Sign in to follow this  
ClassyPenguin

Non-Lethal Options for Disabling Players

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but I think one really cool type of thing this game could use is a variety of non-lethal ways to disable other players.

Obviously there are always going to be players who want to kill-on-sight (I often do), and I think that's a great option for players to have. But on the other hand, a lot of players might WANT to not KOS people immediately, but feel like they have no choice because failing to do so risks their own life/gear. I know I often feel this way.

The handcuffs are obviously a great start, but to make them more useful there needs to be a way to non-lethally disable other players before restraining them. So I haven't really given this a lot of thought, but things like tranquilizer guns, tasers, traps, etc, anything that would basically hold a player still long enough to run up, handcuff them, and take their gear.

Just imagine all the great scenarios this could create! Knock a player out from afar with a tranquilizer dart, steal his equipment while he snoozes for 30 seconds, and then when he wakes up you're gone, his gear is gone, and he's handcuffed! See a survivor you want to talk to? Now you have a safe way to approach them. Tranquilize, handcuff, and talk to them when they are no longer a threat to you.

Just a thought, but I feel like this type of thing would create lots of opportunities for different play styles.

• Like 5

Me and my friends thought it would be funny to handcuff people and feed them all sorts of rotten fruit and make them drink disinfectant spray. Let's just say, if they survived they had one heck of a day trying to recover, I do realize this might be worse than a bullet to the face, but a bullet to the face is certainly not as fun! Well, for the kidnappers anyways. I'd honestly laugh if this happened to me!

Just imagine getting tazed and when you wake up the first thing you realize is that you're blindfolded and handcuffed while four/five guys talk while force feeding you rotten fruit or other deadly-but-not-as-deadly-as-a-bullet foods.

Birdshot. I've been saying it for a while now. We need shotguns and birdshot to load into them. It's extremely painful, non-lethal, and doesn't require electricity.

Also the occasional tazer would be cool too. But only if it were balanced with rarity and maybe a specific type of high voltage battery.

I just really don't like that you can't get into someone's gear until they are handcuffed / tied. 

It puts a bar in front of non-lethal banditry. Really now it is a lot better to try to hold someone up because you won't ruin all their gear, but needing handcuffs (or keys) as a one time use item each time is kind of weird. I'd rather the nice gear than killing someone, but right now needing items to do it makes it a bit counter productive. 

Should be like the mod, If I force someone to sit / lay down I should be able to take their gear. 

• Like 1

@5P4RK4

It really depends what kind of role people want to play. A game like DayZ need some sort of player interaction and player created events like a hold-up to keep it interesting. What role the bandits want to play is totally up to them(Dickheads or slightly less dickheads(In the way I explained above... Drug them down on rotten fruit and don't steal any of their gear. Still a dick move. But it makes the game a bit more entertaining for both parts, most of the time ... ) )

I just really don't like that you can't get into someone's gear until they are handcuffed / tied. 

It puts a bar in front of non-lethal banditry. Really now it is a lot better to try to hold someone up because you won't ruin all their gear, but needing handcuffs (or keys) as a one time use item each time is kind of weird. I'd rather the nice gear than killing someone, but right now needing items to do it makes it a bit counter productive. 

Should be like the mod, If I force someone to sit / lay down I should be able to take their gear. 

You could just force them to drop their gear on the ground...

But I do want the ability to search people's backpacks to be returned. It made exchanging items with friendlies much easier also.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I thought that the blunt force trauma melee weapons were mostly non lethal, hence why they are so ineffective on infected.

Non-lethal option?

* Just punch people and knock them out.

I'm talking about options that would allow you to disable a person without harming them. Also punching someone isn't really going to be a viable option for disabling someone who isn't a newbie or afk. If I want to rob someone, killing them shouldn't be the only way to do it. Some non-lethal options would really add new playstyle options for bandits.

Edited by ClassyPenguin

I thought about this but there needs to be specific protection from such attacks.

Taser stopped by rubber shoe inserts etc.. ? I mean with no protection options this becomes OP

I thought about this but there needs to be specific protection from such attacks.

Taser stopped by rubber shoe inserts etc.. ? I mean with no protection options this becomes OP

Why would it be OP? You currently can't "protect" against lethal attacks, and those result in bigger consequences than these. Getting non-lethally disabled is less punishing than getting killed, so players should be happy to find they've only been tased or knocked out with birdshot.