paper, Matches, Wood" more then "Stone, Matches, Wood". Ther'e just too many ways to keep a campfire secure without stones - plus you don't really have to care at all. 

Btw I would love to see, if you could build an cooking-gadget with an empty can, a scissor and some alcohol. 

• Like 5

Do we really need stones? I mean, who needs stones to build a campfire? Just firewood.

• Like 1

Burning books is a crime against humanity > :(

:P

Well... we are digital books now so..... 

*feels out of place*

LOL

Actually implementing books and paper as necessary items of survival will promote reading in SA. Burn alot of books but they will keep on spawning anyway! :P

Do we really need stones? I mean, who needs stones to build a campfire? Just firewood.

I must say i thought the stones were for throwing at the zombies, ala shaun of the dead

Burning books is a crime against humanity > :(

:P

kek

You make sense then I also thought about making cooking meat a little difficult because you will become literally self sufficient by just cooking in the forest and a water canteen. If those two is already enough on what you need to survive then what about those Beans? Spaghetti? Tuna and Sardines?

We must make sure there is a balance and need for players to visit the cities to promote player interaction and the usual fire fights.

Edited by CGNoodlePot

I must say i thought the stones were for throwing at the zombies, ala shaun of the dead

I was even thinking of combining stones + burlap sacks as an improvised flail for melee.

9-cueball.jpg

• Like 1

Just make it difficult to set on a  fire and to hold the fire burning.

Edited by Shalom

also you can make the portable gas stove very rare. so most of the players will focus on making a fire place

• Like 1

Then that will discourage making campfires then. 

If you had the choice between freezing your ass off and freezing your half ass off at a camp fire you would try to light one up nonetheless.

If you had the choice between freezing your ass off and freezing your half ass off at a camp fire you would try to light one up nonetheless.

Of course fireplaces will always be used. Its just let us not spoil ourselves on making it too easy or ignore them for being too difficult to make. Putting wood, paper/books and matches together to make a fire is fair with me because it will encourage people to go back to cities more.

Now I have another idea: Keep on feeding the campfire wood and paper if you want the fire to keep burning longer so that you dont have to spawn new campfires over the other. Now that is realistic!

I assume the campfire would be reusable - just add wood and matches...

So, you use stones to contain the fire when you place a tent down or something - so you don't burn it down.

Stones absolutely make sense imo - and you can use dead grass, small twigs and all sorts of things for kindling. Paper and books would be good fuels though - so the fire has a 'health' and you can add stuff to it to improve that.

You can use clothing, wood, twigs, paper, books and anything else that could be burnable - hell, you could even use shovel and axe handles. It should be possible to freeze (which I think their adding.) It's Russia, after all.

I also suggest that there should be different lighting techniques - you should be able to find flint (100 uses), lighters (500 uses, 1/250 chance of breaking on each use) or even use stones to light.

The way this all would work would be as such:

Collect stones, craft a fire ring - or something of a similar name.

Go to the area you want the fire, right click the stones, dig a small fire pit with a spade/axe/similar tool & place them down.

Add fuel

Light with any method. Lighter is most surefire way - matches can die on you if you don't have kindling, flint randomly fails - with 100 total uses, stones have very low success rate - but don't break or something similar.

Edited by Isaaq
  • Like 3

Good idea, If they were to make a certain campfire that you build permanent would be amazing if you used the stones it would be permanent without the stones then it will be there until restart. I think the permanent fire would be a great way to encourage base building.

• Like 3

I think they should make you have to have a easier to light substance than logs, such as books/ paper/ kindling that you could cut right from a piece of firewood.

You should be able to chop firewood, but maybe... You should have to let it dry into what the lootable stuff is?

Permanent campfires, these could be crafted with the stones, have about 10+ to craft a fire maybe 20+ to craft a bigger fire that you could put a spit over. Permanent fires wouldn't be taken away on server resets and would maybe resonate heat better with all the old embers holding the heat for well and long.

Cook bigger meat cuts on the spit.

• Like 3

Good idea, If they were to make a certain campfire that you build permanent would be amazing if you used the stones it would be permanent without the stones then it will be there until restart. I think the permanent fire would be a great way to encourage base building.

Things like permanent campfires and also crafting tables are what I hope we see in SA camps, less of the item hoarding we saw in the mod and more of a useful place to craft and cook.

The best part about it is nobody can steal a campfire/ workbench.

• Like 2

I'm starting to see this turn more and more into an epoch thing lol, epoch had a really good idea in where you could build anything really that your heart desires within reason, I would love to see epoch meet standalone meet possibly origins? Where you have survivor traders and building supplies and the modifiable vehicles along possibly with lockable cars and such that could be broken into with simple things like a hot wire kit or a stone to a window which in turn sets off the car alarm and attracts zombies and players alike to the area of that alarm. And maybe craft-able canvas from clothing, but you need several articles of clothing to craft a single canvas so it is not overpowered where you could craft large and small tents alike where you could actually enter them and get into their gear and it closes so that zombies can't get in and you could also have it so that they can be cut open with sharp objects such as knives to hatchets. Just an idea.

• Like 3

I'm starting to see this turn more and more into an epoch thing lol, epoch had a really good idea in where you could build anything really that your heart desires within reason, I would love to see epoch meet standalone meet possibly origins? Where you have survivor traders and building supplies and the modifiable vehicles along possibly with lockable cars and such that could be broken into with simple things like a hot wire kit or a stone to a window which in turn sets off the car alarm and attracts zombies and players alike to the area of that alarm. And maybe craft-able canvas from clothing, but you need several articles of clothing to craft a single canvas so it is not overpowered where you could craft large and small tents alike where you could actually enter them and get into their gear and it closes so that zombies can't get in and you could also have it so that they can be cut open with sharp objects such as knives to hatchets. Just an idea.

I want to see three different paths.

Large fortified bases, Most expensive and pretty good 4 loot storage.

Camps, cheap helpful places you can build for food and crafting. But with the amount of traffic not a safe place to hide loot.

Very hidden spider holey loot stashes very secret, not usually extremely rich but very handy to store small/ amounts of loot to help you get a gun right away/ save yourself from starvation.

• Like 1

The books/paper idea seems legit. It would also be cool, if there is a lot of smoke as a consequence of the campfire, so people around the area might spot the campfire. It would add a more realistic tone to the game, imo.

• Like 1

There's really no need to have paper or stones in order to make a fire.

Paper: You can craft the tinder from the wood directly. 

Stones: Nobody gives a F- if there burns down a house or a forest after the apocalypsis. 

well you might need stones if you gonna sleep around that fire and dont wanna wake up in flames + stones can keep you warm

Edited by per2