CaffeinatedTech

[Suggestion] - Skill system based around crafting and maintenance

So one idea I had that could help people to love their character more than their gear is this.

Skill progression system centered around crafting and maintenance.  This doesn't give anyone a combat advantage so we aren't stretching the already large gap between fresh spawns and kitted out characters.  This gives a cautious player the ability to craft better stuff, and maintain his own equipment.

The fresh spawn knows enough to work out how to tape a torch to his helmet, but couldn't work out how to build a wall that won't fall down, or how to tan a hide and repair a damaged backpack.

Perhaps the largest backpacks in the game could be player crafted by some sort of artisan who has been working with leather for many in-game hours.  Maybe he trades them for other resources.  He could be a hermit living in the forest, in a barricaded fort he built himself, only coming out to hunt dear, gather water and cut wood.

We already have the damage system implemented, we could use that to rank crafted and repaired items.  A novice can patch a hole in his backpack if he had some leather, but can never make it anywhere near pristine again.  The Master can repair it pretty well good as new and the Grand Master can create a whole new backpack from materials he collected and worked himself.

I like the idea of weapon maintenance and degradation too.  IRL if you don't keep your weapon clean and in good working order it will jam all the time, be inaccurate and possibly do harm to the shooter.  This should be a very important thing for snipers, as without skill you can only do so much to maintain that massive rifle.  This makes a really good sniper very nervous about getting killed because he will lose all of that skill and have to rely on other people to fix his weapon.  I don't know, this might lead to more people using overlays to show player positions and aim-botting, but hopefully cut down on people trying to Battlefield in DayZ.  Spawn, sprint to a military area, get lucky and pick up a nice rifle, run back to Elektro and start blasting newbs?  Maybe, but not for long if you can't maintain that beast of a thing.

So what do you think.  Some of this make sense and sound interesting?

I think skills are probably going to be inevitable. There needs to be a way to add more worth to a character than the loot on his back.

As long as we stay away from 'shooting' skills, I'm fine with a skill system like being able to repair a car faster.