janusz.pietraczuk@gmail.com

Tips for green survivors - PvP / KoS

Hello!

After reading tons of topics, full of topics of complaints on KoS, I've decided to give away some tips. I've killed dozens of characters so far, and I was killed probably even more times. Here you go:

1) Avoid obvious routes. Don't travel along roads, rail tracks. 150-200 metres away from them will allow you to keep to right direction and avoid many contacts.

2) Look around. Use your left "alt" to check out what's happening behind your back and to your sides. At least once every minute.

3) Control your breath. Don't sprint all the time this will deplete your energy, and - what's even more important - won't allow you to shoot back if you're ambushed. Control your breath - if your character's breath is loud and fast, look for a safe place and sit for a minute or two.

4) Before entering any town, take a break. This will allow you to replenish energy and scan the town for human activity. Look for movement, open doors, lights.

5) Use darkness to your advantage. Use your flashlight only when absolutely necessary. Turn it off immediately after you find what you're looking for. Lights will give away your position to other players.

6) Don't try to look badass, if you can't defend yourself. If you gear up, have a nice backpack, military grade clothes - you're an obvious target for bandits.

7) Carrying a rifle without ammo is a bad idea. Other survivors will immediately see you as a serious threat to their safety, they may KoS just because you're carrying a gun on your back. Also, other's might want your gun badly.

8) When surprised and without chance to run/defend - give up. Just say "I give up" or "friendly" and press F2. So far I never got killed when I did that move. Sometimes geared up players will just let you go, or make you drop your backpack or sth.

9) Use your ears and remembers, that others can do that too. Don't make any unnecessary noices. Don't fire your gun against zombies, if you can handle them safely with your axe. Don't sprint inside buildings.

10) Don't eat in cities. Collect your food and have a lunch in a safe place, a few hundred metres from the nearest town. There's nothing worse than being caught by others in the middle of your breakfast. It also generates noice.

11) Use backdoor to enter buildings. Don't use main entrances - if the building is being watched, mostly the front door is guarded.

12) Be aware of windows. Don't show up in windows of the building you're looting. Crouch or go prone, if you want to collect loot near windows. Also, use them to your advantage and scan sorroundings of the building you're inside before going out.

13) Team up with a real-life friend. 80% per cent of my deaths happened, when I was alone. When I roam the Chernarus with my friend, our survival rate is much higher.

14) Military tactics WORK in some pc games. DayZ is one of them. If you really want to learn something useful, check out real-life military handbooks. Those focusing on MOUT warfare would be very useful.

15) Engage targets only, if there's a reasonable purpose. Shooting one guy will give away your position to others. Possibly his friends.

16) Ready up your weapon EVERY TIME you get inside a building. You never know if someone is there and what is his or her intention.

And, finally:

17) DON'T BE A DICK. It will backfire.

I hope you find these tips useful.

Stay safe.

Edited by atre88
  • Like 27

Thanks, this is useful!

If you head north all the time, will you find the airfield? I'm in a forest location.

I started at the coast, with the pier and cranes. Headed west for a few miles and then north until now. Am I going right?

i like thos tips i will add two more never go close to your friend you will have more chance in battle and if you are in battle whit a friend make him run from your position so you can easy find the enemy

Specific to the SA, good advice is to fill up on water at a well before you truly begin your journey.

Also specific to the SA, travel from building to building to travel through a town.

Even if you run into someone you have walls to separate you both and break LOS quickly.

• Like 1

One more tip: If you see someone, always try to say that you're friendly. If a player has enouth brain to not shoot on sight, that's a great thing.

But still. Very good guide for bambi's

One more tip: If you see someone, always try to say that you're friendly. If a player has enouth brain to not shoot on sight, that's a great thing.

I find this is counter-productive. Yelling "FRIENDLY FRIENDLY" as soon as you see someone is asking to get shot. I don't even KoS or try to ruin people's day and I'd shoot at them and tell them to go away.

More often than not it's a guy waiting to get the jump on you who found he's at the receiving end of your barrel anyway.

Thanks, this is useful!

If you head north all the time, will you find the airfield? I'm in a forest location.

I started at the coast, with the pier and cranes. Headed west for a few miles and then north until now. Am I going right?

No do not listen to people who tell you to head north you will find nothing unless you are going somewhere specifically.

Actually: Don't. If you have any means to enforce your demands (even a .45 pistol), don't let others know you're a... pussy. Use your VOIP and give short commands. Don't say "I'm friendly" - this shows that you're weak. Say: "You can go away." "Get out of here!". This will show others that you're in control of the situation. Yelling "friendly" every time you see someone is a bad idea. Make's you a prey, not the hunter.

Use "friendly" only when you stay NO CHANCE. This means - the others are better armed / outnumbering you seriously. If you both carry same grade weapons - be the stronger one.

Yesterday I encountered two dudes, who were hostile. I told them to go out of my sight and I was armed only with a kitchen knife. They stood speechless. "I'll fuckin' gut you" I said. They ran away as soon as I made a step towards them with my knife raised. I doubt I could've taken out both of them, but I just seemed stronger. This is why they gave up and ran.

Don't show your weakness'. This will lead to your demise, just as in the real life.

• Like 5

Actually: Don't. If you have any means to enforce your demands (even a .45 pistol), don't let others know you're a... pussy. Use your VOIP and give short commands. Don't say "I'm friendly" - this shows that you're weak. Say: "You can go away." "Get out of here!". This will show others that you're in control of the situation. Yelling "friendly" every time you see someone is a bad idea. Make's you a prey, not the hunter.

Use "friendly" only when you stay NO CHANCE. This means - the others are better armed / outnumbering you seriously. If you both carry same grade weapons - be the stronger one.

Yesterday I encountered two dudes, who were hostile. I told them to go out of my sight and I was armed only with a kitchen knife. They stood speechless. "I'll fuckin' gut you" I said. They ran away as soon as I made a step towards them with my knife raised. I doubt I could've taken out both of them, but I just seemed stronger. This is why they gave up and ran.

Don't show your weakness'. This will lead to your demise, just as in the real life.

About using direct cooms to your advantage: My friend, ungeared and freshly spawned, made a guy to drop his weapon, by telling him he has DMR on him :D

About using direct cooms to your advantage: My friend, ungeared and freshly spawned, made a guy to drop his weapon, by telling him he has DMR on him :D

Nice, considering there are no DMRs in the game yet ;) ;) ;)

Re: carrying an empty or broken gun.

Twice now I have subdued a player with a melee weapon by aiming my empty rifle at him. I am fairly certain, from past experience, these guys would absolutely had bashed me to death had they not thought I had a working gun. My suggestion, then, is the opposite on this account. I say carry a gun and be a good actor. Nobody has to know. And, if you're lucky, you might find the parts or ammo you need eventually.

• Like 1

Thanks, this is useful!

dayzdb.com/map           find out where you are and work from there.

• Like 1

Re: carrying an empty or broken gun.

Twice now I have subdued a player with a melee weapon by aiming my empty rifle at him. I am fairly certain, from past experience, these guys would absolutely had bashed me to death had they not thought I had a working gun. My suggestion, then, is the opposite on this account. I say carry a gun and be a good actor. Nobody has to know. And, if you're lucky, you might find the parts or ammo you need eventually.

It's useful only if you're practicing banditry. If you are playing a "good guy" having an empty rifle on your back will bring you nothing but trouble.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if that gun of yours wasn't the thing these players were after. One time you're lucky, next time you end with a hatchet in your spine.

Edited by atre88

It's useful only if you're practicing banditry.

I have neither robbed nor killed, only used the empty rifle as an instrument of my escape - so maybe I am an incredible exception to your law. But I still propose there must be a better alternative than throwing up your hands and shouting "I surrender" and hoping your volunteered master isn't sadistic like a majority of players I'm DayZ.

Run away, might be the best advice. :)

Today I was KoS near the coastline, maybe a psycho, never met him, could be a good guy with a shooting disorder.

On the second day of christmas, My lover gave me two bullets, the shot were from afar, I only heard the bullet, not the gunshot.

I didn't read those rules until now, I really thank you guys for these tips. I'll avoid wearing an empty holster with no gun in it, it could have played against my case from this distance.

In fact I underestimated the "KoS" factor, I only had an axe, and expected to be embushed more than being shot from a rooftop.

So to those who just read those rules, never underestimate the fact you could meet a guy who has no time or will to talk. Worse, you could never see where it came from.

In my experience, if you are able to get the drop on another player, as in sneak up on em and hide within earshot, then make your presence known, they may just log out. This has happened to me maybe a quarter of the time when I bump into other players.

I have neither robbed nor killed, only used the empty rifle as an instrument of my escape - so maybe I am an incredible exception to your law. But I still propose there must be a better alternative than throwing up your hands and shouting "I surrender" and hoping your volunteered master isn't sadistic like a majority of players I'm DayZ.

Run away, might be the best advice. :)

You got lucky, that's all. Imagine that: You are 5 metres away from another guy. He wields axe. You - an empty rifle. He decides to "go for it" and he "has nothing to lose" mentality. You can't fire your gun, nor defend with a buttstock. You are dead.

I said "8) When surprised and without chance to run/defend - give up." If you have a chance to run (i.e. your opponent is not armed with a gun, the environment would provide cover from the enemy fire etc.) - do it. If not - give up. There's no point in risking being shot in the back. You can also go and fight but... most people have their guns loaded. Do you get it know? :)

I do the exact opposite of what you propse. I always make my whereabouts known. Most people kill people on sight because they feel threatened or were surprised. I also constantly tell people I'm friendly and it hasn't done me any harm so far.

What I agree on though would be trying not to look to 'bad ass' and not wearing a gun if you're not going to use it, people will just see you as a threat and kill you on sight. If I'd have to give any tips I'd say wear inconspicuous cloth and a non threatening melee weapon(not an axe, people seem alergic to those) and your chances of being killed on sight are much lower.

• Like 1

I do the exact opposite of what you propse. I always make my whereabouts known. Most people kill people on sight because they feel threatened or were surprised. I also constantly tell people I'm friendly and it hasn't done me any harm so far.

Well, it's your style and I respect it. I prefer not to by the one being surprised by enemy.

hi,

Good post OP, very useful for new players.

I would like to add a tip to your list:

Train to fire your gun. Too much players never fired a shot before they really had to.

First solution is to connect on a low population server and shoot zombies at different distance. Like that when you have to defend yourself or take a kill you are a bigger treat and waste less ammo. It's not perfect and it will never replace PvP but at least you know how to use your gun.

The best solution IMHO, is to practice PvP for a while.

Practising PvP will help you to:

- know how to use your gun in combat condition

- think like the hunter and not the prey

- have better adrenaline control during encounter.

- be less attached to you gear

When you feel you are comfortable with PvP, go back to your play style whatever it is.

cya.

Nikiller.

• Like 3