ThatSwoleGuy

Level of Weaponry Available (Poll)

Weaponry  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of weaponry balance would be most fun and appropriate for Dayz?

• Mostly military grade weapon equipped players, perhaps 60% or so with about 30% of players using melee (new beach chars) and about 10% using other.
    • Less military grade weapon equipped players, 20-30% with the rest being dispersed between melee weapons and hunting weapons/pistols.
    • High grade weapons are VERY rare, at any one time only 5-10% of players at most would be military equipped and the remaining would be fighting to the last bit of blood with makeshift melee weapons, looted pistols, and low level hunting rifles/shotguns.

DISCLAIMER:

The game IS in alpha, so as you all read this keep in mind that I know that the game is in alpha, and also keep that fact in your mind as well.

Hello everyone, I'd like to start off by saying although this is a freshly green account I have been following the game nearly all the way back to the beginning, even when I didn't have the hardware required to run Arma 2.

I say this not to claim that I know best regarding the game because I've been involved for a long time; I say this to let you all know I have been enjoying DayZ for quite some time, and as long as most around here.

On to the topic at hand; The game would be much more fun if the VAST majority of weapons people find would be handguns (personal defense weapons), melee weapons (also makeshift melee), and perhaps a group of simple hunting weapons (such as bows, xbows, shotguns, and one-shot rifles). Now as stated I don't mean that there would be 0 military grade weapons, I only mean that the vast majority of weapons, and I really mean vast here, would be less efficient weapons. This does not refer to other military equipment, which I think there would be more of anyway on account of military surplus stores and the like.

What would this do for the game? Well I've prepared a list of things I think this idea would do to help make the game better.

Progression

The first point that occurred to me is that progression with such an idea would be greatly improved. As of now while finding a good assault rifle is exciting, it is mostly exciting because finding a weapon in general takes a little while (which is also great in my mind!), however it is not exciting because you've been running around with a beat up 9mm that you managed to find while scrounging about for an hour. There isn't really much sense of progression and I think that my idea above would help give a sense of it (in cooperation with other new features).

Climactic Happenings

My second point is that having a decreased level of weapon arsenal available would do a great amount to add to those movie like moments we all love.

A group of survivors duking it out in the city with some 12 gauges, pistols, and makeshift melee weapons would be much more interesting setting than the military grade oriented PvP.

Imagine you are looting through houses and you are buzzing around every nook and cranny as you always do. You're armed with a Ruger GP100 and you've got a lucky 6 in your cylinder. You hear some footsteps outside and you go to the second story of the house to get a vantage point, low and behold it's another looter (who would have guessed?). He's armed with some generic 9mm pistol and you have no idea what his ammunition situation is, do you call out to him? Do you act with humanity and try and communicate? Well if you do there are only a few things that could happen, and most of those things result in you being pin-cushioned. You decide to wait until his back is turned and you let loose a few rounds. Too bad your aim sucks (and you can't just spray here because you don't have an assault rifle) you only manage to hit him once in the shoulder and he sprints to the next building. For the next few moments you proceed to have a shootout until you run out of bullets, which you didn't have many of to begin with. Now you know you're in trouble and your last chance is to rush him with your hatchet and hope he doesn't have much either, you take off out the door. He hits you once in the leg and you slow down a bit, but you manage to make your way to him and you hack away inhumanely at his flesh. The deed is done, the bout is won, and it looks like he had a good amount of medical supplies and food...

Now while I know I'm not the most entertaining writer, I think the above story is one of the most thrilling situations we see in DayZ and I think there would be more like the above if there weren't so many guns that you allow you to point in someone's direction and blow them away.

Immersion

Now my last point (and most debatable one) is that these changes would add to the immersion and perhaps add to the atmosphere of the game. It would be a much more believable post-apoc situation that before long most military grade weapons would be far and few between. Perhaps this would be because of intense use and poor maintenance of such weapons and their rarity to begin with. When I imagine zombie post-apocalypse weaponry I picture rusty rifles and small weaponry along with any melee weapon an individual can find. I don't imagine survivors running around in full military gear. Perhaps the availableness of such gear can be argued one way or another regarding a real life situation but I think that either way, we would feel much more close to post-apoc if we had lower tier/makeshift gear.

Now I state all of the above perhaps not to persuade you (my writing skills are poor anyway) but to bring up some points that perhaps haven't been thought about in regards to the weaponry. 

So I ask all of you, my fellow DayZ forumites, would you support such a balance?

• Like 10

That third option would be perfect.

Bunch of civilian weapons ruger 1022s, savage 22 bolt action rifles, remington 700s in 223 and .308, cz 527 in 7.62x39 Remington 870s, mosberg 500s , Coach guns side by side shotguns.

Then only a few ultra rare military weapons such as the m4, ak47, svd and rpg7s.

No crazy rare weapons like the fn 2000, scar l or h, no tavor, no acrs or any of that other goofy stuff.

Pick only guns that would make sense.

i agree, but not tons of american hunting weps. there are plenty of russian/czech rifles out there...

• Like 2

Personally I'd like to see a lot of pistols/shotguns and rifle from hunting to even semi auto. Then of course a few military grade with mostly russian type weapons like the AK/SVD

I think m4s and shit should be somewhat common, but I'd like to see the majority of players using common civilian bolt action rifles and shotguns.  Hopefully most people won't be using melee weapons because let's face it, melee in this game is clunky as hell and always will be due to the engine.

My wish: different "low level" weapon (like Mosin) and less uber weapons. In Dayz mod vanilla, Enfield was good only to go from beach to the first random rifle.

Game needs to be harder.

I hate Balota, how could the dev team not image it as a ten second loot up.

Then an hour later they think they're masters at dayZ and proceed to kill every melee only equipped player & newspawn that they come across.

• Like 2

I wanna craft a slingshot out of a bicycle tire and some sticks then knock out the guy with the military gear and steal his firing pins & pee in his canteen.

• Like 4

I think that weapons should have to be maintained with gun kits. That means the trigger happy Fucktards that wont take care of there weapon will be sitting there with there thumbs up there assholes, wondering why there gun is jammed wont fire at the poor fresh spawn!

• Like 4

I love the bolt action WW2 era rifles. So The Mosin would have to stay, but to be honest, I'd prefer if the only scope that fit on it is the current PS02 (?) and no rifle scope. I don't like the idea of more than 2x magnification. At that point you have accuracy with the Mosin at a range other players are harmless and could care less about your existence (>500m) sniping is fine. but sniping at a range where the conflict is pointless is not.

I love the Mosin. it's probably my favorite gun in any game right now, or at least is the most fun to use (and that's coming from someone who platinumed the AN-94 in BFBC2 in two weeks. I loved that gun)

I guess I should say that I want to see hunting rifles and WW2 era relics around. maybe a few AKs, or a really rare find would be a police SVD. but the absolute majority of the players shouldn't ever expect to find anything more powerful than a hunting rifle. BUT I think it should actually be more likely that the player find a low-powered rifle than it is now. I feel the player breakdown should be something like this:

10% - fresh spawns/axe/hatchet

30% - shotguns (hunting shotguns)

50% - hunting rifles/WW2 relics

10% - lower powered military gear (AK, AN-94, nothing that ranges further than 700m or so)

• Like 1

Make loot tables different depending on areas. Somewhat lore friendly. Like all you can find on the coastal/farm towns would be realistically perhaps some guns that people would own in their homes and such. Some police station or such for a bit fancier pistols maybe. Then have some area where the army made last stand. Aka north west far areas where you can find broken up military weaponry that has been left on the weather beaten ground and tents. These would need fixing them to be useful and such making the acquiring of the military weaponry even harder? Have some well sealed kits of spare parts scattered around in some of the high value buildings that people need to hunt for and pick up to do that?

A lot of the discussion here sounds great to me.

Keep in mind that this is not necessarily about the ease of arming up in the game but more about what we should find when we do arm up.

The votes look pretty one sided so far! Let's keep the votes coming in and discussion going. Maybe Rocket has an opinion on this.

I want mostly hunting weapons, handguns, and Soviet weapons.

I don't see how hunting weapons are low-tier though. These days any bolt-action hunting rifles are almost always scoped, the most popular scopes are variables, even the cheap ones are very accurate and expanding ammunition has considerably more devastating effects than FMJ...

• Like 2

How about crafting weapons?

Get some wood, a metal pipe, some gunpowder which you need to make. Pick up some old nuts and boots and you have made yourself a blunderbuss !

The way that I would figure it is that scopes and the like are incredibly rare based on poor maintenance of such things.

My idea is not however entirely based on realism, more based on what would provide a fun post apocalyptic experience, an experience that would more involve close quarters fighting as opposed to instant medium/long range kills.

Essentially a long range rifle would be very rare to see put together.

How about crafting weapons?

Get some wood, a metal pipe, some gunpowder which you need to make. Pick up some old nuts and boots and you have made yourself a blunderbuss !

That's quite the interesting idea!

Not sure on that weapon exactly but I like the mindset.

Have reason to believe we'll be seeing an SVD in-game sometime in the future...

svdm.jpg

I really hope that Rocket takes a look at this, and I sincerely hope that DayZ standalone won't be dominated by long-range military grade rifles.

It seems by our pole that a VAST majority would prefer for the game to at least have MORE low/medium-grade weapons than now/before.

• Like 1

Having too many r700's and Cz's which are high powered rifles would turn the game into a big sniper fest if scopes were readily available. Now having people duking it out in the street with those guns and no sights? that would be fun