Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Please eliminate server restarts

Edit: This is a long term thing, I understand it can't happen until loot/zombies spawn and bugs are fixed.

I know it's alpha, but I just don't enjoy them. They've become a standard practice in the mod and I hate it. Nothing kills the mood like that red text saying no message from server.

Example, today met some nice guy who didn't talk much, but we looted towns together, raided the military bases, confronted some other survivors, and then got into an intense scene at the NWAF, I was shot and passed out in one of the hangers, after 5mins I regained concousness and found my friend guarding right behind me, we regrouped and gathered our thoughts, pushed out into the airfield and flank around where I suspected the shooter to be, spotted him and took fire as I stormed the firestation he was on, turned around expect to see my friend.... red text.

I'm not saying it has to be done now or anytime even soon, but I want the goal of DayZ to have servers that run for weeks. I want to be able to drop shit in the bushes and come back the next day and it be there. I've done it on Takistan Life servers, it is possible. The only thing stopping it is people accepting any less.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 3

Some servers are restart every 4 hours or so to respawn the loot. It's rumoured that the loot only spawns on server restarts at the moment. That's why they are doing it.
It's good if the MOTD says when they are doing the restarts so you can get ready for them.

From what i can tell the server restarts are in at the moment as a way to respawn loot and zombies. Afaik loot doesnt respawn at the moment and zombies definitely do not. I mean the way my 2 friends and i can see if a town has been looted is to look for zombies, if you dont see any theres a good chance the only loot you will find are things that others have missed/not wanted.

On another note i do love looting a military base, getting 5 mins away from it and the server restarting :P its like christmas only better than at my house ;) 

• Like 2

I understand this can't happen right now guys. I'm talking about making this a long term goal of the game. Plan for no restarts. Right now, they're essential for the mechanics to work, I don't want to see that turn into a trend.

Exactly! That's exactly the message I was trying to convey in my post above.

Great! Looks like I'll be starving to death a lot more than usual....(If this was to get implemented)  No loot=no guns= fuck that

lol poor bad mojo i don't think anyone actually read his post he even said and i quote! "I'm not saying it has to be done now or anytime even soon" presume he added the red after the backlash, yeah i agree or at very minimum once every 12 hours, i think it's good to keep the servers fresh and reset at least once a day but the 4 hour thing is needed as it is now. I hope when spawning is fixed that it'll be tamed down! (honestly i feel right now they should reset every 2 hours as any server with 30+ people is empty after an hour or 2)

The problem with not restarting the server atleast once or twice daily is that it causes lag, drops FPS, etc. Atleast on the mod it did. Although I'm somewhat positive the issue will persist on the SA. Just my ¢0.02

Edited by Advent1

The problem with not restarting the server atleast once or twice daily is that it causes lag, drops FPS, etc. Atleast on the mod it did. Although I'm somewhat positive the issue will persist on the SA. Just my ¢0.02

I agree, and I think steps should be taken early on in development to fix whatever causes the lag or fps drops. The mod was limited in what they could fix because of it being a mod, but this isn't.

Funny how people didn't read the post. Yeah, make servers reset every week/month instead of every 4 hours. Would be awesome to hide items without the need of tents.

It wouldnt work. There would be no loot left in towns/cities, FPS would be at an all time low, Lag would be constant, Just no. 

If they at least would be able to put in a message advance of the restart eg: WoW

Every time a server restarts in that game its starts broadcasting a message in chat to all players !

Restarts are getting even worse with all these servers that think more restarts spawning more loot means amazingly fun times. Except I don't enjoy having the world I play in reset over and over and over and over and over again. Having my gameplay interrupted by red text isn't fun, having to navigate the broken server browser(seriously why do servers remove themselves from my lists? just show them as offline ffs!) trying to get back into the server you were just on, isn't fun.

Fuck the restarts, i would take no new items for a month if it meant restarts would be phased out. They're hurting the feeling of the game for me. That and the "Player is losing connection" messages need to go.

/rant

I don't mind them. I just think we need a 15, 10, 5, 3, and 1 minute remaining warnings, so we know what is happening.

im not sure that restarts so wide spread is ever going to be possible. Just think how many items they want to add into the loot spawning,, then think how many zombies they want to add then think how many players they want to add to the mix, follow this with alot of people droping stuff after picking it up in random spots due to not looking at it when they picked it up but later realise its ruined etc.

What i am getting at before long the server is going to be dealing with so many thousands of extra items the desync would be immense so then what instead of restart you add a clean up script to remove all these items im not sure the cure will be better than the problem.

Hope i am wrong hope they can find enough juice in server side performance to run with no restart for weeks but i realisticly dont think it will happen...

1 a day might be the best we can hope for again i hope i am wrong but i just dont think so..

Edited by SoulFirez

To the new posters: server restarts happen for two ressons: loot doesn't respawn, and server hoppers pick things clean.

If servers didn't reset every few hours, server hopping would become necessary, not just for people looking for "phat lewtz".

Also, despite the map size, a full server can quickly decimate every resource that spawned pretty quickly. This would result in everyone dying of hunger within one day, no joke. It would also result in non server hoppers never seeing a gun.

Rocket has stated over and over that loot respawning will happen, but server resets are a work around at the moment, so complaining that they need to fix it either means you're just venting, which is fine, or just uninformed. If it's the latter then i strongly suggest that you research the topic with a very quick Google search in the future as it will save you time.

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 2

It was stated by the devs (I think rocket) that eliminating server restarts is a long term goal.

There might need to be restarts every now and then afterwards, but it shouldn't be a necessity of the game itself, aside from updates and stuff.

Edited by Baarn

The restarts are a little annoying, but to be expected given the nature of the game. I do however agree that restarts should be limited. At the moment, the norm appears to be every 4 hours, not counting the unexpected restarts. This means that there is effectively an infinite number of all resources, all guns, food, drink, etc. If you had a full server, you would barely be able to clear half of the loot before the server restarts.

There is no difficulty, no struggle to survive. Limit loot respawns. Make food, drink and weapons finite. Let them run out, let there be a need to trade for things. Server restarts should be every week, and the only thing that should respawn are animals. With that you can feed yourself and quench your thirst with relative ease (but significantly more difficult than it is now) and the real hunt for equipment begins.

We definitely need some way to balance server performance and the sort of persistent world Rocket wants. Right now I'm seeing 2-4 hour restart servers everywhere. Another issue is that it makes the day/night cycle completely meaningless. If and when the lighting engine improves to Arma 3's standard we're going to want to see night time.

We do need zombies and loot to respawn dynamically, but we also need it to be done in a way that prevents loot cycling. When hordes are implemented, they should spawn somewhere with no players a kilometer or two from the emptied town and move in. This would make fortifying a town more exciting, too, as you prepare to defend against a wave of zombies.

I have no idea how you'd do it, though. Maybe you could have areas that have been looted respawn their loot every 3-6 hours to prevent people sitting around waiting for it to happen, and make it more of a staged restart rather than a full server wipe. You should of course be able to save your hiding spots, maybe using a tent or backpack to do so. That would make the improvised packs useful to people with hunting/hiking packs, because you could keep the required components in your bag, then craft the bag and hide it, and it would remain on server restart.

We should definitely aim for server full server restarts every 24+ hours if possible, but we also need the ability to create a persistent world beyond those restarts.

• Like 1

We definitely need some way to balance server performance and the sort of persistent world Rocket wants. Right now I'm seeing 2-4 hour restart servers everywhere. Another issue is that it makes the day/night cycle completely meaningless. If and when the lighting engine improves to Arma 3's standard we're going to want to see night time.

We do need zombies and loot to respawn dynamically, but we also need it to be done in a way that prevents loot cycling. When hordes are implemented, they should spawn somewhere with no players a kilometer or two from the emptied town and move in. This would make fortifying a town more exciting, too, as you prepare to defend against a wave of zombies.

I have no idea how you'd do it, though. Maybe you could have areas that have been looted respawn their loot every 3-6 hours to prevent people sitting around waiting for it to happen, and make it more of a staged restart rather than a full server wipe. You should of course be able to save your hiding spots, maybe using a tent or backpack to do so. That would make the improvised packs useful to people with hunting/hiking packs, because you could keep the required components in your bag, then craft the bag and hide it, and it would remain on server restart.

We should definitely aim for server full server restarts every 24+ hours if possible, but we also need the ability to create a persistent world beyond those restarts.

Exactly, a good start would be items persisting after restarts. So, if you were looting a building during a restart, it's not going to have new loot, it'll save the stuff from before. This would also work with stuff left on the ground.

I think they should work harder on cleaning up areas where there are too many items, rather than rely on a full wipe every restart. Of course loot and zombie respawning needs to be worked in. Maybe have areas that haven't seen players in a couple hours respawn loot AND zombies.

The best thing they could do at this point would be changing the restarts to a soft restart, so players just get a loading screen for a minute or so as the server restarts. Kicking people completely offline is just too much.

I have faith that in the end they will be able to build a game that requires no restarts. I just hope they push for it sooner rather than later.

+1 to add a warning before restarts. say like 15,10,5 and 1 min before the restart.

And add a storage item : tents etc.

hopefully tents are adding before or when vehicles are added. Im thinking thats when the "containers" will be able to be saved like vehicle storage to the server. (I forget the correct word to use, same as server files from mod)

on the other hand maybe an npc town that can hold items for you like an mmo. So that way you can still log onto different servers and keep your stuff considering vehicles etc stay on their own servers.

just my opinions/ideas

Edited by pcpthepman