Sign in to follow this  
SoWeMeetAgain

Suggestion: item - periscope

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use such a thing?

• Yes
    • I prefer to cheat-look around corners, so no.
    • No
  2. 2. Would this make the game more fair while also making it more realistic?

• Yes
    • Yes; but I myself need the unfair advantage of cheat-looking around stuff so please don't implement it

So since the 3d person cheating will probably never be fully dealt away with, and also because it would be cool - how about adding a periscope?

That way even the people playing the game the way it's meant to be played can look around corners, but still not as abusable as the 3d person cheaters because other people can actually see the periscope-lens and also it would not give unhindered view like the cheating 3d person way to look around corners, it would be more like a really big scope view.

A good way to implement it (usability) would be that "normally" it is just straight up, in all stances (standing, crouch, prone) so you can look through a window without showing your head/look over a fence. And if you want to look around a corner you "lean" towards that corner (standing and crouch only ofc) and the periscope then is turned horizontally so you can look around the corner.

Possibly add a way to elongate/shorten it in the inventory, so if you pull it all the way out you can look "farther" above your head/next to you but it takes more space in the backpack than when you have it shorter.

Also possibly add the options for a wide-eye lense or telescopic lense.

For night maybe duct tape a flashlight to the front ;)

This is not a discussion about whether or not using 3d person to cheat-look around corners is "fair" (it is not and I could give you examples) if you want to talk about that open yourself a thread.

527px-Polemoskop_Hevelius.png

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-198-1363-29A%2C_R

I think that the more realistic item would be the ol' mirror on a stick kind of craftable item. Hard to implement though because the ARMA engine doesn't do picture in picture as far as I can tell.

I don't think that periscopes are very common military gear nowadays are they?

I don't care either way but I find the passive aggressive statement regarding 'the way it's meant to be played' hilarious as Rocket is a pretty avid supporter of 3rd person view.

Even if you implement a periscope '3d person cheaters' would still have a massive advantage over you given that they don't need to equip a special item and can do a full 360 sweep in full FOV.

You can just roleplay as if you're taking out a periscope and use 3rd person view to look around corners, such say in direct chat stuff like "Oi I'm getting me periscope out now, I'm a submarine captain.", it'll probably work better for all involved.

(For the record I also think the game would've been a lot better as 1st person only, but I'm not gonna handicap myself just to prove something to myself)

No need for this tool since third person will not be removed.

Perhaps the item won't be needed in the case of 3rd person...

But maybe within the the hardcore servers where is Fps only.. ;)

• Like 1

I think that the more realistic item would be the ol' mirror on a stick kind of craftable item. Hard to implement though because the ARMA engine doesn't do picture in picture as far as I can tell.

I don't think that periscopes are very common military gear nowadays are they?

I don't think a Mosin Nagant is a common military issued rifle in today's time either.

No need for this tool since third person will not be removed.

Non sequitur and false.

Think about the coming hardcore (no 3d person) servers

I don't care either way but I find the passive aggressive statement regarding 'the way it's meant to be played' hilarious as Rocket is a pretty avid supporter of 3rd person view.

Even if you implement a periscope '3d person cheaters' would still have a massive advantage over you given that they don't need to equip a special item and can do a full 360 sweep in full FOV.

You can just roleplay as if you're taking out a periscope and use 3rd person view to look around corners, such say in direct chat stuff like "Oi I'm getting me periscope out now, I'm a submarine captain.", it'll probably work better for all involved.

(For the record I also think the game would've been a lot better as 1st person only, but I'm not gonna handicap myself just to prove something to myself)

False.

Yes.

Yes you can roleplay that, it is still unfair as you yourself said.

(Why not? But to each his own. I myself will not cheat just because others do)

edit: you should read what "passive-aggressive" actually is, it is not what you think it is, but I understand what you meant

Edited by SoWeMeetAgain

oh by the way:

It is still used today. In the military they have them in armored vehicles, for example humvees. Tanks have an item with similar function but it is not removable.

Building-contractors use periscopes to look inside walls that have metal in them so they can see if there's wiring, gas or water pipes.