ninjacalypse

Survivor's Guide to DayZ SA

NeedsFoodBadly's Survivor's guide to DayZ SA

*Preface:

"WARNING: This game is early access alpha. Please do not purchase it unless you want to actively support development of the game and are prepared to handle with serious issues and possible interruption of game functioning."

This is stated in the game's description that hopefully you read before you purchased it and it's also stated in-game when you run it.

Due to this you may experience several bugs related to hunger/thirst, blood regeneration, random unconsciousness, zombies clipping through walls/geometry, getting stuck and items not combining/working to name a few.  You should expect regular updates, character wipes and server restarts.

If you played the DayZ mod for Arma II you may notice changes to hunger/thirst mechanics as well as features from the mod not yet present in DayZ SA.

This guide contains basic tips and suggestions for new players.  This is by no means a definitive guide for "How to win at DayZ."  DayZ is a sandbox survival game.  Don't be afraid to just start walking in any direction or to say hello to other players you meet in game.  The worst thing that can happen is you die and respawn…and even that isn't so bad.

Background:

DayZ began as an independent mod for Arma II, created by Dean "Rocket" Hall.  DayZ SA takes place in a roughly 230 kilometer map.  This is not a "twitch" shooter and it's not Left4Dead.  It is an extreme survival simulation…with zombies.

In DayZ you play the role of a survivor, featuring a persistent character and permadeath.  What this means is that you can switch servers at any time and whatever gear you have on you will remain across servers.  If you die, you respawn as a normal survivor with default gear, i.e. flashlight/basic clothes.

Washed Up:

As a new survivor (or a respawn) you will spawn randomly along the coastline of Chernarus, either on the south or east coast.

The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the basic controls.  You can access these from the menu (esc) and selecting controls-assignments.  Additional controls can be accessed from the dropdown at the top of the control assignment menu.  You can reconfigure the controls based on your own personal preferences.

The main things to know starting out are how to switch between run/walk mode (default: shift/w-twice to run, shift twice to change mode), prone/crouch/stand (default: z/x/c), vault/jump (default: v), raise item/weapon (default: spacebar), use/activate item/climb up/down (default: f, scrollwheel to select between multiple actions), attack/fire (default: mouse1), zoom (default: mouse2) and inventory (default: tab).

Inventory:

Open your inventory (default: tab).  You should have a basic set of clothes as well as a flashlight and a 9v battery.  Click and drag the 9v battery to the flashlight then select 'attach to' in the context menu.

Now drag the flashlight to the hotbar to the first slot at the bottom of the screen.  You can also drag items directly to your hands to equip them.  To remove items from your hotbar, simply click and drag them off the hotbar and they will disappear.  If an item is white on your hotbar it means you no longer have it in your possession.

Now, that the flashlight is on your hotbar you can use "1" or the number corresponding to the hotbar slot to pull it out or put it away.  Once you have pulled it out, you can then ready it with spacebar (default).  This mechanic is the same for other items, weapons, etc.

It isn't recommended that you run around with a flashlight on all the time because it will drain the battery needlessly and also attract other players, often bandits and looters who will have no moral qualms about killing you simply for your battery.

Now what:

Most DayZ veterans recommend new spawns should move inland as soon as they can.  You won't find many supplies on the coast and it generally makes you a nearly defenseless target for bandits and zombies when you're just starting out.

With nothing held, you can ready your fists with spacebar (default) and punch with mouse1.  Generally speaking though, you want to avoid fist fights with zombies or other players as you will most likely sustain damage and start off in bad shape or dead.

You can crouch, prone or just walk to avoid the attention of zombies.  Running will attract their attention but if you see one you and they're already coming after you, you probably should run.

Be aware though that running will make you hungry/thirsty quicker than walking.

Avoid towns/military camps/airfields near the coastline.  They are usually camped by bandits and zombies that have a tendency to spawn out of nowhere.

Don't be afraid of the dark, scary woods as you usually won't meet a lot of zombies out there if any.

The first thing to do is determine your direction.  There are tools in-game to help with this, such as the compass, gps, maps, etc. but if you don't have any of these you can use the northern star/cloud/sun cues as well.  See the link below for basic navigation tips:

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Navigating

Note: Currently, compasses do not glow in the dark like they did in the original DayZ mod, however if you hold it in your hand and then open your inventory, the compass will show with what direction you're facing.  The long line on the compass indicates north.  Also, the DayZ wiki at gamepedia is still in process of changing over from the DayZ mod to DayZ SA so some information in the wiki, may still be throwback to the DayZ mod or talk about features that haven't been fully implemented in DayZ SA yet.

If you're near the edge of a town, look for signs on the road going out or in to the town for the town name.  Just be aware that these names will be in Russian, i.e. if you're in the town of Bor the signs will actually read "Бор."

If you don't mind spoilers, then take a look at the interactive map here and familiarize yourself with Chernarus.  Once you know where you are you can plan where you want to go next.

http://www.dayzdb.com/map

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Chernarus%2B

A good goal for new survivors is to find a small town and look for water, food and general loot.

Some good items to keep a lookout for are clothes with extra inventory slots, backpacks, refillable water bottle/canteen, food, drinks and weapons.

You generally won't find guns in towns but you may find items like a splitting axe.  Once you have at least a basic splitting axe you will at least be able to handle zombies one on one.

Currently, there are some issues with loot not respawning on servers unless the server is restarted however you can log out of your current server, select another server and then loot the town again if it hasn't been looted on that server already too.  While this isn't necessarily in the spirit of the game and I wouldn't recommend it normally, it's a work-around for heavily looted servers at the moment.  Alternatively, there are some servers that are running server restarts every X hours, to work around the loot respawn issue.  You may try finding one of those servers to play on. 

If you're having trouble picking an item up, while close to it open your inventory (default: tab) and on the left you will see a 'vicinity' box.  From there you can drag items you don't want to vicinity or drag items from vicinity to your inventory.

Status Effects:

The first conditions you will experience in DayZ SA, especially if you've been running around are hunger and thirst.  When you first spawn you will already be hungry and thirsty.  Towns are usually good places to find food however you're usually more likely to find rotten fruit.  It is highly recommended you not eat rotten fruit as it will cause more problems than the hunger.

If you eat rotten fruit, it will make you sick. 

You may find various canned foods and sodas.  Some food items (including some can food items) can be opened without a tool by simply right clicking on them and select open from the context menu however, many canned items require a can opener or other tool to open.

To open them, drag a can opener, axe, knife or similar object on top of the canned food item then select open from the context menu.  Using something besides a can opener may slightly damage or "spill" some of the food out.  (Personally, I wouldn't be too proud to lick beans off of the floor)

Don't' worry about conserving food and water too much.  The more you eat and drink, the longer you will be able to go without being pestered by hunger/thirst messages.  You will get a message in-game if you're feeling full or over-fed.  You should stop eating/drinking at that point to avoid getting sick.

When full (It will say "Healthy" on the inventory screen), you should begin regenerating blood (health).  This may be currently bugged at the moment though.

You can find water in forest streams or from spigots in towns.  If you can you should find a water bottle or canteen.  Canteens can usually be found around military camps.  Plastic bottles can be found in various towns.

If you tangle with a zombie or another player and make it out alive but bleeding, you can select a shirt from your inventory and right click and select tear into rags from the context menu.  These rags can then be applied to stop bleeding.

If you have an alcohol tincture or disinfectant spray it is recommended to use this before applying a rag or a bandage.

Be aware, that alcohol tincture is currently bugged and will give you a "sick" status message after using which will resolve after a short period of time.

There is a chance when wounded to get infected, which can be treated with antibiotics or vitamins however infected status may not display properly.    There are other ways to cure infection which are not currently implemented.

Other status effects may require more serious medical attention.  Be aware, that not all status effects and treatment for status effects have been fully implemented yet. 

A new mechanic for DayZ SA are how blood bags work.  Blood bags can be used to restore blood to a player however these generally require various medical supplies and a blood test kit to find out your blood type or another player's blood type.  If you do not do a blood type test on yourself or another player, the blood may not be compatible.  This feature is still a work in progress as well.

You can read more about hunger/thirst and other status effects including bleeding/broken bones/etc. here:

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects

GUNS!

Okay, okay…so you want to know about guns.  Generally, these can be found along with various weapon attachments in military camps or airfields.  Bolota which can be found along the southern coastline is a popular one.  However, it's also popular for bandits and you will also have to deal with some zombies spawning there as well.

The other two popular spots are NWAF (North Western Airfield) and NEAF (North Eastern Airfield), however there are many other military camps peppered throughout Chernarus.

Once you find a gun, you will still need a compatible magazine and bullets for it as well.

You should be aware that firing guns may attract zombies/more zombies as well as alert other survivors to your position.

I'm Friendly!

You will find all sorts of survivors in the wastes of Chernarus.  The type of survivor you're most likely to encounter is the bandit.  They will either KoS (kill/shoot on sight) or may feign friendliness in order to get you to let your guard down.  Working in groups, one may greet you and try to talk to you while another attacks you from behind.  Some may even kill you just for fun even if it's apparent you have nothing of value.

You can give another player a friendly salute (default: f1) or raise both hands to signal you're just giving up.

You may also encounter blood bandits, players who will capture you alive usually using handcuffs to forcibly take your blood for use in blood transfusions.  They may either employ a catch and release program or just take your blood and then kill you too.

Note: Logging out while captured or unconscious will cause you to die/respawn.  If you are unconscious and wish to respawn immediately you can also do so by opening the menu and selecting respawn.

You may also encounter lawful or ambivalent players or groups.  A group may accept you as a member or may just be passing through and not want any trouble.  They may tell you to drop any weapon you're carrying and may steal some items too.  

Sometimes, someone may offer to group with you and at some later point or when you find some good loot, betray you and kill you.

There isn't really any black or white in how you choose to play the game or how others do.  The choices you make are up to you.

Currently, there don't appear to be any game mechanics implemented that reward or punish player interactions but there may be some type of karma system implemented later.

Get off the Coast already!

Seriously, get off the coast.  To sum up, DayZ is a work in progress and again, this guide isn't definitive but it should get you off on the right foot.  Most important of all though, don't get overly pent-up about dying.  Don't be so afraid of losing gear, that you don't have fun.  Now, go have fun, eat some beans and explore Chernarus!

If you have any suggestions on changes/additions to this guide or general comments feel free to post below!

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 17

Just bumping for general awareness and requesting feedback.

why no replies ?

Well, it's got a whole lot of views so that's good. If we can convince just one new player not to just randomly run around the coast... :P

Its bloody freaking long thats why no replies :P Let me finish reading and I'll give some feedback.

Ok decent tutorial for a very new player explaining the basics of how the game works. Might want to explain the healthy/sick/healing mechanics more as they are pretty important and fairly complicated. Actually here I'll just copy over something I post earlier.

1. Make sure to clean any wounds you may have gotten with alcohol tincture and/or use anitbiotics. Having infected wounds will NOT show up as being sick. Also, after using the alcohol Tincture it will show as you being "sick" for a bit, but you get the message that "Your wounds hurt less." Then you get "Your wounds are healed." and the sickness goes away.

1a. If you have the "sick" indicator in your inventory and you have not used the alcohol tincture then you most likely need antibiotics. If you get the message "My mouth feels numb/funny" Then try using charcoal tabs/epi-pen. DO NOT EAT ROTTEN FOOD!

2. It takes a lot more food that just a box of cereal and a couple cans to get full. On average going from first stage "hungry" to "stomach is full" takes me a dozen cans of food. That's right, 12 cans of food on average.

3. Drink at a well to get full on water AFTER you have eaten. Spam "F" key is the easiest as it takes quite a lot.

4. Make sure to take some vitamins if you got them.

5. Once healthy and full on food/water you will then start to regen health and the "Healing" message will appear in inventory. Doesn't matter if you move or stay still, health regens either way.
Edited by Zogvarn

Its bloody freaking long thats why no replies :P Let me finish reading and I'll give some feedback.

Ok decent tutorial for a very new player explaining the basics of how the game works. Might want to explain the healthy/sick/healing mechanics more as they are pretty important and fairly complicated.

I added some additional notes under status effects.  The only issue is right now many status effects along with the various ways to cure them aren't implemented entirely or properly.

Just started playing today. This was insanely helpful and made it quickly become less stressful of an experience. Thank you!

• Like 1

Just started playing today. This was insanely helpful and made it quickly become less stressful of an experience. Thank you!

Hey, thanks! I appreciate it!

I tried to find a guide like this myself when I started the DayZ SA that was specific to the SA Alpha, only found scattered tips here and there so I put this together.  SA isn't tooooo different from the DayZ mod but it's different enough and there seem to be a lot of people who are brand new to DayZ entirely so I figured this would be helpful.

Can I just add print out a map of Chernarus and stick it on yer wall beside your monitor, best thing I ever done and after a while you'll need it less and less as you learn the terrain and a little Russian!

I dont know if its in the SA yet I've only got 45mins on xmas day playing it so far due to work/real life but if you find: knife, hatchet, matches, water bottle you need never enter a town again unless you really want to or get extremely unlucky with a disease. Hope this stuffs in the SA or coming to it soon!

Can I just add print out a map of Chernarus and stick it on yer wall beside your monitor, best thing I ever done and after a while you'll need it less and less as you learn the terrain and a little Russian!

I dont know if its in the SA yet I've only got 45mins on xmas day playing it so far due to work/real life but if you find: knife, hatchet, matches, water bottle you need never enter a town again unless you really want to or get extremely unlucky with a disease. Hope this stuffs in the SA or coming to it soon!

I've been using my Ipad but the map on DayZDB is really laggy on the browser.  It's one of those google type maps for those that aren't familiar with it.  Printing it out would probably be a sight better.  A step up from that, would be getting an actual foldable map print although Chernarus will probably be going through some changes so I think I'll hold off on that for now.

Just want to point out that this looks exactly like the guide on the DayZ wiki.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Guides_%26_Tutorials#Survivor.27s_Guide_to_DayZ_SA

EDIT: Lol, nevermind. Found the credits at the bottom of the guide. Sorry for disturbing :P

Heh, no probs.  It's all good.  Yeah, I stuck it up on the wiki too since it was a mostly empty page at the time that said "put guides here" so...that's what I did, aside from the videos that someone else has been putting on the page like, "How to use a flashlight" which I think is a little minute for one single video but it's all good.

Really good starter guide, just sent it to my brother who is new to DayZ world :)

Thanks!

Hey all,

I literally just joined this game and this is really helpful. I kinda like the game just was really lost for a bit. lol Keep it up.

This isn't like the mod where you can kill animals and cook them for food. At least not yet, it is supposed to be coming. :)

So for now you will have to enter town to get food from buildings.

Edit: Oh and welcome to the new players :D Good luck to you.

Edited by Zogvarn

Really good starter guide, just sent it to my brother who is new to DayZ world :)

Thanks!

Hey all,

I literally just joined this game and this is really helpful. I kinda like the game just was really lost for a bit. lol Keep it up.

Thanks! Welcome to the apocalypse!

This isn't like the mod where you can kill animals and cook them for food. At least not yet, it is supposed to be coming. :)

So for now you will have to enter town to get food from buildings.

Yeah, there's still a lot of work to be done and features that haven't been implemented or fully implemented yet.

Thank you for posting this.  I'm new to DAYZ and I thought I'd be able to just jump in and wing it, but that proved to be really frustrating.  After reading this I did a lot better the second time around.  Looking forward to any future tips you can offer.

Thank you for posting this.  I'm new to DAYZ and I thought I'd be able to just jump in and wing it, but that proved to be really frustrating.  After reading this I did a lot better the second time around.  Looking forward to any future tips you can offer.

Thanks, I'll try and keep this updated as the Alpha progresses and more features are implemented.

A couple of suggestions for brand new players:

1) Pick a low population server to start with.  The less people there are on a server, the more likely you are to find loot and less likely to run into bandits right away.  Get used to playing, looting and avoiding zombies, without all the competition.

2) When you first spawn and you start looting for food and drink, for efficiency purposes, skip any building with an open door, it's already been looted.  There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get your first meal and not finding anything till you've searched numerous houses.  Those buildings may not be completely empty, but if it's near a spawn point, they're likely void of anything you need, since some other new spawn has already been through there.

3) Until you're either really good at melee combat or you have an axe (preferably the fireman axe, but the splitting axe will do also), don't engage the zombies, you'll lose.  You can easily out run them and after you've gotten far enough away from them, they'll give up.

A couple of suggestions for brand new players:

1) Pick a low population server to start with.  The less people there are on a server, the more likely you are to find loot and less likely to run into bandits right away.  Get used to playing, looting and avoiding zombies, without all the competition.

2) When you first spawn and you start looting for food and drink, for efficiency purposes, skip any building with an open door, it's already been looted.  There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get your first meal and not finding anything till you've searched numerous houses.  Those buildings may not be completely empty, but if it's near a spawn point, they're likely void of anything you need, since some other new spawn has already been through there.

3) Until you're either really good at melee combat or you have an axe (preferably the fireman axe, but the splitting axe will do also), don't engage the zombies, you'll lose.  You can easily out run them and after you've gotten far enough away from them, they'll give up.

Yeah, if you don't have at least an axe it's best to run away from the zombies.  If you do have a decent weapon though, I find it's best to to just stir up the zombies and get them in an open area where you can kill them easily.

Since this is an alpha right now, the buggers can walk through fences, walls, doors, etc. and while you're trying to sneak by them and not aggro them, they'll end up chasing after you anyway and if you're not expecting it they clip right through walls and doors, sometimes they're halfway through the floor while you're trying to go through your inventory, so I just stir up the nest and take them head-on to avoid all that mess at least until zombie pathing/clipping is properly fixed.

Yeah, if you don't have at least an axe it's best to run away from the zombies.  If you do have a decent weapon though, I find it's best to to just stir up the zombies and get them in an open area where you can kill them easily.

Since this is an alpha right now, the buggers can walk through fences, walls, doors, etc. and while you're trying to sneak by them and not aggro them, they'll end up chasing after you anyway and if you're not expecting it they clip right through walls and doors, sometimes they're halfway through the floor while you're trying to go through your inventory, so I just stir up the nest and take them head-on to avoid all that mess at least until zombie pathing/clipping is properly fixed.

I learned that lesson the hard way, about them walking through walls.  I had one chasing me, so I went in the back door of a house and out the front door, shutting it behind me.  I stopped to admire my skills and to taunt the zombie about how I had just trapped him in the house, till he walked right through the door causing me to, one, soil myself and two, take off running while screaming back over my shoulder "I'm friendly bro, don't eat me".

If you have a gun and multiple zombies aggroing on you, it's pretty easy to get a CoD style zombie train going behind you, which can be mowed down fairly quickly with just a couple of shots.  You can clean out a whole town in one pass if you do it right, easy looting after that.

I learned that lesson the hard way, about them walking through walls.  I had one chasing me, so I went in the back door of a house and out the front door, shutting it behind me.  I stopped to admire my skills and to taunt the zombie about how I had just trapped him in the house, till he walked right through the door causing me to, one, soil myself and two, take off running while screaming back over my shoulder "I'm friendly bro, don't eat me".

Lol, yeah...Zombies don't care bout no walls! :P

They do seem to be unable to circumnavigate stairs at the moment though.

Here's a couple silly questions:

When one presses the "L" button aren't flashlights, headlamps, weapon attached lights, supposed to go on and off? I have to go into the inventory, right click item, and click "turn on" or "turn off" every time. It's a bit cumbersome. Also, I have my weapon in the hot bar, but when I go to access it by pressing "1" it inevitably fails the first time and only works on the second attempt. Not sure if these are known bugs or if anyone else has experienced similar issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It should be noted that I use a keyboard with no number pad. 

Thanks!

Here's a couple silly questions:

When one presses the "L" button aren't flashlights, headlamps, weapon attached lights, supposed to go on and off? I have to go into the inventory, right click item, and click "turn on" or "turn off" every time. It's a bit cumbersome. Also, I have my weapon in the hot bar, but when I go to access it by pressing "1" it inevitably fails the first time and only works on the second attempt. Not sure if these are known bugs or if anyone else has experienced similar issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It should be noted that I use a keyboard with no number pad. 

Thanks!

As far as I know a toggle for all lights hasn't been implemented yet.  As far as issues with the hotbar, that seems to happen to me sometimes when I'm switching items as well.  It can sometimes be due to connection issues/lag though as well.

So yeah, overall a lot of features haven't been implemented fully or at all yet but according to Rocket the game won't hit official release for over a year from now so plenty of time to fix them hopefully.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 1