Sign in to follow this  
kragz

Why are people complaining about KOS like it's a feature issue?

It's part of DayZ and always will be. I like to sometimes KOS, or sometimes communicate before I kill depending on how I feel. If you want to run around in the woods making bases than there is a game called Minecraft available on Xbox Live Arcade. Just make sure you ask permission from your parents before you subscribe!

Peace out.

• Like 2

It's a problem of people generalizing about KoS.

Rocket has expressed a marked interest in adding weight/consequence to KoS. That's what'll happen in the development cycle of the Standalone.

He hasn't even come close to dismissing it entirely, but as it stood in the Mod, it was a consequence-less system. It is an issue, but not an issue of "Will we have it or not?"

• Like 2

KoS is a part of call-of-duty-deathmacth gameplay and is brought to DayZ by cod-kiddies. Extreme survival situation is not about running around gunning everyone. Not trying to offend but that's true.

• Like 8

KoS is a part of call-of-duty-deathmacth gameplay and is brought to DayZ by cod-kiddies. Extreme survival situation is not about running around gunning everyone. Not trying to offend but that's true.

The learning curve for this game is MUCH higher than call of duty. Extreme survival DEFINITELY includes killing people for any supplies. Your attempt at dismissing the people who wish to play this sandbox game differently and just as legitimately as you just comes across as a tired whine. It's people like you whose tears taste so sweet and encourage people to deathmatch. You have encouraged me to log on and shoot a few bambis and I wasn't even going to play today.

• Like 4

There will always be people who kos. You can try to be more carefull around cities, watch your surroundings and listen for any noise. 

It's kinda realistic too in a way, in real life apocalypse there would be people who don't care about human lives and seing as there are no laws preventing them for killing somebody, they would be very trigger happy.

Also may ba panic induced if they are geared.

Gear is kinda a double edged sword here i believe. If it's abundant, people shoot on sight, if it's rare like right now though, people will be even more carefull not to loose their gear and just pull the trigger rather that risking.

The scarcity of firearms is great though. Less people will have access to guns, and those who do will try to preserve ammo for that one time when they get stuck in a building with a horde outside, or just for defenthing themselves against another bandit, and probably won't waste it shooting another survivor for an extra flashlight battery

The learning curve for this game is MUCH higher than call of duty. Extreme survival DEFINITELY includes killing people for any supplies. Your attempt at dismissing the people who wish to play this sandbox game differently and just as legitimately as you just comes across as a tired whine. It's people like you whose tears taste so sweet and encourage people to deathmatch. You have encouraged me to log on and shoot a few bambis and I wasn't even going to play today.

Wow, such anger.

Let's see... yes, learning curve is higher and that is ok.

Survival does not include killing because a) dead body can't do any job for you b) can't became your friend and watch your back c) requires some unneeded risk and expenditure of ammunition d) can draw unneeded attention e) lots of other factors .

Rest of the post is unrelated and is a poor attempt to provoke me. Have fun, whine less.

• Like 5

It's up to people how they play. Generally, I don't go head hunting and I might even help other people, but if I see a guy with a gun while I'm standing behind him an axe in my hand....it's tempting. You don't know if the guy will shoot you in the head if you just say Hi. Teaming up is nice but very risky. In extreme survival situation you will want to secure your own ass first. That said, running and gunning is a quick way to make your location known and that's not good at all. At the moment I'm fully geared with m4 and loads of ammo. I have food and drinks for an army. And a can opener! I will shoot anyone who looks even a litlle suspicious without warning.

If/when the KoS deterrent comes, I hope that it will be some kind of item destruction system. I don't want to wear rags on my head nor do I want a big, flashy arrow on top of my head saying "PK".

dead-horse.gif

I'm never going to get tired of this gif, unlike the KoS topics brought up every 20 minutes when someone gets killed in-game and comes here to bitch.

Edited by Tremu1ant

The issue is that other people in real life would have something beyond the crap on their back to bring to the mix of a group. In the game your character value is for the most part your gear. So for most lone wolves all another player tends to be false under two categories: Threat or Loot. Since both categories work well with putting a bullet into that other players head that is what they do. That is a system issue. 

In real life during something like this you might want to NOT run around shooting everyone you see because all those other people might have valuable skills and you can't tell what they are with a quick glance what what they are wearing and carrying. That guy might be a Dr. or First Responder and could end up saving your life if you fall ill or get hurt. That guy might be a mechanic and can get a car running from spare parts. Heck,  pencil pusher accountant might be able to look at some records in an office and tell you where a supply of food might be cached from the receipts.

The other thing that pushes it is death not meaning anything. You die, you respawn, you gear up. You don't care about the avatar since there is nothing about it that it took effort to get. In some cases you were lucky, in others it was a small time investment,  and in yet others you farmed loot server hopping so who cares you can do it again. People who don't care about that life just charge in and do it all over. For them that becomes the game. Not how long can I stay alive, but how quickly can I be able to kill someone else. It's a reversal of the idea behind the game. 

It's fine to always have that threat but I have already been killed with literally nothing but the starter gear you drop with which means I was killed to no advantage to the person killing me. THAT is KoS not, "Oh... he has a gun and doesn't realize we are here. We could ambush him when he comes out of that house and then have a gun as well as Axes."

• Like 6

KoS is a part of call-of-duty-deathmacth gameplay and is brought to DayZ by cod-kiddies.

Not only does rocket disagree with you based on what he has said in the past, but he absolutely despises phrases like "cod-kiddies."

Not that you necessarily need to care what rocket thinks, but it's worth noting that your views on the subject differ greatly from his.

Not only does rocket disagree with you based on what he has said in the past, but he absolutely despises phrases like "cod-kiddies."

Not that you necessarily need to care what rocket thinks, but it's worth noting that your views on the subject differ greatly from his.

I agree - I don't play COD ;)

I used to "kos". I'm 31. I've also played a lot of COD. I like twitch-shooters.

This time, I'm trying to play the "hero". I've met 3-4 guys I probably could've shot so far, and I didn't. It's a new experience, and I kinda like it.

However, I will probably start shooting first later on. We'll see. Thing is, every playstyle is allowed. That's the beauty of this game.

The issue is that other people in real life would have something beyond the crap on their back to bring to the mix of a group...That guy might be a Dr. or First Responder... mechanic... pencil pusher accountant

Interesting ideas, but you're basically describing the equivalent of skills or character classes which I don't think are really planned features for DayZ.

Personally, while the idea is intriguing, I would hate to see DayZ take steps in the direction of the cookie-cutter MMO structure of certain "classes" which are required to achieve certain goals. The first time I see a post like "Guild LF First Responder to raid NWF" I'm going to pack it up and quit.

There are already a lot of very tangible benefits to grouping up with other players in the game like additional inventory space, variety of weapons, extra eyeballs to watch your back, people who are naturally skilled with different types of weapons, etc.

But, these are not enough to get people to randomly "group" with strangers, and I just don't see that as a major problem. Personally I don't want a game that pushes me toward playing with complete randoms. Random people are untrustworthy, often unskilled, frequently obnoxious, loud, rude, etc. The last thing I want is to be forced to drag them along through the wasteland of Chernarus because they have a particular item or skill that I "really need" to accomplish a goal.

KoSing isnt that big of a problem and its a pretty big part of the game.  Walking around the woods or small towns expecting a bullet to the brain is part of the tension.  I am guilty of panicking and KoSing some people ive seen out in the middle of nowhere, but I always pay for it in some way.  1.Zombies hurt me bad, 2. He has a friend with him I didn't see 3.The gunfight took my health down to unplayable or broke my leg.  When I play now I am much more careful and methodical when approaching areas that could have players. 

THIS is the problem.... The CoD kiddies that spawn near elektro-cherno and just run around grabbing the weapons they can, then they kill each other like a death-match and repeat.  Those ppl kill the game for me.  And I don't understand why, there is no ladder, no kill counter, nobody even knows whose doing the killing, wtf is the point!?  This is a survival game and if the development team starts taking counter measures for those KoS players they will leave and make the game more enjoyable.  To me best way to get ride of KoSer is make the zombies much more scary.  I am not sure what they mean by adding consequences to PvP interactions and killing each other.  Its a tight rope to walk, I don't want KoSer gone completely, but I would like it to be regulated fairly well.

• Like 1

If you want to run around in the woods making bases than there is a game called Minecraft available on Xbox Live Arcade. Just make sure you ask permission from your parents before you subscribe!

Your attempt at dismissing the people who wish to play this sandbox game differently and just as legitimately as you just comes across as a tired whine.

lol.

• Like 4

I am not sure what they mean by adding consequences to PvP interactions and killing each other.  Its a tight rope to walk, I don't want KoSer gone completely, but I would like it to be regulated fairly well.

Well, there are some natural consequences, some of which you mentioned like Zombies being attracted to the area and if they are harder to deal with then making noise becomes a bad thing. Gear destruction is a natural consequence. I've been killed 3 times and had a guy combat log on me. However I know that in taking me down all those guys that killed me... and the combat logger that tried... probably have some pretty messed up gear as well as being low on health because blood was squirting out of them.  So all that gear they found, is now probably at the "ruined" state and my gear, which wasn't always pristine is now also at the ruined state which means they are alive, but their gear is messed up. Had that firefight not occurred then their gear would still be in good condition. Eventually having ruined gear will mean it really won't function and so firefights might leave the survivor in worse shape than if he had just let the other guy go his way. 

lol.

The Irony is killing you too? My thought was, BF4 just released, why are we trying to play DayZ SA like it is BF4?

• Like 2

KoS is always going to exist, and it should.  If it were a real zombie apocalypse / survival situation, you'd have some people doing the same thing.  Maybe they would be bandits, or thinking they were acting in self defense, or maybe they would just be so desperate for supplies that they had no choice, but they'd be doing it.  You wouldn't survive very long in the real world trying to run up and make friends with every random stranger you find strolling around with an arsenal of weapons strapped to them.  You would either avoid people, or take them out before they did the same to you.

Besides, not everyone is going to want to play this game the same way.  That's what makes player encounters intense, because you have no idea what other people are going to do.  Perfect example: a friend and I are running around last night and get surrounded by a squad of very well armed players (probably server hopped until they were all loaded up with fully modded M4s and other gear, but that's beside the point).  Clearly, these guys wanted to disarm us and take us as prisoners, or maybe just get us to stop moving so they could kill us without wasting bullets and then take our food.  Either way, they approached very aggressively with guns drawn and tried to order us to surrender.  Sorry, but we have no interest in being led around for hours handcuffed, having people drain our blood, bark orders at us like we are pets, etc... We took a couple of them out with our axes, died, respawned, and continued playing on our new characters.  As far as I'm concerned, it was self defense, and even if they had approached in a more friendly manner, we'd have probably done the same thing.

Now, maybe people will say that what we did is the entire problem, because we knew we could just respawn and start over again.  That's not realistic, right?  When all is said and done, it's still just a game.  Short of hooking everyone up to their computer and administering a lethal injection upon in-game death, you're never going to get people to play as if they only have one life.  And even then, you'd still have KoS.  In fact, you'd probably have even more KoS because who is seriously going to trust somebody they just met with their life?

I know there's a segment of the DayZ community that wants to run around making friends with everyone, or capture people / get captured and role play those scenarios, but I just don't think it's a realistic goal to try and get the whole community to play that way.  I don't think it's a good idea to penalize people for playing the way they want to play, either.

I dont have a problem with players that KoS armed players, its totally understandable. Maybe they allready have a group, maybe they like goin solo, maybe its just their way of having fun.Who am I to tell other people how the game is to be played? Only thing i dont particulaly like is KoS on unarmed players especially now that the first few step you take on the game can be a little unforgiving if the server has been up for a while. Fresh spawns allready have trouble finding drink and food (more trouble is in findng food since we got wells). BUT i still dont have the right to say the game is not meant to be played that way. Its simple, there are guns in game, players are allowed to shoot other players. The rest is history. Write your story any way you like the world is yours to take. just my 2 cents

• Like 1

It be cool if killing players had a psychological effect on your character, like hearing/seeing things.

It's part of DayZ and always will be. I like to sometimes KOS, or sometimes communicate before I kill depending on how I feel. If you want to run around in the woods making bases than there is a game called Minecraft available on Xbox Live Arcade. Just make sure you ask permission from your parents before you subscribe!

Peace out.

CoD is ----> way..

ps they have tons of guns to....

CoD is ----> way..

This is such a ridiculous mentality.

"still ZERO PK's lifetime.... its all about choices. and i simply refuse to PK."

Why is that your signature, I wonder? Could it because it's something that is worth mentioning? If everyone treated each other nicely, there would be nothing particularly special or noteworthy about your "choice" to not PK. It's only special because it's uncommon. Why would you want to change that? You're obviously proud of your choice but it's only a choice because of how the game is currently designed. If features were added to discourage KoS then choosing not to PK would just be "playing the game" and it wouldn't be special or impressive at all.

Being good is only admirable if being evil is an option.

• Like 1

Being good is only admirable if being evil is an option.

Yes, but the opposite is also true. It would be better if there was a 50/50 split, right now it is about 99/1. :)