rocket

Security Vulnerabilities fixed by Patch #2 and Character wipe

Had a mosin, 20 rnds, long range scope, tons of food/2 canteens two medkits etc...

I'm still thankful, so don't pay attention to noobs raging. :)

This is awesome news. Glad to see you and the are actively patching what needs to be fixed and doing the clean wipe. Certainly unlike many other big games and devs (BF4).

This announcement gets more more stoked for the future.

Clearly, by some of these responses, you people shouldn't have bought the alpha. Anytime I load up the game, I expect to spawn fresh on the coast. Not bothered by it at all.

• Like 3

Noice now the KOS cunts will be on the same level as the rest of us.

I was fully geard, but i don't mind at all it's fun to gear up and every security hole that are beeing plugged is great.

The source of the big delay in getting DayZ out was because of the new architecture that we built. As part of this, we spent a great deal of time making very efficient and new ways of doing things. Many of the problems of ArmA for security were by design, doors used by the application to achieve its needs. In ArmA these could not be closed, in DayZ we no longer need them. We thought we had closed some of them, but we found one and we've fixed it. However because some people will have spawned items, we decided to wipe the database to provide a clean slate.

All existing characters have been killed, if you are currently logged in when you next join your character will be dead.

This is all part of the testing process, we've identified some additional areas of security and enabled some we had left off so we could really see the holes in the architecture without having to rely on the higher tier security measures. Because the vulnerability would allow a player to create items (and they had been) we have decided to wipe the whole database. We could not announce this, as we didn't want to encourage those exploiting to try and figure out a way of leaving items on the ground. We have killed all characters in the database, who existed after all our servers moved to the new version (0.29).

Please Note: It is more than likely that we will, much like other software, be continually identifying and patching these kinds of critical security vulnerabilities.

Important updates like this WILL attract database wipes during the alpha process. We apologize for the inconvenience but I am sure everyone can agree, it is not fair to keep going with the bad data and some of the unfinished items were spawned in game - which could cause crashes and other issues thus confusing our alpha testing. Many people were experiencing crashes relating to these items that had been created in the game.

I realize this is a little vague, but its our policy to be suitably vague about specifics regarding implemented security measures.

Good Deal.. NEVER realease how to find exploits .. This is the right thing to do. If anyone is upset about loosing toons in testing they should uninstall the game. This is part of testing.. Keep up the great work. Game looks and runs great. Can not wait to see what you all come up with over the months to come. 
Edited by Dobrowney

there is a ban hammer associated to this? i hope those hackers got the hammer for good, so the only way for them to come back is to buy the game again, and this time play fair.

Why would you ban them?  They're pronouncing flaws that need to be fixed.

this guy is clearly an expert on the bohemia's engine

Why is this consistently the auto response to any statement that isn't nonsensical? You don't need to work for Bohemia to comment on software standards.

• Like 1

The source of the big delay in getting DayZ out was because of the new architecture that we built. As part of this, we spent a great deal of time making very efficient and new ways of doing things. Many of the problems of ArmA for security were by design, doors used by the application to achieve its needs. In ArmA these could not be closed, in DayZ we no longer need them. We thought we had closed some of them, but we found one and we've fixed it. However because some people will have spawned items, we decided to wipe the database to provide a clean slate.

All existing characters have been killed, if you are currently logged in when you next join your character will be dead.

This is all part of the testing process, we've identified some additional areas of security and enabled some we had left off so we could really see the holes in the architecture without having to rely on the higher tier security measures. Because the vulnerability would allow a player to create items (and they had been) we have decided to wipe the whole database. We could not announce this, as we didn't want to encourage those exploiting to try and figure out a way of leaving items on the ground. We have killed all characters in the database, who existed after all our servers moved to the new version (0.29).

Please Note: It is more than likely that we will, much like other software, be continually identifying and patching these kinds of critical security vulnerabilities.

Important updates like this WILL attract database wipes during the alpha process. We apologize for the inconvenience but I am sure everyone can agree, it is not fair to keep going with the bad data and some of the unfinished items were spawned in game - which could cause crashes and other issues thus confusing our alpha testing. Many people were experiencing crashes relating to these items that had been created in the game.

I realize this is a little vague, but its our policy to be suitably vague about specifics regarding implemented security measures.

I thought the global database and architecture would help in a way that such items disappearing would be doable from your side, as in taking out the item from everyone's inventory without needing to nuke everyone. Not particularly a fan of this move. Guess there is no other way

i was kickt from the server when patch was come live,update the game enter back to the server and i am live with gear

Edited by BluDni

AH, my precious Canopener!! i want it back  >:(

Well poop, ah well it IS an alpha.  :P

JUST GIVE ME TIMEZONE BASED SERVERS DANGIT.  ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

haha told my friend: yeah man i have everthing, m4a1 5 mags.... tons of food/drinks, awesome clothings and than BAM :D

good job dean, fortunately you found this backdoor and closed it! Great work keep it on, will see you in chernarus :)

Don't feed the troll. :)

Meanwhile,

Server software is written by predicting the future by eating a lot of rotten kiwis of course.

Is trolling defined as "being cynical" ?

Meanwhile,

Is trolling defined as "being cynical" ?

Seriously can you just ban this guy? He is annoying as fuck..

• Like 13

Right, so instead of implementing a "MMO framework" your plan was to "leave it as is" and slowly plug holes under the pretense/shield of "it's Alpha!". Yeah, nah. I loved the mod, I had great hopes for this game last year but I'm glad I didn't buy nor will I likely ever, especially if this "Alpha" is expected to last up to a year.Trial & error isn't how you write server software. Cheers.

If you want me to take you seriously, have the common decency not to mock me with your username.

Hey Rocket,

Just wanted to thank you guys for releasing the game early (most likely earlier than you wanted to!) so that we could all mess around and have some fun. I think you and your team have done a fantastic job so far, and will continue to do a great job. Don't think your efforts go un-noticed! I respect the fact that you are straight up and tell it how it is as well.

IMHO I think you're probably going to cop a lot more hate than usual purely because the game is on Steam. A much wider audience has now been exposed, and a lot of them couldn't care less for the effort you've been putting in for so long. They have that "I paid for this and i shouldn't have to deal with bugs / deserve better" mentality (which sucks...). I doubt any of them read the warning not to purchase the game if they don't want an unfinished product...

Edit: #1 DayZ rule: Never get attached to your gear!

Anyways sorry for waffling on,

Xiroth.

Edited by Xiroth
  • Like 1

Had to respawn anyway. 

Just got blindsided by a zombie (i thought they made a noise while charging?) after fumbling in the dark for 2 hours. Bled to death while running blind in the pitch dark. I'll head to the beach! 

+10

dont care if i lose stuff for security purpose...

and its kinda easy to find new stuff... :D dont know why most of ppl cryin :D l2p guys

• Like 1

Fully agree with the actions taken. Also, we all knew we'd lose everything VERY OFTEN ;)

Just checked: I'm still there with new version. Your genocide was a fail :D

Edited by IOnlyCampMyFireplace

Right, so instead of implementing a "MMO framework" your plan was to "leave it as is" and slowly plug holes under the pretense/shield of "it's Alpha!". Yeah, nah. I loved the mod, I had great hopes for this game last year but I'm glad I didn't buy nor will I likely ever, especially if this "Alpha" is expected to last up to a year.Trial & error isn't how you write server software. Cheers.

Let me guess, you're a Republican. Because your lack of comprehension is mind boggling. Also you argue like one. Your username is a perfect reflection.

Just a clear and honest review of the current alpha is miles ahead of the mod. Thank you for not participating and tainting the pool.

• Like 5

Sweet. 2 hackers were teleporting next to me trying to get me to give them blood and killing me for not complying. After 4 tries, (I spawn, they appear, try to restrain me) One guy glitched and I was able to knock the other guys out with my fists. lol. Took all his gear (he was fully kitted) and logged off. It was fun.

Let me guess, you're a Republican. Because your lack of comprehension is mind boggling. Also you argue like one. Your username is a perfect reflection.

Would you care to comment on the content of my post or is no one capable of anything other than ad hominem & strawmans?

• Like 1

Keep up the good work Dean&Co
Really enjoying the Game so far, even though i miss my built base
including a safe(love it), suv and of course the huey
i´m in a thrill of anticipation for the things to come
ty for the mod and ty for DayZsa

Edited by dawud