rocket

Security Vulnerabilities fixed by Patch #2 and Character wipe

If you want me to take you seriously, have the common decency not to mock me with your username.

don't worry about guys like that dean. We know your doing your best

Trial & error isn't how you write server software. Cheers.

Except - that's exactly how server software is written.

Bugs must first be identified in order to prevented. A company isn't going to waste its time trying to speculate on every potential hack from infiltrating its software. They are going to do exactly what Rocket and the Dev Team have done - release an alpha, discover relevant bugs and hacks related to weaknesses in their specific programming, then patch them.

It really is a rinse and repeat process. 

• Like 1

Let me guess, you're a Republican. Because your lack of comprehension is mind boggling. Also you argue like one. Your username is a perfect reflection.

Just a clear and honest review of the current alpha is miles ahead of the mod. Thank you for not participating and tainting the pool.

/Facepalm, what does being a conservative have to do with it.

Just Drop the political accusations guys. It will go nowhere.

Edited by BioHazard050

Why is this consistently the auto response to any statement that isn't nonsensical? You don't need to work for Bohemia to comment on software standards.

It's an alpha, the only standard I care about is "please don't brick my PC" or something similar. Otherwise, all is well.

Except - that's exactly how server software is written.

Bugs must first be identified in order to prevented. A company isn't going to waste its time trying to speculate on every potential hack from infiltrating its software. They are going to do exactly what Rocket and the Dev Team have done - release an alpha, discover relevant bugs and hacks related to weaknesses in their specific programming, then patch them.

It really is a rinse and repeat process. 

Server architecture does not and should not have bugs that allow users to spawn in loot. It is the ABC of Server-client architecture. Client sends request to the server and server replies whether this request is possible for the client or not. If people were able to spawn items than perhaps sadly SA = MOD

I did not want to believe the posts in reddit and here even though I saw maphack screens and godmod ON cheaters... Client requests should be looked into very carefully because this starts to smell like another game that had Z in its name...

Would you care to comment on the content of my post or is no one capable of anything other than ad hominem & strawmans?

I'm curious, what is your opinion of the ongoing character loss issues that were experienced for a large portion of the people playing GTA Online when it first released as a finished product? Ok, I'm not really curious just pointing out that even the some of the biggest and best funded projects run into massive problems. Do you know why? Because not everything can be anticipated, and trial and error is arguably the process by which everyone develops software. Your position is unfounded and unnecessary.  I don't think I speak for myself when I say that I am very excited about how much I get to be involved in the development of this product and also how optimistic I am for its future. You are obviously a troll.

• Like 3

its an alpha feel free to wipe the characters whenever u feel its best for the game..

anyone who gets huffy about losing a character, perhaps shouldnt be playing the SA yet...

Edited by Siberian

Server architecture does not and should not have bugs that allow users to spawn in loot. It is the ABC of Server-client architecture. Client sends request to the server and server replies whether this request is possible for the client or not. If people were able to spawn items than perhaps sadly SA = MOD

I did not want to believe the posts in reddit and here even though I saw maphack screens and godmod ON cheaters... Client requests should be looked into very carefully because this starts to smell like another game that had Z in its name...

From reddit by Rocket: 

Also, to confirm. Scripts in dayz are only used as design prototypes. They all get moved through as engine methods, written directly in C++.

So I largely agree with your point there - we have no plans on using scripts for core features, and all existing scripted features are slowly being written directly into the engine.

Source and also further insights from people that actually know what they are talking about in subcomments: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t5vp7/hacks_are_already_happening/ce4ukpj

Edited by Garainis

Sometimes, when you build a new architecture, you can forget to remove a part of the old one :)

• Like 4

Guess there is no other way

Nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure

• Like 17

I'm curious, what is your opinion of the ongoing character loss issues that were experienced for a large portion of the people playing GTA Online when it first released as a finished product?

What are you trying to say? That because other companies are also making rubbish mistakes that it's okay for other companies to as well? This is kind of WHY every company is labeling EVERYTHING as "early access".

I want someone here to tell me why any game developer wouldn't want to label their game as early access. It boosts sales. It boosts customer satisfaction. The reality is that "early access" has zero meaning at this point, and neither does "indie" when a game made by a company with 200 employees can label their game as such simply because they are their own publisher.

• Like 3

Sometimes, when you build a new architecture, you can forget to remove a part of the old one :)

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

• Like 4

-_-) I understand the value of this but cannot help but be dissapointed. I really wanted to see how long my first character could last. I was already 2 days in with a m4a1, sidearm, gasmask, huge pack, and tons of provisions.

Guess I will never know.

Don`t buy into alpha state games if you are dissapointed by wipes... It`s that simple really.

• Like 7

I want someone here to tell me why any game developer wouldn't want to label their game as early access. It boosts sales. It boosts customer satisfaction. The reality is that "early access" has zero meaning at this point, and neither does "indie" when a game made by a company with 200 employees can label their game as such simply because they are their own publisher.

Whats your point? Do you feel that Dean and the team falsely advertised the early access release of Alpha? Early access benefits everyone. Gamers get to test the game at a discounted price and contribute to its development by identifying bugs and potential improvements. In the end, because of the early access, the finished product will be a polished, complete piece and not just another rehash Call of duty 

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

9e7b6a0ef63496cc82698bbd372c50f2bbff3171

• Like 4

Hate to backseat moderate and I promise never to do it again but this feels like an exceptional case.

2) Flaming:

Any material which constitutes defamation, harassment, or abuse is strictly prohibited, this includes the Personal Message Service.

Use common sense while posting.

Get this guy out of here.

Anyways, good call on the entire wipe. Look forward to seeing how security develops. I'm optimistic!

• Like 3

i still have my character for some reason, i thought re loggin into steam would do the trick but nope...still got it.

And what`s your point? What exactly are you contributing here besides bashing Rocket? Because so far you are throwing around random accusations without any specifics that lead nowhere.

Noice now the KOS cunts will be on the same level as the rest of us.

First post? Welcome to the forums...

• Like 5

S. Titov, i know no1 likes your game. And everyones moving to DayZ. But crying here won't help it at all.

Edited by OntyCZE
  • Like 5

It doesn't really matter if you take my words seriously, does it?

Do you even care if you're taken seriously? How cool is this kind of trolling?

I see that you like to discuss about games sold as alpha nowadays and how awful it is. Do a topic in off-topic and discuss there how bad practice it is and how people are beign ripped off and maybe people will start to discuss about it. DayZ isn't the only game that is doing it now and you can find discussion about games sold as an alpha everywhere around the internet so I'm not interested to hear again and again of one liners about that on many topics where we shouldn't discuss about it.

• Like 3

What are you trying to say? That because other companies are also making rubbish mistakes that it's okay for other companies to as well? This is kind of WHY every company is labeling EVERYTHING as "early access".

What I'm saying is that problems are unavoidable, and the important thing is how you deal with those problems.  Developing something is an ongoing process.  Early access is brilliant in that it gives the opportunity for good ideas to be developed into complete products whilst avoiding compromising vision. It also allows consumers to invest their dollars into something in which they enjoy and believe.  Freedom is important when one is realizing their vision. This is exactly why Hollywood flops happen so consistently, and precisely why great games are being developed by indie studios these days.  What we got with the Alpha release of this game was the ability to vote for its continued development, and unless my calculations are wrong that has been achieved.

• Like 2

Please refer to this:

From reddit by Rocket: 

Also, to confirm. Scripts in dayz are only used as design prototypes. They all get moved through as engine methods, written directly in C++.

So I largely agree with your point there - we have no plans on using scripts for core features, and all existing scripted features are slowly being written directly into the engine.

a temporary template caused this issue. It will be improved upon thanks to discoveries in early access.