current1y

Suggestion: multiple characters

Lets face it, In general games are more fun when not played solo. I have numerous friends who play but obviously not 247 so I find myself going on epic journeys across the map with 1 person only to find myself wanting to play again when they aren't online but another buddy is. They maybe happen to have a fresh spawn and it would take a few hours to meet up some where potentially. I often find myself wanting to change characters so I can either meet up with them. 

I understand there could be ramifications to this. One large one would be to using 1 character as a loot mule and storing all the good shit A solution would be to make it so items dropped from character A could not be picked up by character B. Or items dropped from character A aren't visible to character B.

Is this a good or bad idea?

• Like 2

how do people change their ingame name? I've seen some that I'm pretty sure aren't their Steam names (usually because they're incredibly offensive)

no.

I LOVE the fact that you have ONE character. If you are on the opposite side of the map from your friend, you really are on the opposite side.
Plan you meeting, and survive the journey.

AAAADVEEEENTUUUUURETIIIIIME

• Like 3

In game names are steam names. And yes, people can be incredibly offensive.

• Like 1

no no no no no no!!1 don't make shity War Z from it!!!!!

I was actually thinking about it.

Like right now, I would like to PLAY but I travel and have an adventure with my friend and he is currently offline... Do I have to wait hours for him?
I would not like to screw up our progress and then travel kilometers to him. Yeah. 

I think at least 2 slots would be fine for having more fun then just waiting for my squad.   :emptycan:

Edited by papriCZka
  • Like 5

Like right now, I would like to PLAY but I travel and have an adventure with my friend and he is currently offline... Do I have to wait hours for him?

I would not like to screw up your progress and then travel kilometers to him. Yeah. 

I think at least 2 slots would be fine for having more fun then just waiting for my squad.   :emptycan:

+1

• Like 1

Having two characters would be great. At least that way, I could play with my a squad and then a friends.

In game names are steam names. And yes, people can be incredibly offensive.

unfortunately you're probably right

I have to admit, In the end I bought two copies of OA for this very reason. I enjoy playing with some old high school buddied. We live in 3 different timezones, some of us are married, and so on. Getting three or four of us together for a single play session was rare, and generally spontaneous. So I started playing two separate characters. One on my own, and one with the group. It just saves travel time and maximizes the time I have with friends.

how do people change their ingame name? I've seen some that I'm pretty sure aren't their Steam names (usually because they're incredibly offensive)

You can have different ingame (profile) and account names. You can change your profile name in the steam client.

• Like 1

Multiple characters is not good for the game. It is highly exploitable and also promotes trolling and deathmatching. Consequence is important!

• Like 1

Multiple chars have also many bad things, like bringing more chars on the same place - multiple "lifes" just messes up the game.

But is it a game for me if I can't play it without my friend?  <_<
​The only option is actually to buy a new acc with the game.

Edited by papriCZka

I'm not sure the increase in "deathmatching" would be noticeable over what we see in the mod or what we are seeing in SA. Rocket has tried in the past to limit it, without success.

I would not like to screw up our progress and then travel kilometers to him. Yeah. 

I wholeheartedly agree.

Two is good. One for lonewolfing and one for the squad.

making it abuse proof is pretty much easy, you could put a time limit on joining the same server with the other character

unless you can point out exactly how this would be soooo baaad you don't really have a point.

Edited by SoWeMeetAgain

Rocket has said this is a good idea and he will be thinking about it with his team on a stream he did.

I'm not sure the increase in "deathmatching" would be noticeable over what we see in the mod or what we are seeing in SA. Rocket has tried in the past to limit it, without success.

Maybe, or maybe people would just use their alternates to troll and deathmatch without consequence.

making it abuse proof is pretty much easy, you could put a time limit on joining the same server with the other character

unless you can point out exactly how this would be soooo baaad you don't really have a point.

Take a fresh spawn and go to all the high risk areas to get loot without having to care about dying because your main is perfectly safe. Share the loot with your buddies and then get it from them.

Drop all your gear except your weapons and go to any populated area to raise hell, troll new spawns, or attack an enemy with little consequence. 

By giving someone an alternate you basically ruin all the positive results of implementing consequence into the game which has been something that the devs have spent a lot of time working on improving.  

Edited by xInfinityx
  • Like 1

Take a fresh spawn and go to all the high risk areas to get loot without having to care about dying because your main is perfectly safe. Share the loot with your buddies and then get it from them.

Drop all your gear except your weapons and go to any populated area to raise hell, troll new spawns, or attack an enemy with little consequence. 

By giving someone an alternate you basically ruin all the positive results of implementing consequence into the game which has been something that the devs have spent a lot of time working on improving.  

1) Not different now. Just have your gear with your buddies instead of your "other character" and you have the same thing you are describing with one character. Invalid point.

2) Invalid point with 1) and the time limit on joining the same server with the other character as described above#

3) no, you're wrong, as I just showed

1) Not different now. Just have your gear with your buddies instead of your "other character" and you have the same thing you are describing with one character. Invalid point.

2) Invalid point with 1) and the time limit on joining the same server with the other character as described above#

3) no, you're wrong, as I just showed

Not the same thing at all. Helping yourself is not the same as other helping you.

.and I just drop my shit somewhere, log off and wait out the timer and go get it on my other.

A timer might stop abuse in combat situations but it won't prevent walking storage characters (or mule toons if you've ever played wow).

Who wouldn't have a character at every loot hotspot on the map.

Edited by RogueNZ

If it's really that important to your enjoyment of the game, you can buy a second copy. That's what we did during the mod.

Since items can have properties now, you could implement that any item your first character ever took into his hands, can not be picked up by your second one. Easy fix.

Not the same thing at all. Helping yourself is not the same as other helping you.

.and I just drop my shit somewhere, log off and wait out the timer and go get it on my other.

A timer might stop abuse in combat situations but it won't prevent walking storage characters (or mule toons if you've ever played wow).

Who wouldn't have a character at every loot hotspot on the map.

*rolleyes* why do you assume the timer will be 10 seconds?

Most servers restart every few hours. The timeout could be 12

"who wouldn't have a character at every loot hotspot on the map" there is exactly one loot hotspot on the map? Or did you not notice we only want two chars?

And yes, the thing I described is the exact same "thing" as what was described before, just using one character less.

You guys have no arguments.