Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

As a long time fan and player of DayZ SA I need to confirm rickyriot's opinion.

Furhtermore I have to say that the devs let people wait way too long. Instead of just pushing the current build, in what ever state it is, to experimental, they nearly polish it to a diamond before. This can be the case for Stable. But experimental is for testing the current build. So why aren't they just putting it on experimenal now?

Sad but true: DayZ SA is dead. Even the creator of DayZ itself said in 2013 to not buy this game in its current state. This tells a lot about the game and the creator in my opinion. When he wrote this he already knew the game will die.

So, @Hicks_206 (DayZ), maybe better I write @eugenharton: please put everything on experimental NOW (I mean next week at least) and let the community help you instead of just being behind your office table and being p*issed off the game alone.

Final anwer:

BUY IT if you are OK with only 1 to 2 updates per years without much new content

BUY IT if you are OK to play on nearly empty servers and accept cheaters (BattEy, sorry, is just crap-ware)

BUY IT if you already played Operation Flashpoint 16 years ago

otherwise don't buy it.

Edited by Normalement

4 hours ago, Normalement said:

As a long time fan and player of DayZ SA I need to confirm rickyriot's opinion.

Furhtermore I have to say that the devs let people wait way too long. Instead of just pushing the current build, in what ever state it is, to experimental, they nearly polish it to a diamond before. This can be the case for Stable. But experimental is for testing the current build. So why aren't they just putting it on experimenal now?

Sad but true: DayZ SA is dead. Even the creator of DayZ itself said in 2013 to not buy this game in its current state. This tells a lot about the game and the creator in my opinion. When he wrote this he already knew the game will die.

So, @Hicks_206 (DayZ), maybe better I write @eugenharton: please put everything on experimental NOW (I mean next week at least) and let the community help you instead of just being behind your office table and being p*issed off the game alone.

Final anwer:

BUY IT if you are OK with only 1 to 2 updates per years without much new content

BUY IT if you are OK to play on nearly empty servers and accept cheaters (BattEy, sorry, is just crap-ware)

BUY IT if you already played Operation Flashpoint 16 years ago

otherwise don't buy it.

Great first post hahahahaha

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎17 at 5:05 AM, rickyriot said:

I have been a constant supporter of DayZ, this is not a hatchet job, but an honest reply to the topic's title question.

---

Simple answer is no. After years of waiting and watching an eternal car crash my sympathy for DayZ is now depleted.

There are lots, and I mean LOTS, of games that can give the game experience that DayZ offers. That wasn't the case before, but when I look at games like Miscreated, 7 Days to Die, even things like Plunkbat there is a wealth of titles now which might not match like for like but they perform capably which is something that can never be said for DayZ. Not now, and not even when Dean first released SA.

It's a shame but DayZ is dead. The servers are empty, the people who initially bought the EA up to four years ago are (mostly) p*ssed off they were taken for fools, and the chance to make an impact has long gone. Essentially the devs are swimming against the stream and with every delay, every step back, it just makes people realise what a waste of time it is waiting for DayZ to be worth playing. No amount of Beta, which in itself has already been delayed - after years of  delay - can convince people Bohemia/DayZ are capable of producing a decent play experience.

As it is, buying the game now is (literally) like throwing your money away. Buying it when Beta hits (heh, if it _ever_ does) is a sign of optimistic folly. In fact the ONLY way I could recommend buying the game is when Beta has been released, tested, played, and been found capable of producing a decent gaming experience, and with all the best will in the world, that simply isn't going to happen and that has been shown up by the way the game has been developed so far.

So, not quite a Duke Nukem vapourware, but by God it's not far off it.

Sorry people, this is an honest opinion, and if anyone involved in the game are annoyed or insulted by my comments but the bottom line is this is genuinely how I feel.

^^^

This....Just wrote basically this in a much shorter version in another thread.  Many of us who bought EA back 4 years ago, fought, and waited, and were patient.....Low and Behold.... 4 years+ later.... its the SAME issues....

Same shitty zombies, same boring ass loot, no chance of finding any interesting weaponry, can run around for hours town to town out in the open without a care in the world cause it will be a cold day in hell before you see anyone, broken mechanics all over...

Just....sad....

Like the quoted post said....

NO 

You know, I've been waiting for this game to come out of early access because as a consumer, I read reviews and really consider my purchases. I'm a huge survival horror, zombie fan and the realism presented here could potentially be next level, or rather MY next level. I enjoy the crap out of Dying Light and I really enjoy the meelee combat mechanics and the parkour elements as well. However, Dying Light is very hokey and unrealistic and I've been yearning for something more like Day Z but with better fight mechanics. 

My question is, are there any plans in the future to provide different zombie types? I mean, I'm not expecting zombies from Dying Light, but from the videos I've seen, it looks like there's just one kind of zombie. They see you and they continue to chase you forever. They have retained all of their limbs and look like humans. There are no slow zombies. There are no severly deteriorated zombies. There are no torso zombies that have been relegated to shuffling themselves along the ground. They are all the same. Don't get me wrong, these changes scheduled for the beta release all sound amazing and point to the future that I've wanted, but who cares when one feature of the game (zombies in an apocalyptic alternate reality) all react and behave the same exact way. I can equate the current behavior of the Zs to Virals in Dying Light. In the lore, Virals are the freshly zombified. They retain a lot of their human behavior and their muscles haven't completely deteriorated, allowing them the ability to move quickly. However, mostly there are the shambling and shuffling zombies. They are easy to avoid and tough to manage in numbers. I think having this variety can offer different possibilities in dealing with threats ahead of you.

My other question is, in the name of realism, are there going to be any opportunities to climb over fences or mount waist-high objects? I'm really not expecting parkour at all (although, that aspect of DL is really fun) because it's not very realistic. In all my research in viewing Day Z streams and the like, I've only seen people running around a fence to gain entry to an area. That doesn't seem realistic either. If it were me, I'd gladly hop over that fence or mount that barrier to get away from the Z. Then, once you're on the other side, Zs are too stupid to find the opening in the fence to eat your brains, right? Again, I'm not expecting to be able to tic-tac up a wall, but some simple maneuvering mechanics would be well received in my opinion. 

Those are all my concerns thus far. I would like to thank the devs for sticking by this game and continuing it's development. From what I've seen so far, I think you guys have done an amazing job, however, it's not without it's caveats and I think they all know that. To all the haters and complainers, it's early access so suck it. You agreed to it when you purchased it and complaining isn't going to get us anywhere. Encouragement wins, guys. Continue to report your bugs but lay off the devs, please. You've gotta hand it to them for being a small game company and producing a game that's been downloaded countless times.

As for me, I think I'll be taking the plunge soon. I'm getting tired of Dying Light. I'm a super hero in that game and I think it's time for me to be a whiney little noob again.

PS: Your environments could use some merchandising. They are very sterile and plain. Take notes from games like Skyrim and Fallout. Sometimes part of the fun is discovering the environment you happen to come across. 

On 10/11/2017 at 3:58 AM, Jason Lising said:

You know, I've been waiting for this game to come out of early access because as a consumer, I read reviews and really consider my purchases. I'm a huge survival horror, zombie fan and the realism presented here could potentially be next level, or rather MY next level. I enjoy the crap out of Dying Light and I really enjoy the meelee combat mechanics and the parkour elements as well. However, Dying Light is very hokey and unrealistic and I've been yearning for something more like Day Z but with better fight mechanics. 

From reading that, it sounds like you are crying out for Arma with a DayZ-esque mod. Both Arma2 Dayz mod, the thing that started it all, is still available as are numerous other Arma2 mods. Full servers are a little thin on the ground, mind, but it's still an active community. Now, Arma3 is a different matter. It's going strong and has a plethora of mods you can apply to get that zombie hunting fix.

DayZ the standalone might either be completely broken or due a surprising Lazarus like resurrection from the death, but in the meantime that shouldn't stop you shooting zombies in Chernarus. There are a lot of mods, so I won't recommend one in particular but I have a friend absolute loving how Desolation (Redux) is coming along.. http://desolationredux.com/

Reading the last few pages of this thread gave me pause for thought.....

But quite simply...I have had enough adventure within the various builds since I installed it that regardless of the final outcome I really can't say it was money wasted. No way, no how.

I "understand" more about how SA got here, and more about gaming in general through the years of following this Alpha than I ever originally expected, and I am aware that there is value in the journey that can't be quantified by ticking off boxes.

I work really long hours....stressed...and I have a passion that eats up most of any free time I manage to find, so having DayZ ready when I just need to immerse myself in Chenarus as a way of "switching off" has been priceless.

I own two copies, so friends can join in when they want, and that basically adds up to one single AAA title elsewhere.

The question might very well be "Is DayZ SA worth Investing in?" I didn't Buy it... I paid for a ticket to go on a journey that was without a final destination and without any guarantee there would be sex after dinner.... I still gave it a shot.

Worked for me.

• Like 1

I have played DayZ since the mod came out and i have loved every single minute of it, There is NO game in this entire universe that even comes close to DayZ. I understand that people have been waiting years for this game to be finished trust me I'm one of them but a game like this takes time and all of you seem to think that you can just make a map slap some buildings and loot spawns in it and be done with it. DayZ is THE only game that will give you anxiety when crossing an open field and it's the only game that makes you jump out of your chair when you hear that snap of a sniper shot buzzing past your head. When BETA is released i believe DayZ will get back to it's former glory.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Whitley said:

When a server crashes. How long in minutes do you get set back on the server.

you get set back to November 9, 2017.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1