Dayzryan

Should they bring back General chat?

Playing the mod actually felt like a multiplayer game because you could read messages and communicate with other players on the server, so it didn't feel so lonely. Being able to talk whilst you play is much more fun, especially when your friends cant play. 

What do you guys think?

I think it would help, If you're able to talk to other people it actually helps with cooperation and meeting up. Right now it's just a bunch of scared people randomly bumping into one another and shoot first, ask questions later.

• Like 6

No. They should add more communication options like two-way radios, more complicated hand signals, and better ways to identify teammates like badges sewn on to backpacks but "general chat" doesn't belong in DayZ. The sense of isolation and loneliness is a big part of the new player experience and overcoming it by finding other people and communicating with them is a big part of your "progression" in the game.

General chat in the mod was a nightmare. It was 33% people whining and complaining about dying, 33% people asking how to fix broken legs, and 33% people offering free "help" if you meet up with them, and then "trolololing" when they actually turn out to be murderers.

Pass.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 23

No. You are supposed to feel lonely! Radios will provide more depth though as said.

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 4

Nah. Direct is all we need.

I hated all the "I just died on NW, guy on ATC" messages on side chat in the mod

• Like 1

Yeah, i am gonna have to jump on the wagon with this one and vote for the radios option. Gives the game that isolation feel and adds to the suspense of the game. 

two way radios would work, but chances are people using them are already friends outside the game and are using a voice chat. How common do you think it would be to run across a random person and say "Here, take this two-way radio so we could talk to each other".

Plus, with a two mile range, they'd be useless for splitting up. Plus batteries, plus bag space, plus anyone else with a radio listening... yeah, I'll stick to Teamspeak.

Maybe not a continent wide general chat, but why not individual chat zones for each city/village? That way you can't spoil somebody's sniping spot, you don't have to hear about noobs breaking legs, but you could still use it to meet up with friendlies in a particular city.

Oh so there is no General Chat in the Standalone? How do people use voice? Someone was talking to me but I was unable to respond?

Oh so there is no General Chat in the Standalone? How do people use voice? Someone was talking to me but I was unable to respond?

you can hold caps lock and talk

or double tap to lock it on

Nah, I think radios are a better solution.

Yup. Radios are going to provide an amazing metagame. Plenty of room for snooping, trolling other squads, putting out contracts, calling for assistance and providing distractions.

I just hope that people realise that using them provides a way more exciting form of communication than the telepathic link that VOIP provides. No way of forcing them to use them but I certainly will.

• Like 6

No. They should add more communication options like two-way radios, more complicated hand signals

FunnyHandSignals.jpg

• Like 13

i miss global spam / ranting banter :/ and i miss shitting my pants while playing wookie in a bush and someone shouts BANG over global :(

• Like 1

Fuck Global.

Anyone in Cherno..Anyone in Elektro..Why did you shoot me? I HAD NO GEAR !!! ..fag..cockbiter..FUCKING FAGGOT!! .. fag fag fag fag..

fuck global.

• Like 19

Should they bring back General chat?

Only with option to disable it.

For the record: it was never removed, just disabled.

yes just give the option to turn on / off why people get so worked up i dont know.

Because it is like reading constant lines of crap, especially when a bunch of what seems like 13 year olds start fighting when their mum leaves them alone for five minutes.

Real immersive.

An option to totally disable Global would suffice.

• Like 2

No.

No, no, no!

It's out of place for this game. It's directly against what this game should be -- isolation, fear, sense of desperation, lack of awareness of what's going on.

I think its great that they are adding radios, just like ACRE mod. I hope they add the details too, as in Channel frequency and range/power in and out of cars.